MM3 - 2680 Fixed playcount algorithm

Any ideas about how to improve MediaMonkey for Windows 4? Let us know!

Moderator: Gurus

Tylast

MM3 - 2680 Fixed playcount algorithm

Post by Tylast »

2680 Fixed playcount algorithm should only mark tracks as played when fully played

I didn't think this was a bug. I actually liked the fact that after 50% or so of the song played would advance the play count. Is there anyway to make this a user preference?
DaledeSilva

Post by DaledeSilva »

I agree whole heartily... quite often I'll listen to a track and like it so much that just before it ends I'll click back and listen to it again...

it should definitely be after a percentage of the song that it registers like you mentioned.

Dale.
Product Designer & Indie Developer.
Building at the intersection of motion, art, and code.
Find me on twitter and all the other ones here.
mjs93

Post by mjs93 »

Yes, I would also really like this back.

So glad MM3 alpha is out, btw. :)
Miki

Post by Miki »

I found this trouble also, specially now podcasts are supported, if i skip through a podcast quickly, to the end, then its playcount isnt set to one, so it doesnt get deleted.
This feature i think would be best if user-configurable.
rovingcowboy

Post by rovingcowboy »

there was a way in diddeleedoos autorating script to adjust the playcount for the script to let you set the time to skip the song or not.

whether or not it does the same for the normal play count or even if
the script still works in the mm3 alpha i don't know. :(
roving cowboy / keith hall. My skins http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =9&t=16724 for some help check on Monkey's helpful messages at http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 4008#44008 MY SYSTEMS.1.Jukebox WinXp pro sp 3 version 3.5 gigabyte mb. 281 GHz amd athlon x2 240 built by me.) 2.WinXP pro sp3, vers 2.5.5 and vers 3.5 backup storage, shuttle 32a mb,734 MHz amd athlon put together by me.) 3.Dell demension, winxp pro sp3, mm3.5 spare jukebox.) 4.WinXp pro sp3, vers 3.5, dad's computer bought from computer store. )5. Samsung Galaxy A51 5G Android ) 6. amd a8-5600 apu 3.60ghz mm version 4 windows 7 pro bought from computer store.
Bex

Post by Bex »

Jiri!

What do you say about my suggestion regarding all this?
Advanced Duplicate Find & Fix Find More From Same - Custom Search. | Transfer PlayStat & Copy-Paste Tags/AlbumArt between any tracks.
Tagging Inconsistencies Do you think you have your tags in order? Think again...
Play History & Stats Node Like having your Last-FM account stored locally, but more advanced.
Case & Leading Zero Fixer Works on filenames too!

All My Scripts
pah68

Post by pah68 »

mjs93 wrote:Yes, I would also really like this back.

So glad MM3 alpha is out, btw. :)
Ditto
tommae88

Post by tommae88 »

yeah, 50% is much better than 100%, in fact, if anything, make it less than 50%. I'm one of the guys that can barely listen to a song straight through so my playcounts arent really representative of my listening habits all of the time.
Peke

Post by Peke »

@Bex
Jiri will not be reachable for some time, aprox. two weeks.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
Bex

Post by Bex »

Thanks for the info Peke!
Advanced Duplicate Find & Fix Find More From Same - Custom Search. | Transfer PlayStat & Copy-Paste Tags/AlbumArt between any tracks.
Tagging Inconsistencies Do you think you have your tags in order? Think again...
Play History & Stats Node Like having your Last-FM account stored locally, but more advanced.
Case & Leading Zero Fixer Works on filenames too!

All My Scripts
chrisjj

Post by chrisjj »

Miki wrote:if i skip through a podcast quickly, to the end, then its playcount isnt set to one
Hmm... but in such a case can one really say what fixed %age of play should mean "played" for any length of track?

Would we like an email program to mark any message read upon x% of it being seen??! ;)
Chris
DaledeSilva

Post by DaledeSilva »

alot of email programs do do that... well.. not percentage.. but definitely a certain time.

why not just add a slider in options which lets you set a percentage.

Dale.
tooscaredtotry

Post by tooscaredtotry »

this is also a bad thing because there are plenty of tracks with 15 minutes of silence at the end of them.. How would these ever be marked played?
chrisjj

Post by chrisjj »

> well.. not percentage.. but definitely a certain time.

A time having no regard to the time it takes to read the particular message! ;)

> why not just add a slider in options which lets you set a percentage.

Because of the cases for which no value of x% suffices - Miki's podcasts etc.

Anyway, does it make any sense for played#++ to depend on the amount of a track you /don't/ listen to?

Personally I think the email analogy is sound - either the user must mark manually, or the program must detect by telepathy! ;)
Chris
DaledeSilva

Post by DaledeSilva »

you raise a good point about the podcast... I think any genre which is bookmarkable should not be marked as played until it is %100 complete... though considering the note about things with long silences at the end.. I don't see why 90% shouldn't suffice (provided the sound file is over a certain length)
A time having no regard to the time it takes to read the particular message! ;)
you're right.. the comparison is no good.. because while it's called read, the important thing in email is that you know it came and is there... so they can get away with it.

because of alot of songs have long silences (or even hidden tracks at the end of the file), waiting for 100% of the file will cause many files to be missed... but making it 1% of the file will cause WAY too many files to be added..

I would recommend 70/80% for normal tracks and 90/95% for bookmarkable tracks... with consideration for the length of the track (eg, if the track is less than 15 seconds, it MUST play 100% to be marked as played)

Dale.