Issues with Collections/Tree Nodes/Views

Help improve MediaMonkey 5 by testing the latest pre-release builds, and reporting bugs and feature requests.

Moderator: Gurus

Davo

Re: Issues with Collections/Tree Nodes/Views

Post by Davo »

Hi Barry
I have a number of collections all defined by path. This mirrors my windows directory & folder structure.
The collections are:
Classical
Jazz
Rock/country
World
Blues

The problem is in the media Tree. The browser & views are OK.

If you're following my steps the first step should actually be 'open MM5'
David

Post by Ludek »

I could replicate before the fix, but I can no longer replicate.

To understand, in steps 2&6:
select sub node 'Album' -- do you mean expanding the Collection > Album node ? Or what do you mean by select? Just selecting shows the albums in the grid, but not in the tree, you previsously already clarified that you expanded the node, that way I could replicate the issue before the fix.

In the sep 4:
Select Collection (Classical) to contract the tree -- just selecting the node does not contract the tree, you probably mean collapsing the node??
Davo

Post by Davo »

Hi Ludek
Please excuse my poor terminology. I can see that 'select' is not a very useful term here.
I do mean expand or collapse the subnode I used the artist subnode this time.
David

Post by Barry4679 »

Davo wrote: Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:58 pm I have a number of collections all defined by path. This mirrors my windows directory & folder structure.
Hi David,

I created two collections just like yours ... ie. only based upon Path/FileName contains ...

I still can't recreate your problem.

Davo wrote: Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:58 pm The problem is in the media Tree. The browser & views are OK.
It hard to understand what you mean by "in the media tree"

MM4 used to allow you to open a subnode, such as Album, and it would list all the albums in the Media Tree.

MM5 doesn't offer this ... ie. you cannot expand sub-nodes like Album in the media tree in MM5 ... so it is hard to understand what you mean by the fault being in the Media Tree.

A screen shot may help, and maybe a screen shot of your collection criteria definition, eg like this https://www.dropbox.com/s/hg1yzjjly90jg ... a.png?dl=0
Want a dark skin for MM5? This is the one that works best for me .. elegant, compact & clear.
Davo

Post by Davo »

Barry
MM5 provides a media tree via 'show all modes' script available in the 'sample scripts folder
David

Post by Barry4679 »

Oh, I should have read the whole thread. :oops:
Maybe now that Ludek is reminded that you use this script, he will better understand what you are saying.
Want a dark skin for MM5? This is the one that works best for me .. elegant, compact & clear.
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

Sure, I was using the script. That was the way I replicated the issue before the fix.
Now, after the fix I can't replicate anymore.
Taking a video would help here.

Davo: Could you try to install the latest build to another folder? Maybe a script file with the fix didn't get replaced for some reason?
Davo

Post by Davo »

Ludek
Problem solved - I Installed 2117 then (re)installed 'Show allNodes' mmip. So it possibly got uninstalled in a previous release or perhaps i need to install the script for each new release?
Thank you for your patience

David
David

Post by Davo »

Genres
I have written before on this topic (May 2018) but no great response so i am having another shot at it.
......I cannot see why you have to impose your own set of genres. I only wan't to see the genres i actually use & i dont want them arbitrarily attached to your idea of what a Genre is. Genre is really a marketing definition & not a universally agreed standard.
The extension 'show all nodes' does not solve this problem.
I go to considerable trouble to tag my files so i do not appreciate it when the application arbitrarily decides to place my data in a category of it's own choosing. For example i have a genre - Western Swing. I regard it as country music with jazz influences so the files reside in my Rock/Country collection. MM5 however places it in the Sub-category - Jazz. There are numerous other examples like this.

If you must have your own genre categories then i would like the option to hide them & also not have my genres associated with them. It adds an unnecessary level in the media tree & creates confused classifications.
David

Post by Ludek »

Hi, this has been already fixed by changing the default https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=15007

So just switch from 'Genre Categories' to 'Genres' (that is the default now): https://www.dropbox.com/s/sbdafpkxw9p3m ... 2.png?dl=0
Davo

Post by Davo »

Hi
Doesn't seem fixed in the media tree. I switched to Genres as you suggested but the sub categories in the tree are still there.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/78gr55ts0hrqp ... e.JPG?dl=0

The extra levels in the tree ie, All Genres; Electronic; Classical are redundant from my point of view. In fact your category 'Electronic' is empty & Classical is missing one genre 'Classical Avant-Garde which is present in the 'All Genres' you can see how confused this has become.

I would like the Genre node to function the same as the other nodes eg Artist, Album none of which have sub categories, you simply expand the node to see the list of items relevant to the Collection
David

Post by Davo »

Media tree
If you are going to have a media tree then let the user define the sub nodes. This is one of the strengths of Foobar & probably why it is still my main music manager because it lets me view my data in the way i want to see it. Unfortunately at the moment MM has a tree but few branches & in the case of some of the nodes like Composer & Conductor none.

MM is probably the closest to my idea of a good media manager but IMO still falls short in giving the user control over their own data.
David

Post by Davo »

Continuing this discussion (with myself it appears :( )( - I had the idea that if i could define a custom view for each node then i could achieve what i was after using a combination of the Tree Node & the Album & Tracks views, so for example for the Composer Node the view (columns) could be :-
Artist - Conductor - Album - Track# - Title
Whilst in the Conductor Node it could be : -
Artist - Composer - Album - Track# - Title

I tried this but it appears i cannot have a different view for each node.
I would appreciate others thoughts on this
David

Post by BMF »

Hi Davo,

the part "Continuing this discussion (with myself it appears :( )( " made me laugh. I hope it's self irony which i like. For the rest ... you deliver a lot of of very fine approaches to optimize the MM. The reason why noone else contribute to the thread may be its length. It is very difficult and time consuming to follow all the ideas. As a non native speaker i can tell. You may consider to split it to separate topics :).

Your idea of letting the user customize the content of the nodes individually by the user itself is a good idea. I support it.

I remember my first steps with the MM (it was MM 3 when i remember right) and i can assure that i did not understand the meaning (and the power) of the media tree. Users coming from software like Microsoft Groove or Apple's ITunes might be confused even seeing the media tree with its different approaches to the music. When i propose the MM to friends, the difficult part is the explanation of the usefullness of the media tree. Once understood and accepted the journey begins ... :-D.

The developers may find a way to remain with a simple structure for the casual user while there is the support of customization for advanced users.

Greetings form Berlin

bmf
nothing but a bmf ....
--------------------------
Windows 10 Professional (64 Bit); MM 5 (lifetime licence);
iPod Classic, Sonos
Davo

Post by Davo »

Hi bmf
Thank you for the feedback, i will take your ideas on board. You are right of course about the language issue. I do speak a little French & Italian but if was to convey my ideas in German i am sure you would be amused (& puzzled) :)
btw i visited your wonderful city last year
David