Help Needed> Metadata from file name export question

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

nerkalis

Help Needed> Metadata from file name export question

Post by nerkalis »

Hello MM,
I imported my music collection and made a real mess here. My albums show as track number + album name. So every album is listed as many timed as it has track. How do I collapse them into just one album when viewing Entire Library>Albums?

My files are all stored with common naming convention; drive letter\Music\Artist\Album\Track number Track title.Format
Example
M:\Music\3 Doors Down\Away From the Sun\01 When I'm Gone.flac
Included in the album file is the artwork files as well.

How can I use MMW to export this data into Metadata and just make it look like one album showing just cover art in Entire Library>Albums view?

Windows 10 64bit
MMW 4.1.27.1875 Pro
Discus connected

I do see the Tools>Auto Arrange Files and think this is my answer, but asking the forum before I make worse.
Looks like if I tag with M:\TEST\<Album Artist>\<Album>\<Artist> - <Track#> - <Title> I will get correct output I am asking for? I tested some files and like the way they display in windows explorer, but MMW still seeing as wrong albums? What am I missing here? Thanks.
nerkalis

Re: Help Needed> Metadata from file name export question

Post by nerkalis »

Music>Location>SELECT DRIVE>Test right click on Test folder in left pane and select Add/Rescan files to library (Insert hotkey). That's what I was missing looks like. Did that and album came in correctly and metadata was updated with the auto organize data that corrected the issue with track number listed first.

Hope this helps someone else. Was a B#tch when I didn't know.

NOTE>>> Backup your collection with MM closed before doing auto organize. If your collection is large, will take time to complete and will consume resources and potential issues during process post. I backed up collection in raw state before MM as well since I am paranoid and love my music.
Last edited by nerkalis on Sat Jul 21, 2018 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Use Tools > Auto-Tag from Filename. The Mask for drive letter\Music\Artist\Album\Track number Track title.Format would be <Artist>\<Album>\<Track#> <Title> and it will show you the changes before applying (so verify them!).

See:
https://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/index. ... lename/4.0
https://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/index. ... ormats/4.0
nerkalis

Post by nerkalis »

Lowlander> You think Auto tag is better than Tools>Auto Arrange Files? I was able to correct issue with this tool as well, and seems as now the storage file naming convention is more intuitive too. Any lost files will be easier to pickup in future and added bonus being that players lacking tag reading options will display file name and that is now able to support the basic Artist Track Title in display. Thoughts?
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

You indicated a metadata problem, that is fixed with Auto-Tag from Filename (metadata > folder/filename). Auto-Organize Files is used to change the folder/filenames (folder/filename > metadata).
nerkalis

Post by nerkalis »

I do agree. I found the other option and that seems to have resolved as well. Thank you again for solution.
nerkalis

Post by nerkalis »

I also verified your suggested solution works perfect as well! <Artist>\<Album>\<Track#> <Title> in auto tag from filename also did accomplish. thank you again. Now have two ways to do. :)