Automatic BPM detection for FLAC

Any ideas about how to improve MediaMonkey for Windows 4? Let us know!

Moderator: Gurus

Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

There is no such project at this point.

You'll need some external application/plugin to calculate the bpm value. This value then needs to be save to the library and tags which can be done with scripts.

Teknojnky's method might work. MediaMonkey sees the files in the library and the VirtualCD as one file. So saving to virtualCD as mp3 might do the trick. You might want to try this method.

Another way would pretty much do the same. You'll need to convert the flac's to mp3, calculate the bpm and use a script to copy the mp3 bpm to the flac files. If you keep the same names it shouldn't be that difficult to code.

The question is if you could add conversion to a script so you could have the script do the conversion. Then either the script could call MixMeister or you'll have to do it manually if MixMeister doesn't support it. Have the bpm value calculated. Then update the library (or read the id3 tag) and get the bpm value. Save this to Flac version and delete the mp3. This all together would not be a simple script.

Post by Guest »

Thanks for the suggestion, lowlander, but this is a hell of a workaround!

Converting every file to mp3 soley in order to calculate the BPM seems like overkill. BPM is a property of the audio, not the audio file format. The MixMeister app must decompress the mp3 in order to find the BPM of the audio content.

This comes back to my original wishlist request. I need something that can detect BPM of audio from any source format.

I have no problem with doing a bit of scripting. Perhaps the best solution is to make a script that converts the flac file to an mp3 snippet, calls the MixMeister app to insert the BPM tag, copy it to the MM database and delete the file. Still a bit of a work-around, but it's all automatic that way.

Can the MixMeister app be called from a VB script? If not, there is still a strong case for a generic BPM plugin.
andysaul

Post by andysaul »

Anonymous wrote:Thanks for the suggestion, lowlander, but this is a hell of a workaround!

Converting every file to mp3 soley in order to calculate the BPM seems like overkill. BPM is a property of the audio, not the audio file format. The MixMeister app must decompress the mp3 in order to find the BPM of the audio content.

This comes back to my original wishlist request. I need something that can detect BPM of audio from any source format.

I have no problem with doing a bit of scripting. Perhaps the best solution is to make a script that converts the flac file to an mp3 snippet, calls the MixMeister app to insert the BPM tag, copy it to the MM database and delete the file. Still a bit of a work-around, but it's all automatic that way.

Can the MixMeister app be called from a VB script? If not, there is still a strong case for a generic BPM plugin.
That was me, BTW. Thought I'd logged in...
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

It was suggested as workaround as there is no solution currently and it seems a solution might not be available in the near future. And the problem it seems that MixMeister doesn't calculate BPM on Flac.
Teknojnky

Post by Teknojnky »

MM doesn't calculate BPM at all, so maybe you could contact the mixmiester people and see if they would be willing to support other file types.
Tylast

Post by Tylast »

Any BPM projects on the horizon?
rovingcowboy

Post by rovingcowboy »

why not just go in to the scripts forum's all script thread and get the one in there that makes adding bpm's to the songs for all songs in your lib simple.

psyxonova, made the script his should work for you. but if not i had to adjust his to work on my computer so it might work for you.

try his first it might be easier then my redo of his which is not to much of a redo just an adjustment for my win98 computer.

but get his first version of the script before you try mine.

http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5803
roving cowboy / keith hall. My skins http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =9&t=16724 for some help check on Monkey's helpful messages at http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 4008#44008 MY SYSTEMS.1.Jukebox WinXp pro sp 3 version 3.5 gigabyte mb. 281 GHz amd athlon x2 240 built by me.) 2.WinXP pro sp3, vers 2.5.5 and vers 3.5 backup storage, shuttle 32a mb,734 MHz amd athlon put together by me.) 3.Dell demension, winxp pro sp3, mm3.5 spare jukebox.) 4.WinXp pro sp3, vers 3.5, dad's computer bought from computer store. )5. Samsung Galaxy A51 5G Android ) 6. amd a8-5600 apu 3.60ghz mm version 4 windows 7 pro bought from computer store.
Tylast

Post by Tylast »

OK, tried that....they don't work.
rovingcowboy

Post by rovingcowboy »

darn? i don't know then that works for me. :o
roving cowboy / keith hall. My skins http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =9&t=16724 for some help check on Monkey's helpful messages at http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 4008#44008 MY SYSTEMS.1.Jukebox WinXp pro sp 3 version 3.5 gigabyte mb. 281 GHz amd athlon x2 240 built by me.) 2.WinXP pro sp3, vers 2.5.5 and vers 3.5 backup storage, shuttle 32a mb,734 MHz amd athlon put together by me.) 3.Dell demension, winxp pro sp3, mm3.5 spare jukebox.) 4.WinXp pro sp3, vers 3.5, dad's computer bought from computer store. )5. Samsung Galaxy A51 5G Android ) 6. amd a8-5600 apu 3.60ghz mm version 4 windows 7 pro bought from computer store.
andysaul

Post by andysaul »

In case anyone's still interested, here's the solution I finally used.

1) Create an auto-playlist that lists all tracks without BPM
2) Convert all files from FLAC to MP3 at the same location. I used 96k mono files to save space.
3) Run MixMeister on the whole directory. This calculates BPM for the new MP3 files & writes it in their tags.
4) Open the 'Duplicate Titles' node. Use a script to copy the BPM field to the FLAC entry.
5) Delete MP3 duplicates that are no longer necessary.
6) Defrag.

Thanks to Teknojnky & Lowlander for suggesting this workaround. It's a long way round, but is fully automated so I can just leave the PC to get on with it.:wink:

The script I used is from this post. I just hacked it to use the BPM field rather than the ratings field.
Frank67

Post by Frank67 »

well i think i push this thread up again...

I really would like to see a real BPM counter (calculator) in the player display
with the abillity to save the result in the played file by pushing
a button...
For me, i don´t need a script to proccess "all" files,
beause automatic BPM counting doesn´t work well all the time...

I don´t understand that this function isn´t build in already, because
there are cheaper tools or freeware mixers who can show BPM's
like "MJ Studio" or Mix Meister...
cheers
Frank
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Well, only a few DJ's would find the BPM value useful. Besides it probably uses additional CPU to show BPM in real time. We'll see if the developers include more BPM functionality in the future (like autoDJ with BPM in decision making of next track).
Frank67

Post by Frank67 »

Lowlander wrote:Well, only a few DJ's would find the BPM value useful. Besides it probably uses additional CPU to show BPM in real time. We'll see if the developers include more BPM functionality in the future (like autoDJ with BPM in decision making of next track).
Na i don´t think that only DJ´s are interested in this function..
I am using the BPM field to categorize music for my sports,
like Jogging or Spinning ...
cheers
Frank
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

But for jogging a static BPM value (calculated over the whole song) is enough I would think. And for that you can use the MixMeister BPM calculator.

Build in BPM analyzer was promised a long time ago, but I assume it has since dropped on the priority wishlist.
Tylast

Post by Tylast »

But it doesn't work with Flac & it writes to a text file. There needs to be something more integrated that write directly to the database.