Sync between two Computers

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

RonZimmerman

Re: Sync two Windows computers

Post by RonZimmerman »

Thanks you for your reply. So having 3 separate music libraries won't work. What does a portable installation do?
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
Yes, you will have exactly 3 completely different Libraries that can't be in sync :( due the fact they are individual and specific for each PC

Portable installation if installed on external drive and you scan all content of that drive in MMW library. Then when you insert that Drive in any PC and start MMW Portable you will have access to all the files on drive and any changes will be in MMW portable eg. no need for sync.

FYI i just tried Serial number change on two of my PCs and bunch of Files on each one at same location and as I suspected MMW worked flawlessly due the fact that D:\ on both PCS had same Serial number.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
RonZimmerman

Post by RonZimmerman »

If I change the serial numbers on my hard drives, what do I have to sync to make this work? Where are the MM files that need to be the same?
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
Just copy files to same path on both PCs. I used c:\My Music\
Best regards,
Peke
RonZimmerman

Post by RonZimmerman »

Don't I have to move the MM files, the database to each computer?
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
Yes, isn't that you want to do? eg. have files and MMW DB synced on all PCs?
Best regards,
Peke
RonZimmerman

Post by RonZimmerman »

Yes, so only sync the db file in user/app data/roaming/mediamonkey, not the entire folder.
dennisparrott

Post by dennisparrott »

@gordol --

I did not read all of the replies. It is quite possible that everyone's answers may have fixed your problem. I'm adding my $0.02 to help explain WHY a portable install is a winner for what you _might_ be doing (I say _might_ because all I really know about your intent was that you wanted two installs to stay in sync...).

The other posters who have said that you should do a portable installation are very correct _IF_ you are not expecting to be able to play songs on more than one computer at a time.

What a portable installation does is allow me to install MediaMonkey on an external drive containing all of my music files. I can take that drive containing music+MM and plug it into _ANY_ computer and run MediaMonkey.

One caveat: the drive, when mounted on another computer needs to have the same drive letter as when MM got installed. A necessary-to-have skill is changing a drive letter. In my case it was E: when I installed MM on my new Yoga 920. When I plug it into my desktop machine I sometimes have to change the letter.

What this allows me to do is store my 140K track library on a 4TB pocket-sized hard drive and work on my music (I DJ so I am always crate digging...) on _ANY_ Windows box.

This will get you around the need to sync between installations.

Another thing you will get is simplified backup of your library. All I have to do is plug the drive into a machine and then simply copy the MM install folder and the MM music folder (I have all of my music under a single folder on the drive) to another drive somewhere. (I am dreading that first backup operation... syncing from my drive to the backup drive will be the way to go after that first one...)

There are a number of other folks who say that they prefer other media players (Foobar 2000, for example). I'm probably going to look into doing a portable install of one on that drive so that I can have everything just as I want it without having to keep two copies of the player up to date as well.
RonZimmerman

Post by RonZimmerman »

Thanks everyone for your help, i would prefer not to have to carry an external drive with me, but that is an option. I am going to try to the serial number sync when I get home so the laptop and desktop and media center all have the same music. I'll let you know how it works.
Robindbois

Post by Robindbois »

So, do somebody has a viable solution for this? I am too in that boat. I have two computers and I'd like to sync them entirely without renaming the disk volume.

Why Mediamonkey doesn't have a clean feature to do that as itune? Isn't it a reasonnable need for many people? It is in the MediaMonkey team plan?

There is already a good solution for Android and Apple but no one for any other computer.

Thanks!

Robin
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Many will have their files on a network share instead of on 2 or more computers and the database can be shared: https://www.mediamonkey.com/support/ind ... nvironment (there are multiple access performance issues to content with). There is a specific server in development for use with MediaMonkey products: https://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=31
RonZimmerman

Post by RonZimmerman »

I changed the disk volumes of 2 computers to match the main one and it works. I use synctoy to keep the mediamokey files synced and the music.
jdhill93

Post by jdhill93 »

I think this partition serial number issue is the key to my problem too.
BUT - what are the risks of changing the number - probably on my laptops new data partition to match my big desktop? Trouble on the laptop is not the end of the world, but messing up the desktop could be trouble.
Thanks.

Also, re the last post on syncing - the poster probably wants to sync not only the database mm.db, but also the folders holding the individual music data files. Their tag data will change over time.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
Unless you pair both HDDs with same Serial in same PC you should be safe.
Best regards,
Peke
RonZimmerman

Post by RonZimmerman »

Yes, I also sync the actual music files. I have had no issues on my laptop (Windows 10) and 2 PCs (windows 10, Windows 7) since I matched the serial numbers.