Ignore prefixes when sorting..

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

smartmart

Ignore prefixes when sorting..

Post by smartmart »

Hi all, just trying to make my searches easier...
In options to IGNORE PREFIXES WHEN SORTING it says - The - by default, Well that's fine and understood.
In the POP UP for this option it says " To sort 'The Beatles' will also find 'Beatles' as the 'The' is being ignored from the search. To add more put them in ','

Well I tried but got confused because I want to add ' to the ignore list. So I tried 'The' ' ' ' and it didn't work..

When I search my library for - Youre The Best - I get a couple of results. But - You're - gives me loads. Just an example..

What am I not understanding?
Thanks. Martin.
smartmart normaly, with the exception of computing...
MMFrLife

Re: Ignore prefixes when sorting..

Post by MMFrLife »

smartmart wrote:To add more put them in ','
If you are talking about Options > Library > Appearance > ignore prefixes..... :

It doesn't say "put them in". Actual wording is "(separate multiple prefixes with a ',')".

You merely highlight multiple prefixes in the "options field" by separating them with a comma. As in, ' , ' (without the quotes).
In the options field you would list prefixes such as: the a an etc. as [the, a, an].
smartmart wrote:When I search my library for - Youre The Best - I get a couple of results. But - You're - gives me loads. Just an example.
This is expected, as most examples of the word - you're - would likely be spelled just that way in cd rip databases (thus many search results)
and only a few examples would be spelled youre.

I'm not sure I fully understand what you are asking, but I hope this helps.
MM user since 2003 (lifetime lic. 2012) "Trying to imagine life without music gives me a headache"
Top 2 scripts: RegExp Find & Replace (e.v.) and Magic Nodes (e.v.) ZvezdanD's scripts site
Please take a moment to read the bottom of the linked page to support the one and only - ZvezdanD! (the "originator" since 2006).
MMW 4.1.31.1919; 5.0.4.2690 || back it up...frequently!
|| software for power users: "Q-Dir" (free alt. to explorer) and file/folder renamer: "ReNamer" (den4b)
"The absurd is the essential concept and the first truth"
😜
smartmart

Post by smartmart »

Thanks MMForlife.
See, I am stupid....

So simply....youre,you're,
that was simple and thank you. Trying it now.
smartmart

Post by smartmart »

Yes you understood.. And thanks for the help.
Just tried separating with a comma. Didn't work. Also tried separating with a comma and a space. Didn't work.
I realise the correct spelling is - you're. And CD rips normally have this correct.

However, My vinyl and tape collection that was digitised by a lazy person who tagged - youre, and not - you're, is now feeling the heat....ME...

So is there a way for MM to ignore this?
MMFrLife

Post by MMFrLife »

Note, in your original post you were talking about 2 different things.
1st is sorting and the 2nd is searching. The "ignore" setting had to do with "sorting" only (like by columns).

For searching, there are other tricks like:
If I search for Van Morrison I'll likely get Van with some other artists that refer to Van in other fields.
So, I refine with Van Morrison;Astral Weeks this brings me that particular album but it doesn't quite do it
because a couple of songs by Jeff Buckley are there too (it makes a comparison to van and astral weeks in comments).
I further refine by Van Morrison;Astral Weeks;-Jeff

Now only Astral Weeks songs are present.

You could try something like "you're;-youre" (no quotes)
But even with this, you might still get results with just "your" in other fields, like comments.
--> You can also do things like artist:you're or title:you're to get only you're or youre (depending on one used) in artist or title.

Just play around with it in the meantime,and maybe someone else will chime in with other methods.
MM user since 2003 (lifetime lic. 2012) "Trying to imagine life without music gives me a headache"
Top 2 scripts: RegExp Find & Replace (e.v.) and Magic Nodes (e.v.) ZvezdanD's scripts site
Please take a moment to read the bottom of the linked page to support the one and only - ZvezdanD! (the "originator" since 2006).
MMW 4.1.31.1919; 5.0.4.2690 || back it up...frequently!
|| software for power users: "Q-Dir" (free alt. to explorer) and file/folder renamer: "ReNamer" (den4b)
"The absurd is the essential concept and the first truth"
😜
smartmart

Post by smartmart »

Thanks MMFrlife.
I will play around.. But this seems to be a recognisable search criteria that is not in the HELP section of MM.
But, thanks any way.
Martin.
ender84

Post by ender84 »

Sorry to resurrect and old thread, but I have a question very similar.

How would this work if I wanted to get "Wierd Al" Yankovic to sort as Wierd Al Yankovic.
In other words, ignore the quotes.
Similarly [hed] PE sorted as hed PE and ignore the brackets.

So, are characters like ", [, ( supported in the ignore feature?
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
No, those characters are not prefixes, where "The" is
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts