Alphabetic search in MM ?

Help improve MediaMonkey 5 by testing the latest pre-release builds, and reporting bugs and feature requests.

Moderator: Gurus

Barry4679

Re: Alphabetic search in MM ?

Post by Barry4679 »

Ludek wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 6:39 am Barry's configs proposal is quite unclear to me
"Configure Sort" - why "configure sort" ? There is nothing related to sorting -- or am I missing something ??
A typo ... I meant "Configure Search" ... sorry ... I put an update into the post to avoid further confusion

I also updated the diagram, just in case the shorthand way that I illustrated the check boxes was confusing you.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ue1xa4w0pa20y ... l.png?dl=0

Ludek wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 6:39 am Sure, adding another config is a solution, but I am not keen of adding too many options
I was not suggesting another config .... I was just extending your one here.
  • retains your checkbutton to toggle between filter|scroll behaviours
  • replaces your button with another check button to toggle from contextual to global search, see discussion below
  • add a check button to toggle between the primary search_every_word, and your new search from_beginning_of_tag behaviour
  • in the "advanced" section also adds a button to alert user that a search syntax is available ... just displays your existing tool tip (which can be hard to trigger or discover)
  • and a button to alert user that customisation of which tags are searched is also available (also hard to discover) ... just transfers user to your Tools|Options|Library|Search panel
  • also an info message, when in scroll mode, displaying which column is being used ... this was simple in MM4 sub nodes ... the sub node dictated the tag, and was obvious ... in MM5 the tag being used is variable, ie. is dictated by the primary sort, which is not obvious, nor readily discoverable

Maybe it wasn't clear from my post, but I was suggesting unifying the two search facilities. ... ie. less complexity, not more ... unify these:
  • the global Ctrl+F facility, with the magnifying glass icon, at the right of the tool bar
  • and the separate contextual facility, also with the magnifying glass icon, that appears in the middle of the tool bar
ie. just have one ...
  • if the users clicks ctrl+F, or presses the rhs magnifying glass icon, it sets the scope checkbox to "the whole database"
  • or if they just type something, it sets the scope checkbox to "just the current view"
Ludek wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 6:39 am I still believe that an automatic compromise mostly works better for users that are bored (or bothered) by many configs -- and by trying to find what the individual configs mean or should do to meet their needs.
Typically no need to configure anything, nor bore anyone ... everything operates as it does now ...but it would do two things:
  • document the existing filter|search facilities, and make them more discoverable ... IMO
  • eliminates the confusing UI where there are two apparent search locations, ie. rhs and the also the middle of the tool bar ... and any user who is lost, has a way of toggling in either direction
Ludek wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 6:39 am we can add a config for it later (once it is found as needed or based on feedback/experience)
Sure ... but I think that confusion is already apparent just in this limited beta|alpha test population.
Want a dark skin for MM5? This is the one that works best for me .. elegant, compact & clear.
Davo

Post by Davo »

Barry, I concur with your idea of unifying the search facility. Having two search locations is confusing imo. Usually i would expect one search location which comprised basic search options together with a link to what is generally named "Advanced Search" which contains the syntax for more conditional search statements.
I think most people would be familiar with this arrangement.
David

Post by Ludek »

if the users clicks ctrl+F, or presses the rhs magnifying glass icon, it sets the scope checkbox to "the whole database"
or if they just type something, it sets the scope checkbox to "just the current view"
But his is how it currently already works, so I don't understand what you are suggesting as the change ???
eliminates the confusing UI where there are two apparent search locations, ie. rhs and the also the middle of the tool bar ... and any user who is lost, has a way of toggling in either direction
The locations are intentional for the users to clearly see which mode is being used.
If you just type something then the search bar is part of the navigation bar to indicate that the current view is being searched.
As opposite, if you click the magnifying glass (or type Ctrl+F) then the search bar is on the right to indicate that the global library is being searched.

In your approach I don't see how one could detect whether he is in the "contextual mode (typing in a view)" or the "global mode (Ctrl+F)" ?
Barry4679

Post by Barry4679 »

Ludek wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 3:53 am But his is how it currently already works, so I don't understand what you are suggesting as the change ???
I am basically proposing that discoverability be improved.

