Copying files from mmdb to filesystem

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

RRRoth

Copying files from mmdb to filesystem

Post by RRRoth »

This is going to sound crazy, but here it is. I am a long time registered user of mm. Somehow the unthinkable happened - I lost a huge portion of my music files. I have a +100,000 file music database and I may have lost 20% of that. What I didn't lose is my current mm installation. Years ago, I noticed that the files in mm database were copies of the actual music files they have names like xb91123. So, for the hell of it, tonight I selected some files from within mediamokey and pasted them into an appropriate directory in my file system. You get me so far? Music files there in mnediamonkey but did not exist in filesystem. Lo and and behold - it worked. I could play the pasted files in Windows media player, so I believe I found a way to recover my music. It wont do directory structures and the filename is in the format bandname-album-title, but I can fix that with powershell. Am I missing something or is this really a solution. If it is, is there a script out there to recover my entire music collection from the mm database?

Thanks for reading this and if the devs are out there - thanks for a great music manager.
Peke

Re: Copying files from mmdb to filesystem

Post by Peke »

Hi,
Could you be more specific in your example as what track properties show in MMW and what steps you took to play them in WMP?
Do they play in MMW?
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
Lowlander

Re: Copying files from mmdb to filesystem

Post by Lowlander »

MediaMonkey doesn't keep a copy of your files in the datebase nor in the filesystem. Copies you find, if created by MediaMonkey, would be cached, converted versions used for DLNA playback (I believe sync removes its cached versions).