Sync between two Computers

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

Surffreak

Sync between two Computers

Post by Surffreak »

Hey guys,

I wasn't sure if my question fits into this section, so please correct me if it doesn't.

I wanna synchronize my Music Library (~90 GB) with a second Computer. So the database, the music itself, playlists and so on need to be synchronized.
Is there any possibility to do so?

Should it be necessary a one sided sync would be ok, when changes are only done at the first computer and the second always checks if something changed and then copies the files. However this wouldn't be the high-end solution, but also fine with me.

Thanks for any ideas!

Julian
lordphoenix

Is there an easy way to sync two computers?

Post by lordphoenix »

I have a desktop with MM on it and recently got a laptop that I'd like to have MM on as well. Is there an easy way to sync libraries between the two computers? I've found several topics on this issue from a year or two ago and the answer was "no," but I didn't see any recent ones and thought I'd ask again.

If this feature doesn't exist (like a cloud sync feature), it would be hugely beneficial to users with more than one computer :)
Last edited by Lowlander on Sun Apr 06, 2014 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Merged with existing post
Pietercape

Re: Sync between two Computers

Post by Pietercape »

I use MM on my desktop and also on a laptop (for use when away) and I treat my desktop as the master ie I make changes and add music to the desktop first. All the tagging etc is done on the desktop. Once a week I use Karin's Replicator (free - available here http://www.karenware.com/powertools/ptreplicator.asp) to sync the desktop database to a portable disk drive. The portable disk now has an exact copy of the database including tags etc. I then use Karen's replicator again to sync the laptop database with that of the portable drive. All that is left then is to Add/Rescan files to the library on the laptop. Karen's Replicator is extremely fast and efficient and I have found it absolutely reliable.
Lifetime Gold - User for 18 years
Library 23k tracks
maritn

[HOW TO] Sync your library across multiple PCs

Post by maritn »

This is how I managed to sync my music library across multiple PCs. It has been working fine for some months now, so I'd like to share my solution with you. What you need for this:
I. TrueCrypt (TC) (I'm sure it will work with other encryption software too, but
II. Cloud service (CS) like DropBox, OneDrive, ...

You will NOT need to change your drive ID.

1. Download and install TrueCrypt.
2. Create a small TC container. Mine is 10 MB with ~6MB occupied (did not change over time).
3. Mount your container with the desired drive letter.
4. Add your volume to your favorites.
5. Create a symblic link in your container.
5.1 Open cmd.exe
5.2 Create a symbolic link using "mklink /j <Link> <Target>", so e.g. "mklink /j K:\MyMusicLink C:\OneDrive\Music\MyMP3s" (without the "s)
6. Create a .bat-file in your Autorun folder:

@echo off
c:
cd "PATH TO TC EXE"
truecrypt /v PATH TO TC CONTAINER /lm /a /p PASSWORD /q

7. Install MediaMonkey (MM) as protable version & open once to create a database.
8. Use your TC volume to access your music from MM.
9. Close MM and opy the DB.MM from MediaMonkey/Protable to your CS.
10. Go to MediaMonkey/Portable and open MediaMonkey.ini with a text editor.
11. At the end of [System], add the following line:

DBName=PATH TO YOUR DB, e.g. DBName=D:\OneDrive\MM.DB

Done (unless I have forgotten anything)! I have not tested this setup with the music saved locally instead of in the cloud, so I don't know how well it works otherwise. Also, I did not test this setup with music stored on a NAS or other network storage. Feel free to give your feedback, so other users know if these options are also valid.

What's still not perfect:
a.) On my PC, after logon, I get the error message "The volume you're trying to mount is already mounted". But this only happens if I did not manually open TC the last time... strange behaviour, as this does not happen on my Laptop and I think I did nothing differently...
b.) Don't open MM on more than one device at the same time.
Hexasphere

Sync database on 2 PC's

Post by Hexasphere »

Hello
I have media monkey on 2 PC's. One is in my house and neaqr my NAS with my music store. The other is in my outdoor office also connected by the network to the NAS.
If I try to update my whole library to my office PC it takes a day or so. Whereas the indoor PC updates the library in an hour or so. I have tried to take the MM.DB file to the office Pc but it doesn't seem to have the same information set. It has all of the tracks but not the folders. Is there a way that I could make both PC's see the same set of information without running "Add / Rescan files to the Library"
Or is there a better way

Thank you

Sam
gordol

Sync two Windows computers

Post by gordol »

I now have MediaMonkey Gold installed on two Win10 computers, my personal desktop and my personal laptop. My actual media library is on drive F on both machines. It's too large to fit on the C drive.

I want to keep the two installs in sync with each other. When I was using iTunes, this wasn't an issue, as I was able to direct iTunes to keep its database on the same drive as the library, then just synch the entire drive. Can the same thing be done with MediaMonkey? Or, where does MediaMonkey keep its database (playlists, metadata, etc) so I can sync those as well?

I thought I found it in "c\users\{myname}\AppData\Roaming\MediaMonkey" but when I copied that over, I didn't get my playlists.
Per online docimentation, I also looked in "c\users\{myname}\AppData\Local\MediaMonkey" but that has no actual data in it.
dtsig

Re: Sync two Windows computers

Post by dtsig »

You can install a 'portable' install which allows you to put mmw where you want
Where's the db and ini stored
Reporting Bugs
Where tags are stored

Not affiliated with MediaMonkey ... just a RABID user/lover
DTSig
mrmascari

Post by mrmascari »

How does one do this?
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

RonZimmerman

Trying to get my head around MM

Post by RonZimmerman »

I have MMW installed on 3 Windows computers. I sync my music to 3 folders on each computer; D:/Music, so the files are identical and locations are identical. i have installed MMW on the 3 computers. How can I sync the MM db to the 3 computers so when I update one, they all update? And the playlists are identical? I use synctoy to sync. I could sync the MM folder. I have read about using a Portable option in MM, but it seems more if you are using a central location for music.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
Using same MM.Db on all three PCs while tracks are in local folders on each PC as a copies is not possible in MMW as MMW detects that they are copies and handle them as such.

To explain. MMW uses HDD partition Serial Number to Detect Storage places. So in order to make it working on all three PCS you would need to Change Partition serial Numbers to be exactly the same on all of them and them MMW would work.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
RonZimmerman

Trying to use e computers with MM

Post by RonZimmerman »

I would like to use MM on 3 computers. I put my music in D:/ Music on all computers. If I load MM on 3 computers, is there any way to keep them in sync? Can I use synctoy to move the MM files to another computer and will this work? From reading some posts, it seems the portable install is only good if you want access to only one music location? Is this correct? I want a music library I can access while in the air with my laptop, no internet. Is there any sort of owner's manual explaining any of this? The Wiki seems very bare.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
NO, When you move Files from one PC to another PC HDD Serial Numbers on HDD Partition Differs so MMW will assume that all tracks are new.

See my Attached Picture and if each partition is different PCs those serial Numbers needs to be same in order to MMW recognize them as same. There are apps that can change that, but you need to be careful. More you can read here https://www.partitionwizard.com/help/ch ... umber.html and here https://michlstechblog.info/blog/window ... or-volume/
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts