How Do You Remove Disc Number?

Help improve MediaMonkey 5 by testing the latest pre-release builds, and reporting bugs and feature requests.

Moderator: Gurus

Stigg

How Do You Remove Disc Number?

Post by Stigg »

When I select and album, it has Disc 1 at the top of the track list. How do I remove that?
yarguy

Re: How Do You Remove Disc Number?

Post by yarguy »

Go to properties for the tracks and delete it.
Stigg

Post by Stigg »

I don't want to delete my tags.
I just don't want Disc 1 to be displayed at the top of every album list.

It doesn't display disc number in MM4.
yarguy

Post by yarguy »

If the album has a single disc then having a tag that says disc 1 is redundant information. If the album has several discs then the fact that disc number is not displayed as a header in MM4 is a problem. The addition of this disc number header to MM5 for multiple disc sets (I always delete disc 1 for single disc albums) is a great improvement. It's pretty much the standard way of displaying this information in recorded music databases (https://www.deutschegrammophon.com/en/cat/4576192 for example). The only improvement in MM5 I would like to see is the ability to name the discs in multiple disc sets (such as Act I, Act II, etc for operas - the Mutter album has redundant names for the discs, but shows the idea).
Peke

Post by Peke »

Can you please make screenshot what you are referring to?

I agree with Yarguy that some views should show disk number as it clearly represents Release and its backup.

I for example love how MM5 show Multi CD Albums like "The Ultimate Eighties: The Album of the Decade" (PIC Below) which is exactly like https://musicbrainz.org/release/7c7b6fe ... eb927de5be and my physical CDs

Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
Stigg

Post by Stigg »

Peke, it is already in your screenshot.
As most albums have only one disc, then Disc 1 is an annoyance.
Besides that, I already have the album selected in the Node on the left.

Also, if I select disc 1 in a 2 disc album, it also displays disc 2, which is not what I selected.
yarguy

Post by yarguy »

Sorry, but I have to disagree. Having all the discs in a set appear when I choose one is just what I do want. Many of the muitiple disc sets in my collection have a composition that will not fit on one disc (a number of Mahler symphonies, for example, as well as almost all operas). Until MM5 has a way to play all the tracks in a composition with one click (see how roon does it, though I think that requires paying rovi for access to their database) I need to have all the tracks displayed so I can highlight them. In other cases, I usually do not remember (nor do I want to have to remember) which disc in a multiple disc set has a particular composition (which of the 10 discs in Chicago Symphony's complete set of Mahler symphonies has symphony number 9?); having them all displayed rather than having to click through disc by disc makes finding the one I want much simpler.

On your other point about wanting to have 1 in the disc tag for single discs, I would point out that most of the single discs I download (primarily from Presto and Bandcamp) do not have anything in the disc tag anyway. You are, of course, free to organize your tracks as you want, but not at the expense of having MM remove one of the useful, important improvements that has been made in MM5.
Graves

Post by Graves »

Despite I don't really mind having Disc 1 standing there, I agree that it'd probably be not the most difficult thing in the world to add something like
If (album.discs.length > 1)
before printing the disc# heading :)
I'd probably appreciate such detail, too

On the other hand, MM wouldn't be any less of a great app without, as simply deleting the disc# tag - if bothering - is just as easy within it.
Stigg

Post by Stigg »

Graves wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:14 pm Despite I don't really mind having Disc 1 standing there, I agree that it'd probably be not the most difficult thing in the world to add something like
If (album.discs.length > 1)
before printing the disc# heading :)
I'd probably appreciate such detail, too

On the other hand, MM wouldn't be any less of a great app without, as simply deleting the disc# tag - if bothering - is just as easy within it.
I am very fastidious with my tagging. I do everything manually to ensure accuracy, and I am NOT about to delete tag data to remove it.
I can't believe anyone would suggest deleting tags to overcome a shortcoming of a player. :o
jiri

Post by jiri »

The idea was that people usually use Disc# only to distinguish multi-disc albums and leave it empty otherwise -- which obviously isn't what everybody does. As I'm not a fan of too many configuration options, I'm not sure what's the best resolution of this. Some people will like to show disc# there, since the field really is filled in, while others don't like it for single disc albums. Thoughts?

Jiri
Graves

Post by Graves »

jiri wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 4:49 am The idea was that people usually use Disc# only to distinguish multi-disc albums and leave it empty otherwise -- which obviously isn't what everybody does. As I'm not a fan of too many configuration options, I'm not sure what's the best resolution of this. Some people will like to show disc# there, since the field really is filled in, while others don't like it for single disc albums. Thoughts?
Agree, an extra option would be pretty overkill for such little effort...

Then again, what if there are other details like this one, some people don't feel comfortable with?
Maybe somebody might think of a common solution for every whiner out there ;)

Since MM5 is based on Chromium AFAIK, I thought the layout must be some sort of HTML or XML - and it is, I've gone through the files.
These .less files in your skin folder are basically Cascaded Stylesheets, and most of MMs functions are coded in simple Javascript.
Nicely done BTW =)

Seems now, as if the HTML for these detail views are 100% generated by Javascripts (didn't find any matching templates, neither was looking quite close nor very long though).
Which might be a great basis for individually adjustable layouts, like u could start MM's fabulous layout configurator, showing tabs for Album View, Artist View etc. Then, a list of details being displayed there - and u could just uncheck what you don't want to be shown. But in this very case - with conditions as well!

Like:
Album Tracklist:
[X] Album title - only if: [anyway]
[X] Year - only if: [anyway]
[X] Album Artist - only if: [<Album Artist> NOT "Various"]

Damn, we'd be asking a lot though by really requesting such thing...