The problem as I see it

MM5 sort filter capabilities are really good. ... but there are many things to understand, the initial experience is very confusing, and discoverability is poor ... eg.:
  • both contextual and global scopes are available
  • there are filter as well as scroll options
  • when scrolling, you can now chose which columns is being scrolled
  • there are every-word or first_characters search options
  • a search syntax is available
  • it is possible to select which tags should be searched
Made difficult because some of the settings are either:
  • in the Tools|option maze
  • and some are driven by the UI, or the Edit menu, or a control key
  • and one is disclosed behind a tool tip with a 2 second delay
  • and one is now triggered by a automatic "magic" function, that you couldn't guess if you tried
So what I am suggesting is that alongside the search control there be a "config" button which:
  • shows that these functions exist
  • and is a jumping off point so that people can locate them
  • and (i'm stretching it here :wink: ) convenience functions so that people could toggle their search from contextual->global->back to their prior context ... and a way to switch from scrolling using column A, to scrolling via column B
That's basically the guts of it. ... yes, it is the same ... but I think that it would help people to use MM5 searching power, like a pro, and also help avoid confusion.

And then I also suggested that the two search controls could also be unified, because I initially found them confusing.
Ludek wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 3:53 am The locations are intentional for the users to clearly see which mode is being used.
But it is not clear IMO.

Firstly I did not know that there were search-scope modes. ... So I had no idea what you were trying to indicate.

I didn't have the rhs panel displayed. ... and in this state the UI didn't warn me if I type a search string here, that I will abruptly be navigated from my selected context?
https://www.dropbox.com/s/n1pn9nx1ye68e ... r.png?dl=0

TBH, it wasn't until your question today that I had noticed the contextual search control was supposed to be seen as part of the contextual bread crumbs ... all I saw was that it was over there, and now it is over here for some reason .... I'll let you decide whether that is my bad, or whether the UI is complex, with lots of moving parts.

Ludek wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 3:53 am In your approach I don't see how one could detect whether he is in the "contextual mode (typing in a view)" or the "global mode (Ctrl+F)" ?
It is a bit hard to miss it, isn't it? .... they look different.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/pyh2zrte3pys1 ... t.png?dl=0

And a tool tip for the rhs magnify glass would help ...eg. "global whole database search ... nb. to constrain the search to your current view, just use the keyboard"
Want a dark skin for MM5? This is the one that works best for me .. elegant, compact & clear.
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

I understand that the initial using can be confusing -- mainly with regard to typing in a view where it automatically starts searching,
but we hoped that this dropdown: https://www.dropbox.com/s/u1ujmn1ylhzxp ... n.png?dl=0 makes it clearer as user can toggle between "Scroll to matches / Filter matches" and can also click "Search whole library" to switch to the global mode.
The link to Options > Search isn't there as with relation to the contextual search there is nothing more in the Options, just the "Scroll to matches / Filter matches" switch, see: https://www.dropbox.com/s/6196gwjnxz8yt ... 7.png?dl=0

What I see as most confusing now is the search bar in the "global" mode: https://www.dropbox.com/s/n1pn9nx1ye68e ... r.png?dl=0
You can right-click the magnifying glass to show the further options like "Advanced search", link to "Options", but user will hardly realize that he needs to right-click the magnifying glass. I also think that your suggestion that clicking the magnifying glass should show the dropdown menu would be still confusing and hard to realize that one can click the magnifying glass.

A solution could be rather to show the dropdown arrow also in the "global search context":
i.e. whenever the search bar is displayed then the magnifying glass icon on the right would disappear and there would be the dropdown arrow next to the search bar in _all_ modes. And (as you suggested) it would also include links to 'Options' and 'Advanced search' (that are currently missing there).

Would this be clearer??

EDIT: There was also another approach suggested by Rusty in the past, see: https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view ... 077#c52972

But Jiri (and me) don't like the extra row:
[Current View] [Find all] [Scroll to] . . . . . . . . . . [Advanced search/filter...]
as the row unnecessary adds some further elements (buttons) on the toolbar and it is not obvious what the buttons do, the button captions are not clear enough IMHO. In addition this extra row would result in unnecessary resizing of the middle view part -- which does not look good (already tried during the implementation)

Issue https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=15077 to be re-opened based on feedback here.
Davo

Post by Davo »

@Ludek
Based on all this discussion i really think you should go back to the drawing board on the 'search' function. Searching may not be a big issue if you only have a few hundred or less albums, but for people with large libraries (mine is 30,000 albums) a fast, comprehesive & easy to use search function is critical.

Even the "automatic" feature you propose to facilitate Alphabetic searching on the first two letters of a word only goes part way to satisfy the need for IMO a complete Alphabetic partial word search. The problem at the moment is if i'm looking for the composer Rachmaninov & i type rach i get very few results. it seems the only way is to type the tag name & composer name ie 'composer:rachmaninov' . & if i type 'composer:rach' i get nothing because it's a whole word search.

The fact is many artists, composers etc have quite long names so it is important to have a shorthand way of finding them.

Also i had assumed that if i selected say, My Classical Collection and then the Composer node then any search i typed would be on that node but that is clearly not the case.
David

Post by Barry4679 »

Lukek,

thanks for opening up a little, and showing how hard it is design a UI for a powerful facility like MM5 search|filter, and making it suitable for all situations ... ie. power users, through to those just starting to evaluate MM5 ... for both PC users and for touch users ... etc

I think that the result of your labours is an admirable result for power users .... I have a few small ammended suggestions which may make it more discoverable and comprehensible for new or casual users.

If I try and think like a newbie who wants to search I would go in either of two directions: the main menu, or the GUI

1. A "main menu" user

The Edit menu has just two "search" items; Search and Advanced Search. ... so it looks to this user that these are all that has been implemented in MM5 ... not a good start

Suggestion: You should have three menu items:
  • "Contextual Search: search just within your current Media Tree node (Ctrl+Shirt+F)"
  • "Global Search: search the whole MM database (Ctrl+F)"
  • "Advanced Search.. : design|use complex search criteria"

2. A "GUI" user

How to search is fairly obvious to this user; it is that magnifying glass on rhs of the screen ... a little bit of doubt, because there is also a funnel icon ... but lets just focus on the magnifying glass.

The user clicks the funnel, and it looks good to go.

But no ... it abruptly navigates him out of the node he was trying to search ... and MM5 looks broken, or deficient.

Or try this ... somehow he stumbled into the contextual search ... he didn't really notice what he did ... but there it is, a contextual search control has opened ... he uses it ... is good ... then wants to close it ... clicks the lhs magnify glass ... nothing ... clicks the rhs magnifying glass ... it closes ... good.

Then he wants another search ... click the thing that it closed it ... ? it opens in a different position? ... he uses it anyway, and ... ??! it is different ... he is navigated away back to home again

I think that the conclusion is likely to be that MM5 is flaky, and not ready for prime time yet.

Suggestion:

A bit of background first; the little drop down that you have implemented for the contextual search control is a good start .... but is needed for the rhs search control also ... this is the only search control that is visible the whole time ... the user is well confused before the contextual search control becomes visable

And I agree with you, the right click menu on the rhs magnifying glass doesn't help discoverabilty ... I had not found until you mentioned it yesterday.

Suggestions:
  • tooltip: the tool bar has some tooltips (eg. hover over the backbar, the funnel, the view icon, etc ... they all have a tooltip) ... but the most complex icon (the magnifying glass) has nothing ?! ... it should be something like "global (whole db) search ... ps. just use your keyboard to do a contextual search."
  • search drop down menu: when the rhs magnifying glass is clicked (or Ctl+F, etc). also display the drop down control between the entry control the you create, and the magnifying glass ... ie. make it obvious ... it explains that search will be global, and allows switch to a contextual entry field, alongside the bread crumbs, as you have it now
Ludek wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 6:13 am I understand that the initial using can be confusing -- mainly with regard to typing in a view where it automatically starts searching,
but we hoped that this dropdown: https://www.dropbox.com/s/u1ujmn1ylhzxp ... n.png?dl=0 makes it clearer as user can toggle between "Scroll to matches / Filter matches" and can also click "Search whole library" to switch to the global mode.
But is needed on the rhs even more ... as per above
Ludek wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 6:13 am I also think that your suggestion that clicking the magnifying glass should show the dropdown menu would be still confusing and hard to realize that one can click the magnifying glass.
Issue https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=15077 to be re-opened based on feedback here.
I think I was suggesting a tool bar button, and a hover tool tip for the magnifying glass, not a click action.

Ludek wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 6:13 am A solution could be rather to show the dropdown arrow also in the "global search context":
i.e. whenever the search bar is displayed then the magnifying glass icon on the right would disappear and there would be the dropdown arrow next to the search bar in _all_ modes. And (as you suggested) it would also include links to 'Options' and 'Advanced search' (that are currently missing there).

Would this be clearer??
Yes ... I got distracted by the Mantis discussion ... now that i read your response more clearly, I see that we both have the same suggestion> :)

Ludek wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 6:13 am Issue https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=15077 to be re-opened based on feedback here.
Wrong link? ... does not seem to address the current discussion?
Barry4679

Post by Barry4679 »

A couple of other thoughts.

Can you configure the backgroup of the entry widget that you are using? ... Is something like this possible?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2f9i4mozg8ypi ... d.png?dl=0

and
Barry4679 wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 2:02 am
  • tooltip: the tool bar has some tooltips (eg. hover over the backbar, the funnel, the view icon, etc ... they all have a tooltip) ... but the most complex icon (the magnifying glass) has nothing ?! ... it should be something like "global (whole db) search ... ps. just use your keyboard to do a contextual search."[/list]
maybe a better tooltip would be "global (whole database) search ... nb. shift+click this icon for a contextual search"

ie. a shift+click of rhs magnifying glass, or ctrl+shift+F keys, opens the contextual search entry control, next to the breadcrumbs as you have now.

and leave any attempt to explain the type-into-the-grid behaviour to the "tips" section of the search drop down menu, as previously suggested?
Barry4679

Post by Barry4679 »

Davo wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 6:38 pmThe problem at the moment is if i'm looking for the composer Rachmaninov & i type rach i get very few results. it seems the only way is to type the tag name & composer name ie 'composer:rachmaninov' . & if i type 'composer:rach' i get nothing because it's a whole word search.
Hi David,

I think that the only "whole word" search that is offered, is if you used the syntax *rachmaninov* .... ps. Ludek: I just tested it, and it is broken

Otherwise, what they have is "every word", not "whole word" ... so in a every word search, rach would find "Sergei Rachmaninov" as well as "Rachmaninov, Sergei", because it looked at all words.

The new thing implemented by Ludek would only scroll to "Rachmaninov, Sergei", as it just looks at the front of the tag, as per your request.

I can get scroll working OK with a search of "composer:rach"
[UPDATE] ... sorry David, "composer:rach" does not work, but rach does ... to see why, read the following ... ps. Ludek: syntax not implemented in scroll mode? ... seems like a thing that should be fixed .. ?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/c9mycxkwk1tjo ... 1.png?dl=0

Do you understand that if you are using the scroll mode of search, that the display needs to be sorted by the tag that you are scrolling?

ie. if your display is sorted by Artist, then only the artist tag is searched for the next scroll-to target.

So in my illustration above I had it sorted by Composer.

It does seem a PIA limitation.

I think that where you explicitly designated a tag (like "composer:rach"), then you would think that they would scroll via that tag, regardless of display sort sequence. ... maybe it something that can be fixed? ... the meantime, the workaround is to re-sort your display.

Or are you taking about Grid view, where the sort syntax doesn't seem to have been implemented? ... like this
https://www.dropbox.com/s/2b72z7kjbvjpe ... 2.png?dl=0

Earth to Ludek: you keep omitting to answer this query|bug, asked 5 times now in this thread?

See bottom of this post: http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 23#p458823
Davo

Post by Davo »

@Ludek
After reviewing the preceeding discussions & playing around more with the search options, this is my current understanding :-

1. For global search you can toggle between whole word or partial as an option when you right click the magnifying glass.

2. In the Grid View when i search at a node, say Composer using a partial word, say Beet for Beethoven it returns Beethoven & Ludwig Van Beethoven & Beethoven, Luwig Van. which is what i want; This is also useful where Composers names have different spellings, eg, Rachmaninov or Rachmaninoff. So 'rach' will find both.
Unfortunately when i switch to Album & Tracks view i lose the focus on Composer and the same search returns every instance of 'rach' eg the artist 'Rachel Barton'

Based on this i think implementing the "automatic" Alphabetic search function will likely only complicate & confuse things further. For my purposes the search as described at Item 2 above will suffice. Although it is limiting to be constrained to the Grid View
David

Post by Ludek »

As for the Barry's feedback re the clearness which search mode is being applied.
I re-opened #15077 and summarized it as item G) : https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view ... 077#c53554

1. For global search you can toggle between whole word or partial as an option when you right click the magnifying glass.
I don't see this, in my case it always searches beginning of the words until I change it in Options > Search: https://www.dropbox.com/s/jtj9r1ouqo6kr ... 4.png?dl=0

