iTunes to MM Transition Package

Get answers about the current release of MediaMonkey for Android

Moderator: Gurus

LittleReg

iTunes to MM Transition Package

Post by LittleReg » Sun May 05, 2019 12:38 pm

Does anyone know if there's a comprehensive document that details the process of transitioning an iTunes library to MM for Android? I've tried stumbling through it myself, but I see that there are many errors that have already popped up. First, there is some missing album art between iTunes and the desktop MM (don't know why - all images are copied JPGs), and inexplicably, there is album art in the desktop MM that is missing on the Android phone (I don't even know how this can be). Furthermore, there is a mismatch between the number of imported files in MM vs. what is displayed in iTunes. I could understand a few mistakes, but my iTunes library is fully audited.

I'm expecting a couple of cleanup tasks when migrating, however, what I have right now is such a mess (52,000 songs in the library), that it would take me weeks to clean it all up, and besides, there is still the matter of issues between MM desktop and MM Android. I'm getting the typical useless "cannot be done" errors when MM attempts to sync with the phone - real showstoppers in any decision to migrate.

Lastly, using MM to manage the transfer has killed my vehicle app - no artwork, no search, no FF/RW, no playlists, etc.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated, including the honest "Don't try this - it can't be done." Thanks.

Lowlander

Re: iTunes to MM Transition Package

Post by Lowlander » Sun May 05, 2019 3:45 pm

iTunes partly stores things in a proprietary format not-compatible with other software. So somethings including Artwork may need to be re-done.

MMW works best if you have the Album files and the Artwork for the Album in the same folder, and not files from other Albums in that folder. Than simple scanning should pick up (make sure scan file directories for Artwork is enabled (Tools > Options > Library)).

Sync problems:
http://www.mediamonkey.com/support/inde ... tion-fails
http://www.mediamonkey.com/support/inde ... ork-at-all

As for MMA, it works best if files are synced from MMW to MMA as that allows MMW to update the MMA Library directly, thus more information will come across: https://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/index. ... oid_device

What vehicle App are you using?

Also make sure both MMW and MMA are up-to-date as fixes and improvements are constantly made and often relies on both being up-to-date.
Lowlander (MediaMonkey user since 2003)

LittleReg

Post by LittleReg » Tue May 07, 2019 8:13 pm

Thanks, Lowlander. I'm using BMW's iDrive app, but I've since learned that this is a lost cause, so I guess I can't hold Media Monkey liable for that one. I've followed the rest of your advice and things seem to be working very well now, although I can find no rhyme or reason why there is missing artwork. Sometimes, the missing artwork is in the song/album folder, sometimes not. Sometimes in shows on the Artwork tab in the Properties in MM, sometimes not. Sometimes the artwork needs me to designate what type it is (e.g., Cover), sometimes not.

The above is treatable with a few tricks I've developed, but the one that is the most frustrating is when the artwork is fine on my desktop, but even after a copy and/or sync, it's still missing from my Android app. I don't understand how this can be, but there doesn't seem to be a way on my phone to "jog" the song/album.

Other than this, I can say that I am highly impressed with MM - blows iTunes away. Thanks again for your help!

Lowlander

Post by Lowlander » Tue May 07, 2019 11:37 pm

Have you tried rescanning in MMW? It may pick up the missing Artwork (as long as that option to scan file directories for Artwork is enabled.

Make sure you sync between MMW and MMA and Artwork should be synced over with the files. There are settings in the Device Profile on how Artwork should be synced. You may have set it to remove large Artwork on sync.
Lowlander (MediaMonkey user since 2003)