Best value for legal music downloads you get to keep?

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

Steegy

Post by Steegy »

Allthough the legality of allofmp3.com is discussed ...
AllOfMp3 is legal, there's no doubt about that.
The real question is: "is it legal for me (you) to use it?"
You can anly legally use AllOfMp3 if your own country's law permits you to do that, or if the law just doesn't mention any restrictions about that. Countries that usually have no decent laws and can copy ideas from others are Russia, China, and probably some other (so only in these type of countries, it's legal).
Extensions: ExternalTools, ExtractFields, SongPreviewer, LinkedTracks, CleanImport, and some other scripts (Need Help with Addons > List of All Scripts).
Trixie.in.Dixie

Post by Trixie.in.Dixie »

I agree that www.emusic.com is a fantastic resource for legal but inexpensive downloads. I have been a member for 3 years, and have barely scratched the surface of the tons and tons of electronic music they add daily. If you are a fan of any variation of electronic music you should check it out - and it's not just indies you have never heard of either - there are plenty of well-known artists too. I don't know how other subscription services do it, but with emusic you have a profile with a list of everything you have ever downloaded so that you can go back and re-download anything you have previously downloaded, just in case you accidentally delete it from your hard drive.

Another great resource for electronic tracks is www.download.com. They have every genre of music, but the commercial tracks for mainstream pop and rock type stuff are often for streaming only, not just for downloading. With electronic music, the possibilities are wide open - you can listen to the compositions of people from all over the world, many of whom are just regular joes who create some of the most amazing music I've ever heard.

There tends to be a lot of free electronic stuff to be had, usually on the websites of the people writing it. It's not so hard to find if you google around.
Mthrsuperior

Post by Mthrsuperior »

Actually allofmp3 is not legal in North America (unless the music is public domain etc)
Starting in 2007 you will no longer be able to use Visa or Mastercard for their services from *any* country.

Frankly I couldn't give a mouse's bum if it's legal or not.
The point is whether or not the artists receive compensation which they do not from allofmp3.

Although taking this further, I'd like nothing more than to see music publishing die right along with the soon to be dead major labels.
With this would come the death of studio bound commercial hacks as the only way to make money as a musician would be from public performance.

Besides - I have to sell 800 of my CDs through Universal music to see the same profit I'd get from selling *15* CD's myself (at a gig for example).

Please boycott RIAA
leafinator

Post by leafinator »

Mthrsuperior wrote:Starting in 2007 you will no longer be able to use Visa or Mastercard for their services from *any* country.
Just curious, where did you hear this? Right now I use allofmp3 with my Mastercard (Visa isn't an option) and they seem to be accepting payments without a problem.
alanl

Post by alanl »

leafinator

Post by leafinator »

I read that link and googled allofmp3 and mastercard and read how they've stopped accepting payments and yet I've still used Mastercard on the actual allofmp3 site as recently as yesterday with no problems at all.
Mthrsuperior

Post by Mthrsuperior »

I'd be curious to know how long you are able to do so.

Each bank has different policies I'm not really sure how much "authority" mastercard/visa have as a "franchise"
I just tried for the heck of it and my Mastercard won't approve.
leafinator

Post by leafinator »

I wonder if that's why allofmp3 is having a "sale" by adding 20% onto each prepay?
Teknojnky

Post by Teknojnky »

They do that around holidays and stuff.

You also get a % bonus depending on how much you've spent total over time.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

The whole credit card thing is probably run through some construction of different companies. The Russian authorities have said that AllofMP3 will be closed down and the company is fighting to survive at this point.

It's fairly safe to say that if the RIAA says it's illegal that it probably is illegal in the USA. The same goes for most countries where their respective rights organizations say that it's illegal.

The problem with DRM free shops is the lack of mainstream music in most cases. This is due to the labels not selling non-DRM music. The problem with DRM shops is the lack of quality of the songs and the limitations DRM put on the song (hardware/software needs to support it).

So AllofMP3 sounds good after all, but I would be careful in the way you do business with them so that you can't be ripped off.
Mthrsuperior

Post by Mthrsuperior »

Lowlander wrote:T

It's fairly safe to say that if the RIAA says it's illegal that it probably is illegal in the USA.
That's the first time you've ever said anything I disagree with and I disagree so much I'm sweating.
:lol:

The RIAA operates almost exclusively outside the law.
I'll spare you any further ranting but you can find links on last.fm page by clicking my sig.
pah68

Post by pah68 »

You don't have a signature
paulmt

Post by paulmt »

Yes he does? The last.FM sig at the bottom of his post :o
Mthrsuperior

Post by Mthrsuperior »

Don't hate me because I'm clever.

:P
paulmt

Post by paulmt »