Suddenly unable to download to SD card library

Get answers about the current release of MediaMonkey for Android

Moderator: Gurus

Sproaticus

Suddenly unable to download to SD card library

Post by Sproaticus »

I'm running MMA v1.3.1.0732 on an Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow LG phone. Late last night, I tried to do a wifi sync (PC is Windows 7 64 bit running MM v.4.1.10.1778). This is something I've done daily for years, and this is the first time it failed in this fashion. The wifi sync mostly worked, in that the played metadata was uploaded to the PC, except now each of the new podcast tracks failed to download. This suggests to me that MMA is successfully connecting to to MMW, and that the failure is in the download.

These tracks should download into the library on the SD card. SD card is 128 GB, and has about 45 GB free.

So anyway, I rebooted the phone, and closed out of MM on the PC, and restarted both. Tried wifi sync again, same results.

I've uninstalled MMA entirely, and reinstalled from the Play store (v1.3.1.0732). Made sure to follow the instructions to allow MMA to access storage. Tried another wifi sync, same failure.

This time around, I notice that the MMA Options -> Sync Settings location only shows my internal storage. Last time I configured this (Last Friday IIRC) this setting had both the internal storage and the SD card. Since this is where I go to select which playlists to sync, I'm confident I would have noticed if it were missing last week when I added two new playlists.

I verified in the Choose Library Folders setting, that both the internal storage and SD card are present, and are also set to receive music.

I also notice that the spinning wheel shows up at the top of the app for extended periods of time. I'm not sure what that means, but that spinning wheel is definitely more active than usual.

I'm pretty bummed, MMA really makes my daily commute bearable. Today, instead of enjoying my massive podcast and music collection, I listened to NPR. I am more than happy to provide logs or database files or whatever is needed to get this fixed.

Thanks,
Jeremy
Lowlander

Re: Suddenly unable to download to SD card library

Post by Lowlander »

Start with updating MMW to 4.1.19. You need to keep both MMA and MMW updated for successful wifi sync as they're tuned to each other (a fix in one often requires a fix in the other too).
Sproaticus

Post by Sproaticus »

Lowlander wrote:Start with updating MMW to 4.1.19. You need to keep both MMA and MMW updated for successful wifi sync as they're tuned to each other (a fix in one often requires a fix in the other too).
Ah. I tried upgrading MMW to 4.1.19 last night, and got a stream of SQL errors on startup. The application was not responsive, and I ended up restoring from yesterday's backup to make it usable again.

This is kind of a pain, since MMA updates automatically and somewhat silently thanks to Google, whereas MMW needs to be updated by hand. Is there any way we can proceed without upgrading MMW first, or are the two that tightly coupled?

Jeremy
Sproaticus

Post by Sproaticus »

For kicks and giggles, I upgraded MMW to 4.1.19. The app starts up, I briefly see a "upgrading library database" or some such, then the full-page ad for HDTracks.com... then the error window pops up:
There was a problem querying the database: Error executing SQL statement "DROP TABLE _TempPlaylistContent_21" : database table is locked (6,6)
I can click the "cancel" button and it goes away, and a similar message pops up again. I can click that away as well, but the app is unusable. I can see the folders in my library, but no media files. Occasionally, the app locks up, to where it needs to be killed via task manager.

The status bar at the bottom of the app window says it's monitoring 0 of 0 in a folder that's not in my library. That folder exists, in fact it used to be the root folder of my library several years ago. But it's empty now.

This is basically the same behavior I saw when I upgraded MMW last night. Unless there's a simple fix for this, I'm inclined to revert back to v4.1.10.

Jeremy
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Sounds like you have another instance of MediaMonkey open (that can cause the locked error). If your setup is different you may not have updated the MediaMonkey version you were using (installing in same folder and Portable vs. Regular install).

Which version of Windows are you using and did you ever enable the MediaMonkey Service?
Sproaticus

Post by Sproaticus »

OS is Windows 7 Pro, SP1, 64-bit.

So it looks like the UPnP/DLNA service is running within the application (the "Enabled" checkbox is checked and status is "Running"), but it doesn't appear that it was installed as a Windows system-level service. I also verified by querying WMI for Win32_Service and checking anything that might have "Monkey" in the PathName, but nothing turned up there either.

I can't find another instance of MMW running, either in the task bar or in task manager. I did have to kill the process via task manager at least once, so it didn't have a clean shutdown...could this cause a locking issue next time it runs?

Jeremy
Sproaticus

Post by Sproaticus »

As it stands right now, between MMW and MMA I have 2 unusable apps. Until I get an official support response, I'm going to revert MMW back to v4.1.10 so I can at least access my library.

EDIT: The more I think about, the less inclined I am to believe it's a version incompatibility. This is because a fresh installation of MMA still won't let me change sync settings for the SD card.

(I mean, yeah, I obviously need to upgrade my MMW, and I will when that specific issue is resolved, but I think that's a separate unrelated issue right now.)

Jeremy