"Analyze tracks for duplicates" after trk already

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

roylayer

"Analyze tracks for duplicates" after trk already

Post by roylayer »

How do I "Analyze tracks for duplicates" after a track is already in the library?

I decided that I want to use this feature AFTER I had already added a bunch of tracks to the library. When I re-add the tracks to the library, the SignPart1, 2, 3, and 4 fields in the database don't get updated like they do when I add a brand new track to the database. (I assume that those are the fields that keep track of the file signature.)

To further verify, I copied a file to a different name, scanned both files into the library (one was already in the library, the other was new), and checked the Duplicate Content node under Files to Edit. It did NOT list the files.

Is there any way to do this, short of deleting the existing library entries and re-adding them? (I have other information in the library that would be lost if I did that.) Thanks!
Happy user of MediaMonkey Gold version 2.5.5.998
Computer: p4, 2.5 ghz, 3 gb ram, win xp
jiri

Post by jiri »

I think that the whole problem is in the fact that track didn't really get rescanned. Make sure to check 'Update Track info from Tags when re-adding files' and uncheck 'Only for files with changed timestamp or size' in the Library options sheet. Then all tracks will be rescanned and the signature should be properly calculated.

Jiri
roylayer

Post by roylayer »

That worked. Thanks!

It was not obvious to me that the 'Update Track info from Tags when re-adding files' option actually controls whether or not the file gets rescanned. I guess I viewed the signature information as being a database entry, not a tag field (which is why I didn't selection the 'Update Track info..." option). Is it actually stored in the tag?
[/quote]
jiri

Post by jiri »

The wording of the option isn't exact in this case, but it's better to keep it this way, because it's usually related to tag fields. Signature is an exception that isn't stored in tags.

Jiri
roylayer

Post by roylayer »

Sure. That makes sense to me.