Sync between two Computers

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

Robindbois

Re: Sync two Windows computers

Post by Robindbois »

So is there an implemented solution from MediaMonkey? Do MediaMonkey plan to do it?

It seems an obvious need in the communities and and easy task to do (Itune does it since a long time). The implementation is done for an android device, why not win10 as many user has more thn just one computer.
jiri

Post by jiri »

Yes, this is currently being implemented through MediaMonkey Server. It's a bit rought, as MM5 and MMS are yet the alpha stage, but generally speaking usable.

Jiri
KEP

Post by KEP »

Lowlander wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:37 pm Many will have their files on a network share instead of on 2 or more computers and the database can be shared:
https://www.mediamonkey.com/support/ind ... nvironment
Would like to do this, but am concerned with the first step there... The library is 120k(-ish) tracks, all seen as being on a local (D:) drive under a single (\music) folder.

So if I were to share that folder and scanned \\192.168.1.x\music, does that "just" update the location of found tracks, add an entire new location node, some hybrid of the two (like updating location and other attributes?), or something else I haven't imagined yet?

Assuming it's a new location node, I could then set MM to monitor that as well, and it'd stay in sync with the existing drive node?

Guessing it'd be an "overnight" task given the number of tracks, and that attempts to try over would be rather frustrating, so just trying to get a sense of what to expect. Thanks!
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

If you want to access the files from their UNC Path instead of the local drive letter you can use: https://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewt ... n+database

You don't need to move the files, you just need to tell the database to use a different Path to access them. Once that is done any PC using that database would see the files just fine as their now with their network Path in the database.
KEP

Post by KEP »

Lowlander wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 12:44 pm If you want to access the files from their UNC Path instead of the local drive letter you can use: https://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewt ... n+database

You don't need to move the files, you just need to tell the database to use a different Path to access them. Once that is done any PC using that database would see the files just fine as their now with their network Path in the database.
Understood. Was asking about what "actually happens" in step one of that link you posted. From your response, my take is the database is updated such that there's a single location node that uses the UNC path rather than local drive:\folder, huh? Not two location nodes, one using each naming convention?
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

If you use the Addon to change the Paths, you'll still have a single entry for the files, but now in the new location.

Do make sure that you disable Folder Monitoring on the D drive and that you don't scan it anymore. MediaMonkey will see the D drive and network Path files as 2 different files, thus you'll have duplicates if scanning the D drive after you changed everything to their network Path.

If you have any specific questions about the use of the Addon ask them in its forum thread so the developer can respond: https://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewt ... n+database
KEP

Post by KEP »

Lowlander wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:33 pm If you use the Addon to change the Paths, you'll still have a single entry for the files, but now in the new location.

Do make sure that you disable Folder Monitoring on the D drive and that you don't scan it anymore. MediaMonkey will see the D drive and network Path files as 2 different files, thus you'll have duplicates if scanning the D drive after you changed everything to their network Path.
Ahhh, and this is why I asked! Using the addon didn't even occur to me, but it makes total sense to go that way rather than the way recommended in the first article you linked to. That first step there, scanning the share, just seemed sketchy to me.

Not sure if I'm getting too far off-topic to ask, but, would making the share read-only (selectively, anyway) have a negative impact on MM? Goal would be to prevent editing except on the single machine where the library is maintained.

Thanks!
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

No, it shouldn't cause any problems.
KEP

Post by KEP »

Lowlander wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 4:53 pm No, it shouldn't cause any problems.
Wonderful! Sorry I didn't ask at the same time -- what about the database itself? (Where more "trouble" could actually occur.) If that's shared read-only, that'll work as well?
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

That'll probably cause problems as playing a file will write to the database, among many other things you can do in MediaMonkey. Maybe a separate share that isn't read-only.

If you want true read-only you can use Media Sharing and access through DLNA. That won't allow the client to make any changes to the database (other than tracking plays if enabled) or the files.
KEP

Post by KEP »

Lowlander wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 5:29 pm That'll probably cause problems as playing a file will write to the database, among many other things you can do in MediaMonkey. Maybe a separate share that isn't read-only.
D'oh! Yeah, unless very graceful fails were coded in, damn...

Lowlander wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 5:29 pm If you want true read-only you can use Media Sharing and access through DLNA.
Never found a client that could gracefully cope with 100k+ tracks. (Or even 1000, for that matter.) Otherwise, yeah, that'd definitely be the go-to answer! Neat concept, but seemingly un-implementable.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

MediaMonkey can scan files from a Media Server. I wouldn't necessarily recommend it (preferring direct access), but you'd have the benefit of a local database which is faster and allows much better searching.
KEP

Post by KEP »

Lowlander wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 3:13 pm MediaMonkey can scan files from a Media Server. I wouldn't necessarily recommend it (preferring direct access), but you'd have the benefit of a local database which is faster and allows much better searching.
Fascinating! I never noticed that node at the bottom of the list before! Might have to try that first, actually. Seems ideal, other than potential overhead of keeping things in sync. Thanks!
LindaPeterson

Sync desktop and laptop?

Post by LindaPeterson »

Is it possible to sync MM between the desktop and laptop? I have 3rd party sync software that quickly shows me any files added or changed in either db, but if I use that software, the files are transferred but lose any database info (like LastPlayed, PlayCount). The changed songs would be essentially the same file; the changes would be newly found cover art or adding lyrics or a composer, etc.
Peke

Re: Sync desktop and laptop?

Post by Peke »

Hi,
This is something we are working on in MM5 where we introduced Free MMS (MediaMonkey Server) and middle man.

More to be heard about that very soon, but you can try both in MM5 forum sections.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts