Column Browser behaviour [#15071]

Help improve MediaMonkey 5 by testing the latest pre-release builds, and reporting bugs and feature requests.

Moderator: Gurus

Davo

Column Browser behaviour [#15071]

Post by Davo »

A number of issues
1. Context Menu - Add Column.
I dont get a choice where it's placed or what Field, it just inserts a column with a random field ?

2. If i select a new field it replaces an existing field (i presume because i had the cursor on it) again no choice about placement

3. I cannot change the column width. If the text extends beyond the column width there is no tooltip,

4. I can't easily change the order of the columns ie just drag with cursor
David

Re: Column Browser behaviour

Post by Barry4679 »

Hi Davo,

where are you accessing the Context Menu from?

That top line saying "Choose Columns", in the Context Menu, isn't a heading. If you click it you get a dbox allowing the column sorting and placement control that you are looking for.

I don'r see the field "replacing" behaviour you describe. ... If you are adding outside of the "Choose Columns" facility, it adds columns in some fixed sequence. Maybe you have the window partially off-screen so that the horizontal scroll bar is not visible? And maybe the old columns are being pushed off screen to the right?

And I do see tool tips where a column width is too small for a cell.

I am looking at EntireLibrary|AllTracks ... Skin is Material Design Dark ... try that .. maybe it is a skin issue.

Column Widths: I can alter them ... mostly
(btw you got "Automatic Column Widths" turned off in the context menu?)
I do see some width changing strangeness if there is a text column followed by a numeric column ... eg. Album column and then Length column. ... column width adjustment seems partially broken in this case ... this is what you are seeing?
Want a dark skin for MM5? This is the one that works best for me .. elegant, compact & clear.
Davo

Post by Davo »

I am referring to the Sub View -> Column Browser not the Browser View
David

Post by Barry4679 »

Davo wrote: Sat Sep 01, 2018 8:42 am I am referring to the Sub View -> Column Browser not the Browser View
OK ... I'll bite .... a "sub view" is a thing? ... what is it? How do I get there?
Want a dark skin for MM5? This is the one that works best for me .. elegant, compact & clear.
Davo

Post by Davo »

David

Post by MiPi »

Current behavior is taken from MediaMonkey 4. I.e. "Add column" adds next column with some next default field. And when right-clicked header of column browser column, user can select content of this column. So in fact user first selects how many fields he will need and then adjusts which.
But you're right, that handling should be improved, tracked as: https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=15071
Barry4679

Post by Barry4679 »

Thanks for clarification Davo ... in that case all of my original comments apply ... I see the same behaviour there also

MiPi wrote: Sun Sep 02, 2018 3:45 am But you're right, that handling should be improved, tracked as: https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=15071
It doesn't matter I suppose, but I can't replicate any of the problems that you have added to Mantis.

1. I can change sequence of columns via drag and drop of headings
2. I can set individual column width (via dragging) ... it works fine where two text columns are adjacent ... it needs works when a text column is followed by a numeric column
3. I see tools tips whenever column width is insufficient for cell data ... I see no tool tip when width is sufficient, but I see this as a feature, not as a problem
MiPi

Post by MiPi »

Barry4679: the issues are related to Column browser component, i.e. columns used for quick filtering placed above tracklist (see Davo's screenhot, it is the upper part with Genre, Artist, Conductor and Album titles), not to standard tracklists.
BMF

Post by BMF »

By the way ....

The column browser opening above the header (header!) looks quite odd ;-).
nothing but a bmf ....
--------------------------
Windows 10 Professional (64 Bit); MM 5 (lifetime licence);
iPod Classic, Sonos
MiPi

Post by MiPi »

BMF wrote: Sun Sep 02, 2018 7:27 am By the way ....
Not sure what you mean? Place is the same as in MM4.
Barry4679

Post by Barry4679 »

MiPi wrote: Sun Sep 02, 2018 6:11 am Barry4679: the issues are related to Column browser component, i.e. columns used for quick filtering placed above tracklist (see Davo's screenhot, it is the upper part with Genre, Artist, Conductor and Album titles), not to standard tracklists.
duh ... appologies to you & Davo re confusion.
Barry4679 wrote: Sat Sep 01, 2018 5:21 am I do see some width changing strangeness if there is a text column followed by a numeric column ... eg. Album column and then Length column. ... column width adjustment seems partially broken in this case ... this is what you are seeing?
There is some weirdness re resizing column widths in the main grid (ie. the bottom part of Davo's image). Upon re-examination, the statement above doesn't describe it correctly.

If columns are aaaa|bbbb|cccc
you can expand aaaa by dragging the aaaa|bbbb boundary to the right. ... It works by making bbbb smaller, contracting it towards cccc ... This is OK until it reaches the bbbb|cccc boundary, but cccc is fixed in position, and won't move. So aaaa can only grow to the combined width of aaaa+bbbb, and can grow only at the expense of of bbbb.

In MM4, if you dragged aaaa larger, it slide bbbb & cccc, & everything following, to the right. So the width of aaaa was not constrained, and it did not affect the width of its neighbour.
MiPi

Post by MiPi »

Barry4679: MM4 does not have "Automatic column width" at all ;-) What you describe is behavior with this setting off (it is in context menu of tracklist header). Setting this on causes that all columns are forced to fit in the view (i.e. horizontal scrollbar is not needed). Then it cannot behave same way, because it cannot expand size of the whole list view to the right.
Barry4679

Post by Barry4679 »

Got it. Thanks for your patience.
BMF

Post by BMF »

MiPi wrote: Sun Sep 02, 2018 7:43 am
BMF wrote: Sun Sep 02, 2018 7:27 am By the way ....
Not sure what you mean? Place is the same as in MM4.
There is no header in MM4. It is new to MM5. A header should be on top. Like the name says. Simply looking better :)
nothing but a bmf ....
--------------------------
Windows 10 Professional (64 Bit); MM 5 (lifetime licence);
iPod Classic, Sonos
MiPi

Post by MiPi »

BMF: Ahh, I've got it, I was looking at "All tracks" and there is no such header, only column headers :) Yes, this probably should be changed, it logically belongs to tracklist, not header. Added as point 4) to the issue. But it will be problematic for scrolling, header scrolls out for long lists, but column browser should stay always visible, that is why it is on top now.