Want MediaMonkey to display folder.jpg art

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

Powerpill

Want MediaMonkey to display folder.jpg art

Post by Powerpill »

Hi

I am struggling to find a solution to this one!

All of my MP3s are stored in separate folders by album.

Each folder contains the front cover (folder.jpg) between 150x150 and 500x500 in size. There is no artwork embedded into the MP3s at all.

I can't find a way to get MediaMonkey to display the album art without pointing it manually to the file.

If the only solution is to embed the MP3s with the album art, does anyone know of a program which can do this automatically for me, as it would take me an awful long time to do it manually.

Any help very much appreciated.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Check Tools > Options > Library and see if the scanning for album art option is selected. If it is selected album art should be added automatically when you add/rescan tracks. Try Add/Rescanning your whole library to see if MediaMonkey adds the album art.

MediaMonkey supports both external as well as embedded album art.

Post by Guest »

Thanks, I have now isolated the problem but it has given me another one to deal with.

When looking at Windows Media Player 11 Beta, I allowed it access to my MP3 library and it has maked all my "folder.jpg" files as hidden!

Although when I 'show hidden files' in Windows Explorer I can see all my hidden "folder.jpg" files, the 'hidden' checkbox in properties is grayed out meaning I can't 'unhide' these files.

Media Monkey can't show pictures which have been given this attribute, which is why it is not recognising them.

Any ideas?
Randall_Lind

Post by Randall_Lind »

Media Player 11 is not ready for prime time. It replace most of my folder.jpg/cover art with blank cd covers. Really ticked me off. happy since I removed it from my pc.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

You might want to go in WMP 11's options to see if you can fix this. You might get lucky with some power file management software or by searching Google for an answer.
trixmoto

Post by trixmoto »

You can run a simple line in Command Prompt to unhide all .jpg files in all subfolders of a directory - but I can't remember what it is. It's been posting in the forum before though, by Steegy if I remember correctly.
Download my scripts at my own MediaMonkey fansite.
All the code for my website and scripts is safely backed up immediately and for free using Dropbox.
Randall_Lind

Post by Randall_Lind »

Here you go:

You can try this command to unhide all your folder.jpg pics.

Open a DOS Command prompt
Change directories to the root folder that your music is in..

d:
cd \my music
attrib -r -s -h *.* /S

Got this from Google
Anonymous019213

Folder.jpg art is invisible to MediaMonkey.

Post by Anonymous019213 »

Hidden or visible (in explorer), any album art which is titled Folder.jpg is INVISIBLE to media monkey. This is a REAL PAIN, as many of us keep album covers under this title.

YES, the option to scan album folder for cover art is checked, however, it is still not detected. YES i cleared and rescanned my library after checking the option. Still no cover art.

PLEASE scan for Folder.jpg images and assume they are the FRONT COVER.

Thank you.
onkel_enno

Re: Folder.jpg art is invisible to MediaMonkey.

Post by onkel_enno »

Anonymous019213 wrote:Hidden or visible (in explorer), any album art which is titled Folder.jpg is INVISIBLE to media monkey.
My MediaMonkey does it :P
trixmoto

Post by trixmoto »

Have you tried my Album Art Tagger script?
Download my scripts at my own MediaMonkey fansite.
All the code for my website and scripts is safely backed up immediately and for free using Dropbox.
tojomo

Post by tojomo »

This is simple once you know how to do it and have the programs to fix it. The above dos script worked for me (I am using vista home premium). However I can't say if Media Monkey is reading the folder.jpg because I have also saved them as %album%.jpg and I have also embedded them into every mp3. I like redundancy. I run 4 mp3 players and each uses a diff set of tags and album art methods and I don't trust Windows Media Player to handle my album art on its own so I like having a %album%.jpg backup.

Assuming you have all your album art saved as .jpgs (either folder.jpg or %album%.jpg) You can use these instructions to either embed your art or to copy the jpg name to the other style (folder.jpg to %album%.jpg or visa versa). If you start from step 5 you can see how to copy embedded tags to either name jpg as well.

*Remember*
Always back up your music before you ever do anything that effects ALL of your music. You don't want to have to start from scratch. Even I backed up ALL my music before I started. In fact I backed up my entire users dir. I have had a hack or virus that wiped out all avi's and image files so when I found an old back up of all my high school art I was so releaved. Trust me if something happens to your data, its your fault if you didn't back up.

1. So here is what u need. Mp3tag. I have version 2.39.
2. Change directory to your music dir (or the album directory you want to change) You can do your whole dir if you use the same system (folder.jpg or embedded or %album%.jpg).
3. Now Select the Actions(quick) icon (or shift-alt-5).
4. In the drop down select import cover from file. Yes you must do this step even if you don't want embedded art.
4a. You put the naming convention you currently use here (aka folder.jpg or %album%.jpg or u can use other strings -the things inside the %example%- bu I don't know them all)
4b. Select delete existing cover art if you only use one art per mp3 (best results) or you can leave it unchecked and it will just add the art in addition to whatever is already there (not as good results)
4c. Click OK

At this point your music is embedded if that was your goal congats. If your goal was to have folder.jpg saved as %album%.jpg, then read on.

5. Reselect all your music and again do a Actions(quick) (just like step 3) except this time select export cover from file from the drop down.
6. Input the naming convention you would like to have. You can use strings if you want every album to have a jpg with the albums name type "%album%" or if you want every album having a folder.jpg then type "folder". You dont type the ".jpg" into this one... it assumes that. If you type it it will end up being ".jpg.jpg".

Now you are done. If for some reason you don't want embedded art, I am sure there is a way to mass delete it. I have never done it. So you can research that yourself.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Right click on a song, select properties and then the Album Art tab. All your versions of the album art should be listed there.

MediaMonkey automatically read album art when using Add/Rescan Tracks or the filemonitor (if set to do so in the options). The Batch Album Art script can do a lot more if needed.