When will you port to Linux?

Any ideas about how to improve MediaMonkey? Let us know!

Moderator: Gurus

skafan00

Re: When will you port to Linux?

Post by skafan00 » Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:29 pm

I do not like the direction Microsoft took with Windows 10. I still use Windows 7. However, support stops in about a year... I am moving on to Linux, but could never give up my beloved MediaMonkey!!!! Help! Privacy vs. MediaMonkey what a quandary.

German Fan

Post by German Fan » Sat Jan 26, 2019 12:45 pm

For me the same: I left Windows because I don't want to use Windows 10. Now I use Linux Mint. I'm an absolute beginner with Linux, so I didn't get run MM with Wine etc. successfully.
My Question is: Is there a date when MM will be available for Linux? Or have I familiarise myself with an other program? (You promise MM on Linux for years!)

PS: I would pay for another (Linux) Lifetime License, too!! Of course!

Lowlander

Post by Lowlander » Sat Jan 26, 2019 1:15 pm

There is no date, not even for MediaMonkey 5 on Windows. Unfortunately it will be ready when it's ready.
Lowlander (MediaMonkey user since 2003)

speedykoala

Post by speedykoala » Sat Feb 16, 2019 10:03 am

Hello there! I'm also waiting for the linux version! I'm willing to buy MM again! :-)

jcfogerty

Post by jcfogerty » Wed Feb 20, 2019 8:51 pm

I can run MM4 in a VirtualBox VM within Arch. But, I use Audacious to listen to my playlists (while silently playing the same playlist on my Android phone with the MM app to capture lastplayed times).

For those using Linux with KDE, you could try my new C++/Qt5 app, ArchSimian. It is a sophisticated playlist creator, and I would love folks to beta test it to find any serious bugs. It is working on my Arch Linux PC now, and it is great for getting outstanding playlists out of my large library. I created this because even nested smart playlists were not giving me the variety and song order I was looking for.

Features are:

• Obtains music tag data and other data stored within the MM.DB file to create a new database for
this application
• Using the database created, and statistics compiled from it, uses the data as constraints to
determine ‘optimum availability’ then iteratively select each single track added to the chosen
playlist
• Saves user preferences, such as file locations for MM4 backup database, MM4 backup playlists
and Archsimian program/playlist preferences
• Obtains or calculates variables for calculating the track selected to add to the playlist:
▪ user’s listening rate (for total tracks needed to be added to the current playlist)
▪ song rating (to determine frequency played)
▪ days since last played (to use with rating)
▪ how many tracks ago was the last appearance of an artist (to avoid repeat artists)
▪ total number of rated tracks of an artist (statistic)
▪ total number of each rating category in the library (statistic)
▪ total number of each rating category by artist (statistic)
▪ last album played for a given artist

Here is the link to the program hosted on Github where you can learn more:

https://github.com/Harpo3/archsimian

colin_e

Post by colin_e » Sat Mar 23, 2019 9:57 am

Vote up
Regards: Colin