Syncing with certain settings stops [#14982]

This forum is for reporting bugs in MediaMonkey for Windows 4. Note that version 4 is no longer actively maintained as it has been replaced by version 5.

Moderator: Gurus

Snofru

Syncing with certain settings stops [#14982]

Post by Snofru »

I am using MMW 4.1.21.1866 (current version). I had big difficulties to sync to my Sony NW-A35 (USB sync, this device has an SD card to which files can be directly copied by Windows). Sync started and ran but after a while simply stopped without any message, sync remaining incomplete. Trying again doesn´t copy any more songs although there are still plenty in the list. Looking more closely I found out that sync always stopped with a certain song. Removing this song lead to the song running a little longer but stopping with another song. After many more tests I also found out that the setting "syncing album covers in folders" plays a big role, too. I then simplified the experiment by just syncing one song to a USB stick - couldn´t be any simpler and still got a failure to sync.

Here is how to replicate the problem:

USB syncing simply stops when these conditions come together:
- Setting "syncing album covers in folders" (sorry, this is translated by me from my german version, could be named a little bit different in the english version) is on.
- A certain song is synced with a special tag (don´t know which tag). If I rip the same song from CD with "fresh" tags then sync doesn´t stop.

I can send you a link to my sync settings and a critical song in a personal message if you like.
MMW Version 5.1.0.2827 Portable
Samsung Galaxy S23+, S9 and Sony NW-A105 with MMA Beta 2.0.0.1156
Snofru

Re: Syncing with certain settings stops

Post by Snofru »

What I really don´t like about this is that if there are issues with certain songs/tags then syncing shouldn´t simply stop there. There should at least be a message that syncing is incomplete or even better continue sync without these critical songs and then display a message.

Is there anything I can do to help with this issue?

I also would like to remark that the critical songs were ripped by MediaMonkey from CD and the tags have never been worked on by any other software than MediaMonkey.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Capture a debug log (step 4b) and attach the log to a Support Ticket: http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... ?f=7&t=341
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
Also it would be valuable if you can send me Download link to one of problematic files on PM so that I can Analyze it?
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
Snofru

Post by Snofru »

Pavle,

you have a PM.
JamesM

Post by JamesM »

Hi, with so many threads relating to syncing I thought I'd pick a more recent one to send a bit of info that may help diagnose another unreliability cause. It is sort of related but so as not to hijack someone else's thread....here's something to check...

Windoze will have filesystem issues when filenames (with paths) become ridiculously long.
The total path length (Artist + Album name etc..) including filename may be limited to 255 Characters.
Are you getting stuck on tracks that produce super long folder & file names?

I do also find syncing with USB a pain, but more than that hard disks connected through RAID controllers (so they show as removable in windows) also cause grief. Here's where the potential hijack occurs but I can't provide additional info without explaining my issue (sorry :/)

So I've been trying to sync some devices over wifi this weekend. I'm also on 4.1.21.1873 (current version). Syncing has been very hit and miss. Mostly miss...until....The HDD on the raid controller was removed (the HDD is in good working order)

Because I've always had problems syncing to USB sticks I sync to this disk (to take the possibility USB issues out of the equation), but even so I often have problems syncing here and frequently see messages asking me if I want to wait (frozen process...)

When trying to sync my Android devices I'd have the occasional success on one device, realised I'd forgotten to volume level and then got a steady succession of unable to find the server messages. Tried reboot's different wifi connections. rebooting wifi, rebooting windows, rebooting devices... all the usual suspects. No joy
I was having grief with the HDD as I was trying to update that store. Even doing the usual trick of deleting the folder so it starts from scratch (which I will have worked on earlier versions) was not allowing it to complete. "do you want to wait" messages kept returning. So I popped the disk out of its caddy.

Here's the interesting thing (hopefully this is also useful feedback for some of the other WiFi syncing issue threads??). I've been able to flawlessly sync my android devices *multiple times* since. i.e. I've gone from tragically difficult to silky smooth by removing all removable disks from my win 10 PC....So whatever issues are going on with file based syncing may be the cause of many other Wifi syncing issues.

Note : these (Wifi syncing) issues occur after a reboot where you have not initiated a disk sync so it may simply be related to the presence of removable disks. The DNLA server availability also seems to be affected. This is a total guess..could the two be related? (does WiFi syncing need the DNLA server operational?)
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

Hi, thanks for sharing.
Are you getting stuck on tracks that produce super long folder & file names?
In MM4 we are ignoring them (as some plugins are not prepared to handle long filenames), but in MM5 we are handling them.

Note that your issues with removable discs sounds like related to https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=14931 that has been fixed in 1874 so I would recommend you to update to 1875 (current version). It also addresses a FLAC tagging regression introduced in build 1873.

Note : these (Wifi syncing) issues occur after a reboot where you have not initiated a disk sync so it may simply be related to the presence of removable disks. The DNLA server availability also seems to be affected. This is a total guess..could the two be related? (does WiFi syncing need the DNLA server operational?)
Yes, DLNA server need to be operational for the Wi-Fi sync to work, nevertheless once the Android device is unplugged from USB port then it shouldn't be affected.
Are the removable disc being scanned by MM at the same time? You can disable them in Options > Portable Device sync and actually they are auto-disabled. Although there is still a probability that another app is doing something with the removable disc that is affecting the network connections somehow.
JamesM

Post by JamesM »

OK, so "frozen process" is just a non blocking timer that kicks off a message saying the process seems frozen and I should not worry about that particular thing....although the sync process can and has completed without this message. When it does show it can be left for yonks and it still doesn't get to "transferring files". Reboots sometimes fix it, sometimes it doesn't.

That is to say, maybe my setup is behaving abnormally sometimes which leads on to my observations. Certainly I've used the wifi syncing a ton since I removed the disk because it's now, suddenly, very reliable. The change in behaviour is too drastic to be a total co-incidence. (FYI not a complaint, I paid for a license to show support for devs I respect and appreciate. MMW is awesome)

For info.
1) I've always disabled auto scanning as soon as I plug anything in. This included the hard drive we are discussing.
2) I have a special "power only" USB cable for when I connect my phone to the PC, they won't affect media monkey in that way.
3) The "removable disk" is long term storage only. The only app that might use it is
* Explorer when I move or copy files in
* Norton, when scanning
* Media Monkey when updating the synchronised files
* kodi, if opened...but because it wants to take over audio (lock exclusively) it's never open at the same time as any app that produces audio
4) Bear in mind this PC is a tricked out beastie (intel extreme, 32GB RAM on a 4 channel controller, music kept on its own SSD)
While the "removable drive" is not an SSD, it's a 7200RPM HDD (approx 240MB/s sequential throughput) attached via a SATA cable to a raid controller, it probably shouldn't take 136 seconds to scan (I think it's about 5600 files / 40GB). The only reason this disk shows in media monkey is because the RAID controller allows hot swapping...which means the disk is listed as removable.

I hope the additional info helps rule out the possibility that my "frozen message" is coming up because its taking a while to scan a thumbdrive. It's something else, as the Wifi syncing behaviour seems to indicate.
If I can grab any log files and such next time I plug the disk back in let me know what you need and where to find em.

cheers

James
JamesM

Post by JamesM »

just downloaded and installed the latest build plus debug version and reconnected my hard disk to the raid controller. I've initiated a sync to this disk

In Debug viewer. I stopped debug viewer after I had not seen any track names listed (that were being synchronised) for a very long time

I observed that sometimes the processing sometimes paused for a significant period. One folder was scanned (all mp3's) at time 231. the first file was then compared at 239, the next at 247. Then 255. @255 there's two more folder scans with several files compared in quick succession.

After 264
[11132] Sync Status: Getting for Music\Flight of the Conchords - Flight of the Conchords\13 Flight of the Concho - Business Time.mp3
...nothing

All trace entries looked normal for an extended period after the last file was scanned
* playback pointer crossed buffer.
* MMDS : written #####
* Win7 tools - thumbnail - add rating stars
* update drive letters (this runs every 30 secs)

at 316 I see (track that's playing finishes)
[11132] in_mfaudio: get_576_samples: End of input file
[11132] PostponeComputerSleep: Enabled = 1
blah blah blah
[11132] Winamp sim - End of track message.
[11132] Going to stop playback in dll: C:\Program Files (x86)\MediaMonkey\Plugins\in_mfaudio.dll

until the "frozen dialog" shows there's nothing whatsoever out of place?

I'm wondering if timeouts on file access could have an affect....

...OH! A curious thing just happened....so I went to restart media monkey (to run the process again see if it stopped on the same file). I clicked close. and the "there are background processes running. Terminate them?" message showed. I re-enabled Debug view in case this showed any errors when terminating the synchronisation thread (I stopped it @1175 when I OK,d the "frozen" dialog....because nothing had happened for ages). I have not clicked on the terminate button yet...because (as per DebugView) the synchronise process is running again??
Begs the question. Assuming this runs it's own thread. Are there any events that might sleep/pause this thread?

I will run the process again when I have time on my hands and leave Debug view running permanently if I get to a frozen message and I ok it.
FYI. there's nothing in the standard windows logs that might indicate a problem

[Update] sync process just finished
[11132] 7300 DB exec SQL: UPDATE Devices SET LastAutoSynch=43301.533964259 WHERE ID=34

I pressed "no" to "terminate background processes?" (wasn't sure if that would leave media monkey open, it didn't). I dialog box appeared saying "James - Born of Frustration" could not be found. I have three copies of this, one of which would be in the sync list. Could this be related? It's a message I see every time i edit metadata as my app is set to relocate files based on "D:\• Music\$if(<Album Artist>,<Album Artist>,__Set Tags)\$if(<Album>,<Album>,__Misc)\$if(<Disc#>,D<Disc#>,D1)-$if($len(<Track#>)=1,<Track#:2>,<Track#>) - <Artist> - <Title>"
It seems it does not always update the database if it moves a file...so add/rescan results in seemingly "missing files".
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

Hi, do you have the full debug log to analyze?

By the freeze message you mean the "The media transfer process on %s appears to be frozen... ", right?
If yes, then I could see on which file it has frozen and yes there is a thread scanning the device/disc in d_WMDM.dll plugin, from the full log I could see which action has taken so long ( > 120 seconds).
JamesM

Post by JamesM »

Just a heads up.
I've started another session against the hard disk. Currently in nowheresville. will edit this post in an hour or so onece I see if it resumes

@260 ish (again) the transfer (Preparing list) has stopped doing anything. Again it's a Flight of the concordes song, but not the same one (or the same directory)
@613 . The frozen message has appeared and I OK'd it
@800 ish. Still nothing so I tried closing the app but not progressing beyond the close background processes? message (MMW still open but pending a closedown)
@1958 the Flight of the concordes song is mentioned once
[6248] Sync Status: Getting for Music\Flight of the Conchords - I Told You I Was Freaky\10 Flight of the Concho - You Don't Have to Be a Prostitute.mp3
sync process seems to have gone to sleep again.
@2166 I checked (via windows explorer) that the disk is still active (drilled down a few folders till I found one with contents and opened the file....no problems...synch process still doing nothing)
@2826. (around the time I was adding dxdiag info to this post. Sync process started again.
@2949. paused collection of data to find time of sync resume
@3166. resumed Debug view..still syncing
@3206. sync process seems to have gone back to sleep (hard disk still working, I played a video file, no delays experienced)
@3387. Prince song referenced. Previus mention was 3282
@3489. sync process entered "burst mode"
@4000. sync process starts updating files
@4476. sync process completes

...so operation seems, at best, a bit random when
* CPU usage is 13% (windows driver foundation is pulling 8%, don't know if that's linked to Diagview??)
* memory 18%. Handbrake (which is paused is using the most, MMW 129MB)

since you are going to want this at some point...
------------------
System Information
------------------
Time of this report: 7/20/2018, 17:43:59
Operating System: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 17134) (17134.rs4_release.180410-1804)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
System Model: To be filled by O.E.M.
BIOS: BIOS Date: 03/19/14 13:26:07 Ver: 04.06.05 (type: BIOS)
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4930K CPU @ 3.40GHz (12 CPUs), ~3.7GHz
Memory: 32768MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 32682MB RAM
Page File: 6883MB used, 25799MB available
Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS
DirectX Version: DirectX 12
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
User DPI Setting: 120 DPI (125 percent)
System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
Miracast: Available, with HDCP
Microsoft Graphics Hybrid: Not Supported
DxDiag Version: 10.00.17134.0001 64bit Unicode

---------------
Display Devices
---------------
Card name: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti
Monitor Name: AOC Q3477
Monitor Model: U3477
Monitor Id: AOC3477
Native Mode: 3440 x 1440(p) (29.968Hz)

-------------
Sound Devices
-------------
Description: U3477 (2- High Definition Audio Device)
Default Sound Playback: Yes
Default Voice Playback: Yes
Hardware ID: HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_10DE&DEV_0060&SUBSYS_38423753&REV_1001
Manufacturer ID: 1
Product ID: 65535
Type: WDM
Driver Name: HdAudio.sys
Driver Version: 10.00.17134.0001 (English)
Driver Attributes: Final Retail
WHQL Logo'd: Yes
Date and Size: 06/07/2018 00:00:00, 436736 bytes
Other Files:
Driver Provider: Microsoft
HW Accel Level: Basic
Cap Flags: 0xF1F
Min/Max Sample Rate: 100, 200000
Static/Strm HW Mix Bufs: 1, 0
Static/Strm HW 3D Bufs: 0, 0
HW Memory: 0
Voice Management: No
EAX(tm) 2.0 Listen/Src: No, No
I3DL2(tm) Listen/Src: No, No
Sensaura(tm) ZoomFX(tm): No

------------------------
Disk & DVD/CD-ROM Drives
------------------------
Drive: C:
Free Space: 63.6 GB
Total Space: 243.6 GB
File System: NTFS
Model: SanDisk Ultra II 480GB

...if you need any more info. let me know

Drive: D: **** this is the source drive "D:\• Music" ****
Free Space: 50.6 GB
Total Space: 457.9 GB
Model: SanDisk SDSSDHII480G

Drive: E: **** this is the disk I'm syncing to ****
Free Space: 158.8 GB
Total Space: 7630.8 GB
Model: TOSHIBA HDWN180 SCSI Disk Device

Drive: G:
Free Space: 124.1 GB
Total Space: 213.7 GB
Model: SanDisk Ultra II 480GB

Drive: R:
Free Space: 57.7 GB
Total Space: 244.2 GB
Model: Samsung SSD 840 PRO Series

Drive: V:
Free Space: 37.2 GB
Total Space: 457.9 GB
Model: SanDisk SDSSDHII480G
Last edited by JamesM on Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JamesM

Post by JamesM »

yes I will have a full log to view. I guess the next step is to raise a ticket? and attach it? Although I don't think it will be much help

Highlights are above....there really seems to be nothing of note between trundle and burst modes. I'm not playing any tracks this time so it's clearer that nothing in particular is being logged to explain the slow downs

but it is now clear why I thought it was crashing
@4000 it's just started transferring files. Time to get to the point of transferring will be governed by all these random and sometimes lengthy pauses...and if this is holding up other sync processes...

.....previous post updated to show sync "update files" and "sync completed". Log files will be sent as soon as I get a chance (first guests have arrived soooo...gota go)
JamesM

Post by JamesM »

Log file uploaded on ticket #NUM-655-86530. Hopefully this will be helpful
in case it's relevant :

Summary page
* scan as soon as device connecetd - unchecked
* Autosync as soon as connected - unchecked
* Auto unmount - unchecked
* grant remote access unchecked

Auto-sync (-->Device) page
I only have (Auto) playlists selected
Primary playlist selected selects tracks with a star rating of 3.5 and above
remaining playlists only include tracks from this primary playlist and then filers on genre

Auto-sync (-->Library) page
* Autosync files & playlists - unchecked
* Autosync metadata - unchecked

Options page - autoconversion
level volume - SELECTED
target volume 89dB
supported formats

Audio : MP3
Options page - tagging
* sync artwork to folders - unchecked
* copy artwork to tags - SELECTED
* remove artwork > 300KB - unchecked
* use only first genre - unchecked
* use only first value for multiple artists - SELECTED

Options page - playlusts
* syncplaylist - SELECTED
* generate playlists for #### - all unchecked
* format m3U
* force relative - SELECTED
* use linuz - SELECTED
* use unicode - SELECTED
* use extended - unchecked
* organise playlists - unchecked

side note "media transfer process has frozen" message just showed up (690) ...i hadn't asked anything to sync and per the above checkboxes it should not be happening automatically. I was trying to cause an audio loop earlier and locked the screen to see if that could cause it...and record it in a log. There was a message saying that e: (the "removable" disk) had just been detected. So I guess the checkbox settings are not being honoured??
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

FYI: Discussion is continued via NUM-655-86530 with JamesM + related issue entered as https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=14982