Issues syncing Galaxy S9 Plus SD card

Get answers about the current release of MediaMonkey for Android

Moderator: Gurus

lifeinbeats

Issues syncing Galaxy S9 Plus SD card

Post by lifeinbeats »

Hi there,

I just switched from the iphone to a galaxy and am so so excited to finally have all of my songs on my phone. I bought a 200 gb SD card and sync'd about 160 gb of music last night (took a while). I went to bed when it was syncing and when I woke up there weren't any errors in MM and the transfer looked to be complete.

Went into my phone and neither the mediamonkey app nor the samsung music app could find music files. When you go into settings and look at the device storage, 0 audio files come up listed, although 160 gb of the card are shown to be full.

I navigated the SD card and found the files located in Android/Data/com.ventus.android.mediamonkey/files/music

Is there an issue with where these files are being saved? Is that why my phone can't find them? And if so, can I just move those folders to the default music folder? What about artwork and playlists?

Thanks in advance!
lifeinbeats

Re: Issues syncing Galaxy S9 Plus SD card

Post by lifeinbeats »

Ok looks like I'm getting .nomedia files in my folders which I have read will cause your phone to skip over entire folders. I removed the ones I could find but my phone still isn't seeing music files. I don't really get it. Do I need to move the files somewhere for them to show up? Any help would really be appreciated. I had some serious problems with corrupt data and freezing sync's with my iphone and was so excited to get an android based phone and now I'm still having problems.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Have you tried to force scanning? Can you locate and play files using Folders in MMA? .nomedia is related to Artwork being excluded from the Gallery, but should only be in the folder storing the Artworks on your device

Which version of MMA and MMW are you using?
lifeinbeats

Post by lifeinbeats »

OK I figured out the issue. For some reason my SD card created a separate folder when I first formatted it and my phone was trying to read from there.

I've sync'd some files but now I have a new issue: none of my ratings are coming up in MMA. Not sure what the issue is. I tried to find an option in MMW but couldn't see anything.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

How did you sync and which version of MMW and MMA. There is no option, Ratings should sync from MMW to MMA (there is an option for the other way).
Darryl_Gittins

Post by Darryl_Gittins »

When I did sync from MMW to MMA, ratings did not get transferred. Neither did playlists.

MMA: V1.3.2.0824
MMW: 4.1.19.1859
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

lifeinbeats

Post by lifeinbeats »

It was actually an issue with MMA. I read a couple of other posts that said that there's a known bug causing the current version of MMA not to sync ratings. Got the beta version and I'm good to go now!
lifeinbeats

Samsung Galaxy S9 Plus not able to see music after large sync

Post by lifeinbeats »

Android 8.0.0
MMW 4.1.21.1875

Everytime I try to sync my whole library (180gb) to my phone's SD card, it finishes the sync and then my phone is unable to see any audio files on the card. When I go to "auto-sync" on MMW, it also thinks I have 0 music and says that I don't have enough space for everything.

I sync'd a couple of smaller playlists yesterday and it worked. I'm looking for a solution to sync and automatically manage my music, though. Files still stored in Android/Data/com.ventis.android.mediamonkey

Getting a little frustrated with this. Especially since I just switched to android after years and years of dealing with failed sync's with my various iphones. Thought that finally I had a solution to all of my sync woes and even purchased MMW gold lifetime.
lifeinbeats

Post by lifeinbeats »

The issue that I think is causing my phone not to recognize the thousands of thousands of songs that I have uploaded about 20 times now is because it can't find a single song. One error for an inaccessible file and the entire folder structure is not moved from the data folder to the music folder, which android hides by default.

MMA also holds on to (and grays out) my music that I previously uploaded, even when I reformat my SD card. There are no settings that I can find to fix this. I've rescanned the card and they are still there.

Also half the time when I am successful uploading a few small playlists the actual playlist does not show up with it, just the songs.
Last edited by lifeinbeats on Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

The current betas of MMA and MMW fix some sync issues.

Are the files actually on the card (ie. scanning fails) or are they not on the card (sync failed), check the latter with a file explorer? Can MMA access the files using Folder if the files are on the card?

You can always supply debug logs: https://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewt ... ?f=26&t=69 and https://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewt ... 21&t=72208
lifeinbeats

Post by lifeinbeats »

The files are on the card but they're not in a location where the phone can find them. The phone says I have 160gb used, but shows 0 songs on the device. When I have tried to move a few files at a time and have a successful sync, MMW moves the files from the Android folder to the root folder in "Music." I'm assuming that MMA could actually find the music even though it's not located in the root folder, but there's something stopping it from seeing that there's music in that folder. Possibly some combination of .nomedia files. Still investigating.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

The location does seem odd with the device you have. I believe this was something that happened on older Android versions and external cards (Google limited card access). However I don't believe that applies with the more recent versions of Android.

Did you check what Location you set as Destination for the files in the Device Profile in MMW (Tools > Options > Portable Device Sync)? Did the card or the Device Profile come from a different device?
lifeinbeats

Post by lifeinbeats »

It's set to sync to the Music folder at the root level. It seems like MMW is syncing to the android folder temporarily until it determines that the sync was successful and then it moves them to the proper folder. My guess is that if you have an error (like an inaccessible track) MMW doesn't treat it as a successful sync and doesn't transfer the files?
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Capture a problematic sync in a debug log (step 4b) and attach the log to a Support Ticket: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=69