2. In the Grid View when i search at a node, say Composer using a partial word, say Beet for Beethoven it returns Beethoven & Ludwig Van Beethoven & Beethoven, Luwig Van. which is what i want; This is also useful where Composers names have different spellings, eg, Rachmaninov or Rachmaninoff. So 'rach' will find both.
Unfortunately when i switch to Album & Tracks view i lose the focus on Composer and the same search returns every instance of 'rach' eg the artist 'Rachel Barton'

Based on this i think implementing the "automatic" Alphabetic search function will likely only complicate & confuse things further. For my purposes the search as described at Item 2 above will suffice. Although it is limiting to be constrained to the Grid View
'composer:rach' can be used on "track level", i.e. in "List View" & "Album & Tracks" you specifies (by using 'composer:rach' ) that you are searching composer field of the track entities. But in the grid view (like [Music > Artists]) it supposed that you want to search withing artist tag. To search for composer in the grid view you can go to [Music > Composer] and type "rach" there.

As for the implementing the "automatic" Alphabetic search function: note that this has been implemented only for the "scroll to matches" mode, i.e. if you want to scroll an item in the large list of composers, so that typing "ra" brings you to the first composer item starting with "ra"

Also i had assumed that if i selected say, My Classical Collection and then the Composer node then any search i typed would be on that node but that is clearly not the case.
Just testing, and it is the case for me here (supposing that you are doing the contextual search -- typing in the view) and not the global search (Ctrl+F), can you confirm?

The problem at the moment is if i'm looking for the composer Rachmaninov & i type rach i get very few results.
I don't see this, can you elaborate where you typed 'rach' and in which mode? Global (Ctrl+F) or contextual?
Davo

Post by Davo »

Hi Ludek
Item 1 - re magnifying glass, i probably could have worded that better. I was just pointing out that until recently i didn't realise you could right click the magnifying glass to get to the Options window.

Re all the other search issues mentioned I confirm that I am doing a Contextual search. At the time i raised these issues i didn't realize that a View would affect the search syntax. ie
'composer:rach' can be used on "track level", i.e. in "List View" & "Album & Tracks" you specifies (by using 'composer:rach' ) that you are searching composer field of the track entities. But in the grid view (like [Music > Artists]) it supposed that you want to search withing artist tag. To search for composer in the grid view you can go to [Music > Composer] and type "rach" there.
Perhaps there is a technical reason for having to search this way but logically i don't believe that changing a View should require a different search statement. After all, the Collection & the Node have'nt changed. So having performed the search I just want to view the result in different formats (Views). Similar to calculating data in a spreadsheet then viewing the results as a Pie, Column, Line or Bar chart
David

Post by Barry4679 »

Davo wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 4:40 pmi don't believe that changing a View should require a different search statement. After all, the Collection & the Node have'nt changed. So having performed the search I just want to view the result in different formats (Views). Similar to calculating data in a spreadsheet then viewing the results as a Pie, Column, Line or Bar chart
Further to this, it seems a pity that the new MM5 scroll facility has been nobbled.

In MM4 all we had was a simple scroll, where we were scrolling a Media Tree single-tag index, and we could see the index ... in MM5, we may be scrolling in a list or grid, where the index being scrolled is less obvious, and the column or the column for the tag may not even be displayed.

Since the scroll index is not obvious to the user, why not allow a free form scroll, where the user can explicitly override the default tag to be scrolled, by using the syntax of "fieldname:A" that you implemented elsewhere?
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

Further to this, it seems a pity that the new MM5 scroll facility has been nobbled.

In MM4 all we had was a simple scroll, where we were scrolling a Media Tree single-tag index, and we could see the index ... in MM5, we may be scrolling in a list or grid, where the index being scrolled is less obvious, and the column or the column for the tag may not even be displayed.
In MM4 the situation was pretty similar, if you were in [Music > Artists] and focused the list-view then it scrolled to the index of the first sort column (which was not obvious at all in MM4). In MM5 we at least shows "phrase not found within "Album Artist" column".

And if you selected and expanded [Music > Artists] node in MM4 then the scroll index was the artist (within media tree), this is similar to MM5 when if you are in
[Music > Artists] (Grid view) then the artist index is being scrolled.

