files won't play from USB drives

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

Mark Davis

files won't play from USB drives

Post by Mark Davis »

I am brand new to MM. I bought Media Monkey Gold - Lifetime License. I can play files that are on my laptop, but if I plug in a USB device (and I have tried 2 of them, a stick and an external hard drive), I can't play a file, although they appear on the left. It will say Now Playing, but nothing happens. ? Thanks for any/all help !!!

Also, if I click on a file in a list of files, all the files below go gray.
Lowlander

Re: files won't play from USB drives

Post by Lowlander »

Which version of MediaMonkey?

So if you double click on a file on the USB drive to play it fails to play? Are you selecting the USB drive from the My Computer node in MediaMonkey (and do the drives have a drive letter)? What happens if you open a file on the USB drive from Explorer?
Mark Davis

Post by Mark Davis »

My version is 4.1.21.1875

When I double click on a file from a USB device it does not play, but shows up in "Now Playing." This happens whether I select from the drive using My Computer node in MediaMonkey or from File Explorer. The drive letter is E:\

Thanks.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

What file type(s). Do the files play if copied to the local drive? Can other media players play files from the drive?
Mark Davis

Post by Mark Davis »

Lowlander, thanks for your help thus far. Sorry for my slow response; we had a fun, but busy weekend with family.
I have mostly .flac files on my external hard drive, but some .mp3 too. The files will play in MediaMonkey if they are in the >Music folder at the top of the left-hand navigation system. They will not play if I choose them from the (lower on left) >My computer>Diane>Music. Diane is my wife and I'm using her laptop PC. They will not play from my ext hard drive when I plug it in and Select a song. It shows in Selected (lower right of screen) but doesn't play.

If I copy a song from either My computer or my ext hard drive, up to the >Music list - then they play.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

That makes little sense. Being in the Library is not a requirement for playing files.

Can you play a file from the external drive if you use Explorer to open it with MediaMonkey? How about another Player?
Mark Davis

Post by Mark Davis »

If I use File Explorer and select my ext hard drive, Rt click on a FLAC song and open with Groove Music, the song plays. Same for if I open with Windows Media Player. But, if I open with MediaMonkey, in MediaMonkey it shows the file as "Now Playing" but doesn't play. The Play/Pause button does nothing. The Play Now (at the top) is light gray.

If I "Cast to Device" with the same song, to my Yahama A/V receiver, it plays. But, if I "Cast to Device" to MediaMonkey Player, I get a screen with

MediaMonkey Player
Ventis Media, inc
MediaMonkey Renderer
and a box below with the song title to the right, but below that it shows a red circle with white X and says "Unexpected device error
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Capture the attempt to play with MediaMonkey in a debug log (step 4b) and attach the log to a Support Ticket: https://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewt ... p?f=1&t=69