Auto Rating of Songs & Radio Announcer v5.02 [Script]

Download and get help for different MediaMonkey for Windows 4 Addons.

Moderators: Peke, Gurus

DiddeLeeDoo

Post by DiddeLeeDoo »

I'll try to spell out how this system is defined, based on the presentation of rating descriptions.

0 Stars = Bomb = A song that is there simply to make an Album complete. If you do not care to keep your albums complete, you would delete this song. However, when you have huge collections it can be hard to remember why a track is missing out of an album 2 years down the track.

Instead of having deleted tracks, you see it as a bomb, and you can play parts of it to hear why it is a bomb. (You may even like the song 4 years later ;) )

0.5 Stars = A song that is plain annoying. It sort of goes with the rest of the album maybe, but it hit some bad nerves in your system. It may however have qualities that make you not feel like deleting it, for now anyways.

1.0 Stars = A song you have skipped twise. It does not go with your current taste or feel for music.

1.5 Stars = A song that did't work today.. even if being first time you've heard it.

2.0 Stars = A song that never have been rated or played since getting this system. It is a balancing point for Good and Not So Good, and is basically the same as 'Unknown'

That is the current system for low rated songs, and is suitable for Album Collectors who have huge collections. If you're not an album collector, and have random songs from anywhere, I guess it could be worth while going down in ratings, but it is my understanding that you're an album collector too?

But you have a different view, so please define how you would like the 0 - 1.5 Stars defined.
Last edited by DiddeLeeDoo on Tue Jun 06, 2006 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rovingcowboy

Post by rovingcowboy »

well my view is simple.

it goes like this.

0 = new song

1 through 5 stars = song working its way up the charts by times played. but also can be working its way down.

i agree on the point of 2 stars being the turning point of the ratings.
i just do it with the negative star icon set i made. where the lower stars
change color to show its just started in the ratings or is on its way out.

the bomb star i replaced in the icons with a volcano image to show that it is either just erupting on to the charts or being buried by lava.

that is what i think of the stars and how i use them. 8) see very simple really the hard part is in the coding for the song to be given the best rating possible, which you know by all the ideas i sent you.

8)
roving cowboy / keith hall. My skins http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =9&t=16724 for some help check on Monkey's helpful messages at http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 4008#44008 MY SYSTEMS.1.Jukebox WinXp pro sp 3 version 3.5 gigabyte mb. 281 GHz amd athlon x2 240 built by me.) 2.WinXP pro sp3, vers 2.5.5 and vers 3.5 backup storage, shuttle 32a mb,734 MHz amd athlon put together by me.) 3.Dell demension, winxp pro sp3, mm3.5 spare jukebox.) 4.WinXp pro sp3, vers 3.5, dad's computer bought from computer store. )5. Samsung Galaxy A51 5G Android ) 6. amd a8-5600 apu 3.60ghz mm version 4 windows 7 pro bought from computer store.
DiddeLeeDoo

Post by DiddeLeeDoo »

Do you have songs in your collection that you do not like ?
rovingcowboy

Post by rovingcowboy »

nope i listen to them all.

if i don't like a song i don't put it in i am not trying to keep a historical collection of songs that is for the record companys to do.

i just want to listen and enjoy the songs i like so if an album is missing a song? oh well.

its that simple mind set again.

like = on computer

don't like = not on computer.

8)
roving cowboy / keith hall. My skins http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =9&t=16724 for some help check on Monkey's helpful messages at http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 4008#44008 MY SYSTEMS.1.Jukebox WinXp pro sp 3 version 3.5 gigabyte mb. 281 GHz amd athlon x2 240 built by me.) 2.WinXP pro sp3, vers 2.5.5 and vers 3.5 backup storage, shuttle 32a mb,734 MHz amd athlon put together by me.) 3.Dell demension, winxp pro sp3, mm3.5 spare jukebox.) 4.WinXp pro sp3, vers 3.5, dad's computer bought from computer store. )5. Samsung Galaxy A51 5G Android ) 6. amd a8-5600 apu 3.60ghz mm version 4 windows 7 pro bought from computer store.
DiddeLeeDoo

Post by DiddeLeeDoo »

Is that to save disk space maybe. In my case I'm very pleased with having all my albums available without having to stuff around with CDs, Covers, and all that. I dump a CD to the computer, and use MediaMonkey as my library, instead of relying on all that plastic in the shelfs to find why or what.

That is half the idea of having a library in my view.

To me it sounds to be more of a playlist system, than an actual library of music that you seek.

I've solved that with Auto-Playlists featuring minimum rating in order to be played. Low rated songs do not get played, but if I ever want to do discography work I have all the songs available, like if I should go to the physical CD collection.
Last edited by DiddeLeeDoo on Wed Jun 07, 2006 3:55 am, edited 3 times in total.
rovingcowboy

Post by rovingcowboy »

no not really i use to save disk space by putting the songs in the computer burning them on a cdrom in the play order i wanted.
then remove them from the computer.

but i got more hd's and just leave them in now and play them from the computer hd's.

i said no i did not have any in i don't like. but i can not be certian on that because i put in some new albums and have not heard them all yet. but i like the groups i put in so i might like all the songs but if not i'll take them out.

there are some songs i say i don't like. but then 3 days later i like that song? then 5 days later i am sick of it again and don't like it again?

but the song is good i just go by the moment and if that moment says don't like then i don't like and if it says like then i like.

now how did you know i am blond?

:roll: 8) :P
DiddeLeeDoo

Post by DiddeLeeDoo »

Thank you for bringing up this discussion. I hope it may help some others too in order to understand why things are how they are.

It also helps to understand where the desire for starting at 0 comes from, as a skip is as good as a delete practically. Or is it wrong of me to assume so?
rovingcowboy

Post by rovingcowboy »

well for the most part starting a song out at a rating of 2 stars.

to me is like giving it a handicap. since it was a new song.

with me there is no handicap that song has to earn its rating. :lol:
DiddeLeeDoo

Post by DiddeLeeDoo »

The basic theory of that is that it actually deserve 2 stars because you spend good money on the Album to get it in your collection. It gets a fair go so to speak. Plus allow for a skipping buffer.

Some of those ideas you shared for a good while ago are currently being processed in reports.
Dobe

Test

Post by Dobe »

Hi DiddeLeeDoo.

Testing this page. Have a nice day.

Dobe
DiddeLeeDoo

Post by DiddeLeeDoo »

Hi Dobe, glad you give it a go, and thank you.
DiddeLeeDoo

Post by DiddeLeeDoo »

Just a couple of things.

1. The HourGlass Cursor has been added to the AutoRate Catch-Up script.
This is a new function in the MediaMonkey scripting language, and you most likely would need the latest version of MediaMonkey to use it without errors.

2. For awhile ago I got a request for a code to Turn On / Off the AutoRateSongs script from other scripts. Here's one way, that will work in most scripts, and scripters will see that this can be trimmed down a bit. I choose to just give a general way here.

Code: Select all

' Turn AutoRateSongs OFF
If CreateObject("SongsDB.SDBApplication").Registry.OpenKey("Auto Rating", False) Then
   CreateObject("SongsDB.SDBApplication").Registry.BoolValue("os00")=False
   CreateObject("SongsDB.SDBApplication").Registry.CloseKey
End If

Code: Select all

' Turn AutoRateSongs ON
If CreateObject("SongsDB.SDBApplication").Registry.OpenKey("Auto Rating", False) Then
   CreateObject("SongsDB.SDBApplication").Registry.BoolValue("os00")=True
   CreateObject("SongsDB.SDBApplication").Registry.CloseKey
End If
These snips, will not do anything if the AutoRateSongs is not installed, due to the False value in the OpenKey line.
MoDementia

Post by MoDementia »

Doh! I could have used that a week ago :)

I put similar code into Trixmoto's Previewer and it works perfectly
Kit

Post by Kit »

Hi, I'm new here...and I have a very low knowledge about the scripting stuff and how this auto rating script works... so here is what my question is...

I set my settings for the auto rating to be

1 = Number of days to check for multi plays

2 Plays = 2.5 Stars
5 Plays = 3.0
10 plays = 3.5
15 plays = 4.0
20 plays = 4.5

so... I have this track that has already been played over 40 Times and it has a rating of 5 stars before I installed the auto -rate....Now I kept on skipping the song to the point where it went down to 3 stars.... I tried playing the song again to see if the stars would increase or not... NOthing happened...so I tried playing it like 5 times in a row and still nothing happened... Why isn't the star system increasing? or why isn't it doinganything??? so am I understanding something wrong in the rating system??? Also I don't know what that option for "Number of Days To Check for Multiplays" does... what effect does it have on the rating system?

Can someone please help me out... I would greatly appreciate it Thank YOU!
DiddeLeeDoo

Post by DiddeLeeDoo »

Hi Kit,

Number of days to check for multi plays means how many days from now and back the system should check for those multi plays.

If time is 4:00 PM now, the system counts how many times you have played this song since 4:00 PM yesterday.

In your example, this means:
1-2 Plays = 2.5 Stars
3-5 Plays = 3.0 Stars
6-10 plays = 3.5 Stars
11-15 plays = 4.0 Stars
16-20 plays = 4.5 Stars
21+ = 5.0 Stars

Another thing to be aware of is that you will not see the ratings being done before you leave the current song. It is designed like that to ensure that your playing song is not disturbed at all during playing.

Say if you have some songs not rated, or rated low, you'll see this in action in your 'Now Playing' list.

With the number of plays it takes for rating upgrades in your example, it maybe better to allow the system to check of a week, like 7 days maybe.

At any time you can rate a song manually higher than this 'background rating check' system is set for. If you happen to hear a song that you really like, but do not want to listen to 21 times in a row, you can just give it 5 Stars yourself. The system is there to push up ratings if the playcount say that it deserves better ratings than it currently have.