Destroyed mp3:s

This forum is for reporting bugs in MediaMonkey for Windows 4. Note that version 4 is no longer actively maintained as it has been replaced by version 5.

Moderator: Gurus

Kaiser

Destroyed mp3:s

Post by Kaiser »

I just lost 6 mp3 albums in the same way Dread wrote about in the subject "severe problem" (inserted below).

The majority of the files in each album are reduced to a file size of about 1 kb, and 1, 2 or three files are left unharmed. I can't tell in which situation this may have occured, but it's a fact that the songs are gone. Does anybody know what's the cause of this?? I'm using mm gold and XP...

Dreads post:

"Dread

Posted: Sun Nov 09, 2003 12:57 pm Post subject: Severe problem: Tagging might delete songs

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi there,

When tagging mp3-files I sometimes experience a severe problem recently: After tagging the file is very small (e.g. 10k), only about a second of music is left.

I don't no how to reproduce this error, but it might only occur while playing a song (not in the list of files to be tagged)

I have not experienced this problem in earlier versions.

I'm using windows XP and Mediamonkey 1.596.

Any help?
"
Lowlander

Bug report

Post by Lowlander »

Have you tried to create a bug report and send it, just like explained in the sticky post?
roylayer

Post by roylayer »

I had the same problem but figured out the solution.

This happened to me when I was tagging files on a disk with very low free disk space. The files I was tagging had no ID3 tags at all, so I suspect that MM has to write the tagged file to a temporary file, delete the original and rename the temporary to the original. There wasn't enough space to create the temporary. Unfortunately, MM was not smart enough to raise an error. Instead, it deleted the original file and renamed the incomplete temporary file to the original! Once I freed up some disk space, the problem went away. Admittedly, this is all a theory since I don't know what the source code is actually doing, but I've seen (and written) logic like that before (only without the errors!).

THIS IS A VERY SERIOUS PROBLEM, albeit one that probably doesn't happen very often. I hope that the developers can fix this one ASAP.
Peke

Post by Peke »

<Deleted> As it can make some missinterpreting, sorry for inconvinience
Last edited by Peke on Wed Mar 16, 2005 10:30 am, edited 2 times in total.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
roylayer

Post by roylayer »

However, the software could check to see if it has enough space for the operation ahead of time. Also, there could be some sort of error trap that the program could intercept, depending on the programming language and the methods being used.

I program for a living and "Sorry, can't fix that" would be an unacceptable answer if I had this problem.

Roy

P.S. I am a newly-registed Gold user, and overall I love this program. I hope that the programmers don't interpret my remarks as being down on them or the program. This is simply a bug report.
jiri

Post by jiri »

Roy, that was a really good point! I have just fixed a bug in ID3Lib (that MM uses for mp3 tagging), there was really a problem with tagging when there wasn't enough free space on the drive. The fix will be included in the next build.

Thanks,
Jiri
roylayer

Post by roylayer »

Thank you, kind sir! So, by fixing ID3Lib, I assume this will benefit ANY software app that uses it for tagging? Cool!

Fortunately, I was smart enough to have made backups before using a "new" piece of software to modify my sound files, so I was able to recover the damaged files, but this fix will prevent other people from losing their files.

Thanks for looking into (and fixing!) the problem.
Happy user of MediaMonkey Gold version 2.5.5.998
Computer: p4, 2.5 ghz, 3 gb ram, win xp
CDrUS

Post by CDrUS »

Peke wrote:This Is not MMs Problem, you better write Bill Gates.
I Hate that WIN problem as few years ago I have lost almost 10000 MP3s couse of it not in MM just regular DOS file Attribute changing. Win locks Access to drive as he dosn't have space for its use :(((((((((
This had better simply be a miscommunication due to a difference in language. If I EVER paid for a product and was treated with a statement like this from a product support person, I would notify management, all users on every forum I could find, and switch to a different product. This kind of a reply is very unacceptable. If you felt this was a Microsoft problem, you could certainly have worded the reply much better. But for this specific case, there are certainly many many known work arounds. It's not a problem limited to Microsoft products, but ever disk-based OS every written.
jiri

Post by jiri »

This is quite an old issue, but anyway: As I wrote, the bug was in Id3Lib and was fixed quite some time ago.

Jiri
CDrUS

Post by CDrUS »

jiri wrote:This is quite an old issue, but anyway: As I wrote, the bug was in Id3Lib and was fixed quite some time ago.

Jiri
Well maybe I better re-think my music player use, support, and endorsement (my blog is not entirely unknown and blog news stories have a way of spreading like wildfire) if this is the kind of attitude users get. This may be an "old" issue for you (actually, a 6-week old posting is not "that" old especially in a forum topic with such an urgent sounding title as in "files lost"). I read your posts in which the bug had been squashed, but that DOES NOT excuse the language of Peke's post I referred to and no amount of rationalization other than a language barrier can justify it. Your reply sounds like a typical 13 year-old saying, "duh, whatever" when caught smoking in the boys bathroom at school.
CDrUS

Post by CDrUS »

Okay, so it's a year and 6 weeks old (which would qualify as "old")... but still eye-catching to a new user or anyone researching a bug. And Peke's post will continue to be seen over and over again.[/b]
jiri

Post by jiri »

CDrUS,

yes, the issue is pretty old now, it was fixed at least two versions ago.

As for Peke's reply, I'm not responsible for this, he isn't an official part of MM development team (although he helped with some plug-ins). You can get many different points of view here in forums, but only posts written by me or Rusty can be taken as official statements.

If you study all the topics here, I think you must agree that we help our users as much as possible, we fix bugs, add most requested features, etc.

If you don't like the way forums work, you can contact us over e-mail. This is guaranteed for Gold users only, but we try to help anybody.

Jiri
Peke

Post by Peke »

CDrUS,
This had better simply be a miscommunication due to a difference in language.
You were right, I missinterpreted problem. and give fast untested answer.
At that time I was only User like you and as I lost almost 5 Years of collecting tagging and sorting of MP3s :cry: Also As a programmer at same time I encounterd on same problem in My app and come to that that Win Locked me from Low-Level Access to some files.

Also Jiri was right, regarding I'm helping in developing Mediamonkey Plugins only Jiris and Rustys statements are official statements.

I can't even say how I'm sorry that my Reply is missinterpreted wrong. I also changed my signiture so that can't be interpreted wrong.
Best regards,
Peke
roylayer

Post by roylayer »

Peke, as one of those you originally replied to, I did not take your response personally. I just wanted to make sure that someone knew that this was a serious problem that I felt could and should be corrected.

I know how much you help around here. Please don't be too upset over it.
Happy user of MediaMonkey Gold version 2.5.5.998
Computer: p4, 2.5 ghz, 3 gb ram, win xp
Peke

Post by Peke »

Roy,
I'm not upset, CDrUS was right.

At that time I was only user, now I have more responsibility to all of you as I need to support work I've done (Wav, Ape, Mpc, Flac tagging support) and hopefully some more.

And thanks for support.
Best regards,
Peke