Missing Codec

Get answers about the current release of MediaMonkey for Android

Moderator: Gurus

RickQuiz

Missing Codec

Post by RickQuiz »

Greetings:

I've recently purchased a Pioneer XDP-300R-BR player, and have successfully synced it with my MM4 library using MMA (about 2700 tracks). I have the most current versions of both the Android and desktop apps. I am finding, however, that MMA will not play certain tracks due to missing codecs. I haven't fully analyzed all of the tracks, but so far this seems to include tracks that are in ALAC and M4A formats. These tracks will play on the device using the Onkyo music app that came installed on the player.

Is there a way to update MMA's codecs?

Thanks
Rick Quisenberry
Lowlander

Re: Missing Codec

Post by Lowlander »

No, MMA relies on what the device supports natively.

You can use MMW to auto-convert on sync to the device those formats that aren't supported by your device.
RickQuiz

Post by RickQuiz »

Well, I'm confused then... Pioneer indicates that the device is compatible with these formats, and the pre-installed Onkyo app seems to play these tracks without any problems. So could there be some other issue involved?
Rick Quisenberry
GEMtn

Post by GEMtn »

I have the Onkyo dp-x1a, which I believe is the Onkyo version of your Panasonic DAP. I have the same issue but I have solved it to some extent. I use auto-convert to convert all my m4a files to FLAC, and the MMA player will then play them on my device. I like the MMA player better than the native Onkyo player because of it's organization and ease of finding my music faster, and also because it recognizes my MM playlists, whereas the native player does not. However, it's drawback is that it will occasionally pause or "blip" when playing music which can be very distracting when trying to concentrate on the music.
RickQuiz

Post by RickQuiz »

Thanks for your reply. I think the DP-X1 is the Onkyo version of the Pioneer XDP-100R. I have the XDP-300R which came out a little later. I wish I bought the Onkyo version as Pioneer doesn't offer much in the way of support. Otherwise, I love the DAP.

It appears that the codec problem effects some tracks that I ripped on my own, as well as tracks that I purchased from iTunes. I'm in the process of trying to upgrade my music collection to either 16 or 24 bit FLAC files where I can find them (Onkyo Music is a great source). MMA won't play anything over 16 bit, so that's a problem. I don't won't to down-convert to 16 bit versions. So I only use MMA to sync from my MM4 library. It works well for that. For playback, I typically use the Pro version of the Onkyo player. It could be improved in some ways, but works pretty well.

The 'blips' you mentioned... I noticed that too. I don't experience them with the Onkyo player, though the playback using bluetooth is interrupted if I get an android notification (email, etc).

Have you had any luck connecting your DAp to other playback devices via USB? I can only use bluetooth in my car.

Thanks again. Take care.
Rick Quisenberry
GEMtn

Post by GEMtn »

I haven't tried connecting to other devices via USB, but have used bluetooth in my car.

After much trial and error I've settled on using the x-dap link music transfer to load music onto the device rather than Media Monkey. X-dap is clunkier but I've spent years curating several playlists, and the native player will not recognize them if I transfer them using Media Monkey. The 'blips' are too distracting so I no longer use the MM player.
RickQuiz

Post by RickQuiz »

Interesting: I've been using the MMA (Android) sync function rather than the MM desktop device sync. I don't believe it does any conversion, but just copies the files over to the DAP and updates the playlists there. Playlists are the only way that I access my music, so it's important to me that the get synced correctly. I've have noticed any issues with this approach except that MMA is not smart enough to know when I've renamed or replaced a track or folder - I end up with duplicates that I don't want (I'm trying to replace my MP3 tracks with FLAC versions - now I have both). So, I'll probably need to do a complete re-sync from scratch.
Rick Quisenberry
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

If you remove the MP3 copy from MMW you'll need to set it to delete all media files not on sync list to have the MP3 copy removed from MMA on sync. Otherwise it will only remove files in the MMW Library not on the sync list.
gdwelker

Post by gdwelker »

"After much trial and error I've settled on using the x-dap link music transfer to load music onto the device rather than Media Monkey. X-dap is clunkier but I've spent years curating several playlists, and the native player will not recognize them if I transfer them using Media Monkey. The 'blips' are too distracting so I no longer use the MM player."

Same problem here with my Pioneer XDP-02u. Only way to get playlists into the device is via X-DAPLink. Wish there was a way to do so successfully from MM.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
Playlist recognition on device is very dependable on what playlist format MMW use to save the playlist on device.

For example FiiO Devices only fully support M3U8 playlist format encoded in UTF-8 with relative path, Sony NW-A series Support PLA and M3U but playlist needs to be Under Music folder or device do not read them and so on ...

If you can access Device and copy example playlist that X-DAPLink saved (check in notepad that playlist contain list of files) and send in PM DL link so that I can tell you what exact settings you need to use. Also path where playlists reside on device is important as stated above.

EDIT: I see that Pioneer XDP-02u Supports MQA, native DSD 5.6 MHz playback, DSD-IFF, FLAC/ALAC/WAV/AIFF up to 192 kHz/32-bit, MP3, and AAC so you need to adjust supported formats and Auto Conversion rules. After you adjust your settings and profile works as you wish you can export it and we can publish on https://www.mediamonkey.com/addons/brow ... -profiles/ so that others can easily import and use.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
gdwelker

Post by gdwelker »

Thanks. Xdaplink uses M3U8 Audio File (.m3u8).
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
If you have working profile or you need more help, please open support ticket and point to this Topic?
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts