Need help accessing my library.

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

squishyj

Need help accessing my library.

Post by squishyj »

I think I can shorten this, rather than telling you what I've done, since I am new to MM (from VLC) why don't I tell you what I am trying to accomplish, and maybe someone can tell me how I can get there.

I have 9 PCs a couple of phones and one tablet on my network. One of the PCs acts as a file server. All of my media is stored there. What I want basically, is the easiest way to access the media from the server on each device the same way every time on all devices. Whenever I want to play something now, I have to go to UPNP, then my server, then location, etc etc to get to what I am looking for. Is there a way to "Map" a location and have it accessible right from the home screen or somewhere convenient? I sure hope I explained that properly.

The other thing I am wondering is if I can copy playlists to all of the devices? It would be so groovy if I could open a folder on say my tablet, clicked a playlist and have it start playing. If that's not an option, and in fact, this may even be better, if the "mapping" I described above was to work, I could simply map the playlists for ease of access, which is my main objective.

Also, I suspect I know the answer to this, but unless you copy all of the media to the devices, nothing is available offline? What exactly does "syncing" do? And if you do copy everything to individual devices, is it in its original size? I ask this because It would be great to not actually store anything on the devices, just make them all clients to the server, is this possible?

Thanks a bunch in advance, I've always found these forums to be very helpful and informative.

J
Lowlander

Re: Need help accessing my library.

Post by Lowlander »

1) There is no Mapping. MMW can scan files from a UPnP server, but UPnP isn't really designed for this (it will work though). MMA can't do this.

2) Yes, you'll need a local copy if the server is offline (or not on the same network).

3) You can configure how files are synced. It can be as originals or as converted files (to formats the device support or to a smaller file size so the device's limited storage can support more files).
squishyj

Post by squishyj »

Thanks very much for taking the time to reply. Seems with MM, I cannot achieve what I had hoped. I thought it would be pretty common for someone to have a network or a nas and want all of their devices to share from it.

Thanks again,
jiri

Post by jiri »

To extend the answer a bit: we are aware that similar scenarios are quite common and users would like to see more from MM. There are already new features implemented in MM5 (currently alpha), particularly in relation to cloud storage, be it GDrive, OneDrive or even Google Play Music service.

1) I think that scanning of a UPnP server to your local library would work well in your case, wouldn't it? It would offer streaming, or even off-line access (depending on configuration) and is already implemented in MM4, a better version is being added to MM5 and later we'd like to add it to the Android version as well.

Would be interested in your feedback or even beta testing of what MM5 offers...

Jiri