Fiio X1

Get answers about syncing MediaMonkey 4 with iPods and other devices.

Moderator: Gurus

sglancy

Fiio X1

Post by sglancy »

I am considering purchasing a Fiio X1, but it is not in the Compatible Devices list. Is anyone successfully using MediaMonkey to sync a Fiio X1? I am especially interested in how it handles playlists and podcasts.

If there are no good reports about syncing Fiio X1, I would love to hear recommendations for a high capacity music player to replace my iPod Classic, which finally died today after many years of faithful service.
Jimbo Mahoney

Re: Fiio X1

Post by Jimbo Mahoney »

Heya!

I'm in the same position - I used to have an iPod Classic and use iTunes.

Now I've made the change to X1 and MM and enjoying it. The sound quality of the X1 is much better than the Classic, which wasn't bad.

Syncing works great, although Playlists need to have some options changed to work properly - the X1 needs relative paths and is limited to 128 characters for the total path as far as I can tell.

I've created a Profile for the X1 and I'm trying to figure out how to upload it for others:

http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 32#p413867

No replies yet.

Here's a link if you want to try it:

http://1drv.ms/1jtXqjP

and here are my playlist settings:

Playlist format = M3U8
Force relative paths enabled
Use unicode enabled
Use extended M3U enabled

To limit path lengths, I've used these options in the File Locations section:

$left(<Album Artist>,30)\<Year> - $left(<Album>,30)\<Track#:2> - $left(<Title>,30)
sglancy

Post by sglancy »

Jimbo,

Thanks! That was a super helpful reply. :D

I eventually found someone to repair my iPod Classic, so at least for now the iPod lives. When it eventually dies, I'll probably get the Fiio X1 and use your profile.
myownself

Post by myownself »

Thanks for the profile, this worked well.
DarrenM

Post by DarrenM »

I am very new to this and am also thinking of coming over from an iPod Classic. Thank you for the profile, but I just want to make sure it will work as I hope. My biggest concern is when it comes to podcasts. If I install the profile and sync the X1, will it automatically delete old podcasts and add new ones when syncing? Also, and I know this is very basic, but do the podcasts appear separate from the music on the player? Thanks very much.
kaunha

Post by kaunha »

A GREAT thanks Jimbo, even two years later. I just got my Fiio yesterday, and was almost ready to forget about importing my ITunes playlist when I found this post. Worked fantastic! I have about 50 playlists, many with lots of songs, so what a life saver.
weddster

Post by weddster »

Hello JimBob

I can't figure out how to add your profile to the device list in MM? Any help appreciated :)
weddster

Post by weddster »

Ignore that - figured it out. Cheers.
Jimbo Mahoney

Post by Jimbo Mahoney »

I've just got a gen 2 and created a profile and image for it (I don't know if you need to download the image too - I think it's stored in the profile).

You can download it here:

https://1drv.ms/u/s!Ahdy4xuUhxGBwyrEx73C1E7IvgcK

and

https://1drv.ms/u/s!Ahdy4xuUhxGBwysbZwrBdyuNtJs2
Jimbo Mahoney

Post by Jimbo Mahoney »

In case it helps others, I've recently discovered an annoying problem with case-sensitivity.

e.g. I have multiple albums by Coheed and Cambria.

The first album artist is "Coheed and Cambria". All the subsequent albums are "Coheed And Cambria" (i.e. uppercase And).

MediaMonkey creates the folder according to the first album, hence only the first album is playable from a playlist because the Fiio seems to be case-sensitive.

It took me ages to figure out why some albums weren't working from playlists.

I made sure that all the albums had exactly the same case and that's fixed the issue. I'll report this to Fiio on their forums too.

http://fiio.net:8000/forum.php?mod=view ... 311&extra=

Hope this helps!
Peke

Post by Peke »

Based on http://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/index.p ... le_Formats you can use $Lower(string) or $Upper(string) to force filename Mask correctly.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
wboylston

Post by wboylston »

I am also trying to set up MM to synch with an X1. I've downloaded Jimbo Mahoney's profile, but don't know how to incorporate it into MM. Can anyone help? Thanks.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

In the Device Profile (Tools > Options > Portable Device Sync) go to the Options tab and there you can Import device options.
dcallende

Post by dcallende »

I recently purchase the X1 based on the info I found here about syncing. I would be happy if I can add playlists and play the music under the playlist.

I have tried using the two mmdc files that were on this topic - FiioX1_2.mmdc and MyFiioX1Profile

Using the generic sync seems to get me the closest. When I use the generic sync the music files are uploaded and the names of the playlist are added. But there seems to be no link between the music files and the play list.

Top level of X1 shows:
MediaMonkey
Music
Playlist

Under Mediamonkey it list "file" and under file is "No Music found"

Under Music are the folders and files of music that I can play, but just by picking and choosing

Under Playlist are the name of the playlist. Under the playlist are the names of the music files but when you go to play it states "Playback failed File not found

I have successfully synced other music players. This week I updated to the latest MM version.

What do I need to do?

Thanks

Dave