In addition in MM4 the phrase that you typed was not visible at all, while in MM5 there is the search bar with the phrase entered and the [ˇ][^] buttons to go to the next/previous phrase without a need to type it again (unlike in MM4).

So I totally don't understand why MM5 shouldn't be an improvement against MM4 ??

Since the scroll index is not obvious to the user, why not allow a free form scroll, where the user can explicitly override the default tag to be scrolled, by using the syntax of "fieldname:A" that you implemented elsewhere?
Yes, this could be an improvement, but probably also hard to realize (and I doubt that it would make things clearer).
Nevertheless added as item H) here: https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view ... 077#c53707
Barry4679

Post by Barry4679 »

Ludek wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 6:13 am So I totally don't understand why MM5 shouldn't be an improvement against MM4 ??
Yes sorry, it probably is an an improvement based upon your examples. I had never used MM4 scrolling exactly like that.

I should have expressed it differently. .... I initially saw the removal of the sub nodes in the media tree, and some of the new searching|filters options in MM4, as a welcome freedom from having to expand the MM4 Media Tree column, and then muck about with a very very long Media Tree sub node index list.

I still think that current MM5 is still a bit nobbled in the current implementation ... ie. I have to resort the grid|list, or I have to bring the Media Tree back, and navigate to a different index, and lose my position .... it would be better to just give you a scroll start string in the form "fieldname:xxx" .... it would even be OK if threw up a error message if I wanted to scroll on a column which didn't have an index.

And I think that it is disappoint that the sort syntax isn't available everywhere ... eg. maybe I am here https://www.dropbox.com/s/3jdfw1m2cr2b7 ... x.png?dl=0
and I want to search on something like "album:moon" ... and you would show me just the albumartists having and album with "moon" in their title. ... maybe a silly example, but you know what I mean.

I think MM5 is harder to learn and enjoy if there are too many differences between the modes and views ... ie. I saw I sort sequence before ... why can't I use it now?? where is it???

-------

Some other related feedback.
Ludek_in_Mantis wrote: Suggestions to improve: show the drop down arrow also in the global search context too.
i.e. whenever the search bar is displayed then the magnifying glass icon on the right would disappear and there would be the dropdown arrow next to the search bar in _all_ modes.
I don't understand why you would do the bolded bit

I don't think that will help ... the looking glass reminds us that this is a search control .... why make it disappear? ... it would be better to open the entry field (as you do now), and insert the drop down menu control between the entry control and the lokking glass IMO

Ludek_in_Mantis wrote: - it would also include links to 'Options' and 'Advanced search'
btw Advanced Search facility is a bit confusing ATM. ... It is just the Funnel filter facility by another name isn't it?

If I open the funnel, and then want to close it when I am done, I need to click the funnel again ... ie. the Esc key does not work here

If I go into "Advanced Search", via your current looking glass menu option, I need to close via the Esc key

It would good if the Esc key worked in both situations, and if there was also a "x" closing control at the top right of those panels for people who don't know to try the Esc key.

Ludek wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 4:50 am As for the Barry's feedback re the clearness which search mode is being applied.
I re-opened #15077 and summarized it as item G) : https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view ... 077#c53554
Item "G" does not seem to cover all of my feedback ... this is a long thread, with long posts ... you read, and rejected the following points? ... or you didn't see them?

1. The Edit menu has just two "search" items; Search and Advanced Search. ... so it looks, to a menu-focus user, that these are all the search facilities that have been implemented in MM5

Suggestion: You should have three menu items:
"Contextual Search: search just within your current Media Tree node (Ctrl+Shirt+F)"
"Global Search: search the whole MM database (Ctrl+F)"
"Advanced Search.. : design|use complex search criteria"

The Ctrl+Shift+F accelerator is suggested not only to be consistent with the other menu item ... but is suggested to be an addition to the just_start_typing behaviour, because being short, it is easy to describe in a hover tool top ... ie. a hover tool tip for the rhs looking glass, which is the search related icon that is always visible in the GUI

2. problem with the search syntax ... *Abc* doesn't work ... ie. *beefheart* doesn't find Captain Beefheart ... neither does *Beefheart*

Another comment about your tool tip describing the sort syntax ... why include capitals in your examples in situations where they are no meaningful? ... ie. the top example ... it looks like I have use capitals where you indicated ... ie. requiring Beefheart instead of beefheart
https://www.dropbox.com/s/p9qccjg48i9j1 ... s.png?dl=0