drm???

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

precisionmike

drm???

Post by precisionmike »

O.K.-This program looks great. The only info I cant find is concerning DRMs. Iam trying to convert my Bearshare files (that I paid for) from wma to mp3 and most importantly, strip the drm. Will Media Monkey do this? Thanks in advance for your time. P.S.- From what I have also read this program works better than itune to import to my ipod???
Teknojnky

Post by Teknojnky »

No MM does not strip DRM and it can't play protected itunes files (wma maybe, I dont know as I don't buy DRM protected content).
Steegy

Post by Steegy »

The golden rule is: don't download DRM-protected files.

You might find some useful posts here on the forum (using "search"), with links to programs to strip DRM from your files.

This might be useful: http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 4083#34083

For the newer iTunes 6 and 7 files, you'll need myFairTunes6 or QTFairUse.

Cheers
Steegy
Extensions: ExternalTools, ExtractFields, SongPreviewer, LinkedTracks, CleanImport, and some other scripts (Need Help with Addons > List of All Scripts).
jungelmonkey

Post by jungelmonkey »

simplest way is to
convert the songs to wav files.

open the wav in a wav editor turn the vol up a little in the file. save the wav, don't save as, just click save.

do that for all the wav files.
then convert them to mp3 or ogg or flac what ever you want because once you adjust something in the file while it is a wav all drm is gone,

and it is now your file it won't be the same as online.
if it is wma that can be a good thing because most wma's are,
compressed way to small at them online stores and that messes with the sound.

most the sounds get messed up by the poorly done online store wma's are in the genera's of disco , rap, and anyother genera that has the same type of wild beat going on in the background while the singer is trying to sing.

but thats aready posted in the forum in my other messages.

roving cowboy / keith hall.
8)
Steegy

Post by Steegy »

RC, that's way too much work, plus you lose sound quality (quality will never improve by converting). Afaik you can't even convert DRM-protected files (otherwise it would be easy wouldn't it?).
The golden rule is: don't download DRM-protected files.

You might find some useful posts here on the forum (using "search"), with links to programs to strip DRM from your files.

This might be useful: http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 4083#34083

For the newer iTunes 6 and 7 files, you'll need myFairTunes6 or QTFairUse.
Extensions: ExternalTools, ExtractFields, SongPreviewer, LinkedTracks, CleanImport, and some other scripts (Need Help with Addons > List of All Scripts).
junglemonkey

Post by junglemonkey »

yep its a lot of work,
the sound is not that bad after one time of doing that.

and it is not advised to do for trading or passing songs to some one else
it is needed to know to beable to get your songs working again if the lic, for it is messed up in a crash.

that way you could have your back up copy and not need to get the lic a second time.. 8)
citizenkeith

Post by citizenkeith »

junglemonkey wrote:the sound is not that bad after one time of doing that.
Can't agree with that. Re-encoding increases compression artifacts. Listen to the cymbals... yuck! :D
rovingcowboy

Post by rovingcowboy »

well i did say to use a wav editor on it after you convert it.
you can clear up them things if they show up while in there.

my favorite way is to add one echo at 3 or 4 million millseconds of echo at
30% of the volume to the whole song. any of the messed up sound
then can be removed when compressed and still get fair sound out
of it. cause the echo that is added in causes there to be more bits
for the compression to work with.

and 3 to 4 million milly seconds is not to much to cause a warbel in the singers voice.

i think it is million milly seconds the wav editor uses? this is what the help in the wav editor i have says.

• Add a delayed copy of the selection to itself.

Number of Echo (1-10) Number of delayed copies of the selection.
    Delay of Echo (0.1ms-1ms) Delay time, in milliseconds, of each echo.
    Amplitude (1%-100%) Amplitude(volume) of the copied echo.
roving cowboy / keith hall. My skins http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =9&t=16724 for some help check on Monkey's helpful messages at http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 4008#44008 MY SYSTEMS.1.Jukebox WinXp pro sp 3 version 3.5 gigabyte mb. 281 GHz amd athlon x2 240 built by me.) 2.WinXP pro sp3, vers 2.5.5 and vers 3.5 backup storage, shuttle 32a mb,734 MHz amd athlon put together by me.) 3.Dell demension, winxp pro sp3, mm3.5 spare jukebox.) 4.WinXp pro sp3, vers 3.5, dad's computer bought from computer store. )5. Samsung Galaxy A51 5G Android ) 6. amd a8-5600 apu 3.60ghz mm version 4 windows 7 pro bought from computer store.
vwaldoguy

Post by vwaldoguy »

There are programs out there that will do what the previous poster is talking about automatically. The programs will record the sound output through the sound card, then convert back to MP3 and auto tag it. Yes, this isn't the pure sound that you'd get straight from a CD, but good enough for non audiophiles. For the purists, it probably sucks, but is fine for the average Joe. The only trouble, you actually have to play the DRM songs for this to work. And, this would be for your own purpose, not for sharing.
Steegy

Post by Steegy »

Why doing difficult if you can just strip the drm protection ?!
rovingcowboy

Post by rovingcowboy »

becuse there is less of a chance of the hard way messing up when there is a chance the stripprogram might make a mistake and mess up the song file.

never trust too much in tech so i don't :D
roving cowboy / keith hall. My skins http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =9&t=16724 for some help check on Monkey's helpful messages at http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 4008#44008 MY SYSTEMS.1.Jukebox WinXp pro sp 3 version 3.5 gigabyte mb. 281 GHz amd athlon x2 240 built by me.) 2.WinXP pro sp3, vers 2.5.5 and vers 3.5 backup storage, shuttle 32a mb,734 MHz amd athlon put together by me.) 3.Dell demension, winxp pro sp3, mm3.5 spare jukebox.) 4.WinXp pro sp3, vers 3.5, dad's computer bought from computer store. )5. Samsung Galaxy A51 5G Android ) 6. amd a8-5600 apu 3.60ghz mm version 4 windows 7 pro bought from computer store.
pah68

Post by pah68 »

rovingcowboy wrote:becuse there is less of a chance of the hard way messing up when there is a chance the stripprogram might make a mistake and mess up the song file.

never trust too much in tech so i don't :D
Wouldn't you be working on a duplicate file instead of the original??
rovingcowboy

Post by rovingcowboy »

you could but i just edit the orginal if i mess it up i don't save it.
i close the editor and reopen the wav and start again. 8)
R J

Post by R J »

Good ole' Google points us all in the right direction:

Click here: drm wma
pheare

Post by pheare »

as long as you have the license to play the drm file, Tunebite can be your best friend......