Howto: MediaMonkey on Linux / Wine

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

Scorpion

THANK YOU

Post by Scorpion »

I will give my soul for the guy that run mm on linux ... this is what i want for years ... please ... someone have to do this ... !!! KEEP TRYING GUYS ...
BigL

Re: THANK YOU

Post by BigL »

Scorpion wrote:I will give my soul for the guy that run mm on linux ... this is what i want for years ... please ... someone have to do this ... !!! KEEP TRYING GUYS ...
Now there's a desperate monkey... :lol:

But I do agree... I think MM is one of the best things happened to Windows, and it sure should happen on Linux
TeaDrinkinMan

Post by TeaDrinkinMan »

jiri wrote:For anybody trying this: MM 3.0 won't be dependant on ODBC and MDAC and so you might possibly wait and see whether it will be easier to run MM on Linux then.

Jiri
Well, these good news gave me the kick to order my lifetime license for gold :lol:
Chrisboo

Post by Chrisboo »

Ok MM3 is released! Since I'm have currently very little time I just gave it a quick try to make it running via wine. Installation went well, but then freezes at the splash screen when starting.

Has anybody succeded allready? If so please tell us how!

Bye Christian
tarasis

Post by tarasis »

I am going to be trying this out fairly soon, just trying to get my system re-organized.
DontPanic

Post by DontPanic »

I tried running this under WINE today and while it installed fine, when I went to start it up there was a 'player error' that popped up, which i clicked okay through and then the program opened up (very slowly). From that point, I tried to add music and that failed (it saw the folder and what not, just didn't add it to the library for whatever reason). Also, it didn't recognize my mp3 player at all (I wasn't sure if it was possible for it to under WINE or not to begin with).

So although it works better then MM2 (it at least boots up), it still doesn't work. A linux version of MM would be straight up amazing.
DontPanic

Post by DontPanic »

So MediaMonkey under WINE seems to be a lost cause, but MediaMonkey under a virtual windows installation (specifically, VMWare Server + a copy of some Windows installation) does work. Its not really 'too much work' or anything (well setting it up may be, but using it is pretty simple)... The only downside (as in I haven't fixed it yet) is if you have an MTP device that isn't working under linux (I have yet to be able to get mine to be recognized) then it won't work under virtual windows either... that was the MAIN reason I wanted to run MediaMonkey via WINE or VM and it didn't work out, but I will look into fixing that.

So for people who use linux and really want MM, here is a howto to get it to work (its for ubuntu, but it should be basically the same for most linux installations):
http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread. ... are+Server

This may tide people over while we continue to cross our fingers for a linux version - I will certainly throw my money into a new (and lifetime) license if Virtual windows MM will let me sync my player or (even better) if a linux version comes out.
Morfeus

Beta 3.0 is running fine with Crossover

Post by Morfeus »

Hi,

just wanted to let you know, that I have Media Monkey latest alpha version (3.x) running unter Ubuntu Feisty Fawn and Crossover. Almost everything is running nicely and fast. I'll post a HowTo tomorrow...

Morfeus
Morfeus

Post by Morfeus »

As promised yesterday, here is a short HowTo:

- install Crossover Linux Standard (Trial) from codeweavers.com
- download MM latest alpha version from this thread: http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=15384
- install it using Crossover to a Windows 2000 bottle (you'll see that option if you try to install it, do NOT use a Win98 bottle)
- DO NOT try to start MM now
- install IE6 to that same bottle (from the Crossover Standart applications)
- install Windows Mediaplayer 6.4 from the Crossover Standart applications to the same bottle
- install Winamp 2.95 from oldversion.com: http://www.oldversion.com/program.php?n=winamp to the same bottle
- run Winamp and disable all windows except the player
- disable update lookup in Winamp
- disable anything in Winamp that has nothing to do with plain playing of music
- now start MM, it should show the splash and start up normally
- go to settings and configure the above downloaded and installed Winamp as player
- close MM
- close Winamp
- restart MM

For me - as you can see from the screenshot above - MM runs almost perfectly, even auto tagging from Amazon, Podcasts, internetradio and Gold registration worked.

Not working: reading audio cd's

When starting up MM an error message complaing about the player configuration appears, just click "OK", it works (at least here).

Enjoy,
Morfeus
Steegy

Post by Steegy »

Does MediaMonkey's internal player work?
Extensions: ExternalTools, ExtractFields, SongPreviewer, LinkedTracks, CleanImport, and some other scripts (Need Help with Addons > List of All Scripts).

Post by Guest »

Steegy wrote:Does MediaMonkey's internal player work?
no. Therefore the Winamp installation.

But: I just tested all that last night. I will try to get the internal player working and also the audio cd.

Best,
Morfeus
Peke

Post by Peke »

Any debug info on why internal player do not work would be appreciated, especially that I do not see big reason for not working. Try delete out_MMDS.dll or replace it with combination of IN/out plugins from winamp.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
Morfeus

Post by Morfeus »

Peke wrote:Any debug info on why internal player do not work would be appreciated, especially that I do not see big reason for not working. Try delete out_MMDS.dll or replace it with combination of IN/out plugins from winamp.
Hi Peke,

when I replace the in/out dll's with the ones from Winamp I get the internal player working but only for a few seconds. The MM crashes.

Morfeus
Peke

Post by Peke »

Collect all info you can get, it would be great if all of you can figure this out (I do not have Linux installed). I will certainly help as much as possible.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
Darthbith

Post by Darthbith »

Bump.
Has anyone else got this working? Is there a free alternative to crossover? I'd rather keep my MM for longer than 30 days :-D

Thanks!
darthbith