Create playlist from tracks already on iPOD?

Get answers about syncing MediaMonkey 4 with iPods and other devices.

Moderator: Gurus

Midnight Blue

Create playlist from tracks already on iPOD?

Post by Midnight Blue »

Guys,

I'm begging for some help here. I loaded a 2500+ track playlist on my iPOD using MM and had auto convert the bit rate down to 192K VBR. Converting and copying all those tracks took over 24 hours. For whatever reason, MM did NOT copy the playlist to the iPOD after it was done with convert/copy process. I need to be able to build an iPOD playlist from those files.

Is there any way to build a playlist from files on the iPOD already so that when you sync (or something) the end result is just a playlist being created on the iPOD?

I know I've created several posts on this topic, but I am getting desperate and trying different things. I'm really struggling with this.
lowfi

Post by lowfi »

This is what I want to know! Why is it so difficult to get an answer about how to do such a basic function!

If you create a playlist on the Ipod, you can't rename it with Media Monkey.
If you create a playlist on your computer and then sych it, I think MM duplicates the songs on the Ipod.

So how do you make a playlist on the Ipod?
lowfi

Post by lowfi »

Use Winamp. It does exactly what you want. You can work with your Ipod database, no transfering and no duplicating. It's perfect!
jiri

Post by jiri »

MM is mostly oriented toward perfectly working auto-synchronization, some details about manual working with devices, like such a playlist creation or modification directly on device was probably left a little unattended. We'll review it for MM 3.0 and improve this.

Jiri
lowfi

Post by lowfi »

Thanks for the feedback jiri.
I think Winamp is a good model to use for how the program should be able to manually synch without duplicating, and for how to create playlists directly on the Ipod (or other device).
Since I'm a Gold member, I'm looking forward to see how MM evolves in this area!
CoolHandZeke

Has this been corrected?

Post by CoolHandZeke »

I am having the SAME EXACT problem with MediaMonkey. I am currently using MM Version 3.0.2.1134 and am a Gold member.

For the life of me, I can't figure out how to create multiple playlists for the iPod WITHOUT duplicating the songs!!! Extremely frustrating.

And I thought that if I were to simply put all the songs on the iPod using MM, that I could simply click on the iPod (while in MM) and add new playlists RIGHT THERE. But MM doesn't allow that option.

Simply put, how can I create multiple playlists in MM intended for the iPod, but do NOT duplicate the songs that pop up in different playlists??? Doest that make sense?

Please help. :(
Kevinino

Post by Kevinino »

Look's like there's been no progress on this.

It would be cool when it's implemented to have an option to automaticaly create a playlist on the ipod from Now Playing so you could sync then continue on the ipod from where you left off on your pc.
Sumerah

Post by Sumerah »

*bump*

I need this too. Can't create a playlist to use as an ipod-alarm :(
soapynebula

Use Floola

Post by soapynebula »

I suggest trying Floola

http://www.floola.com/

It allows you to customise playlists, repair the database and more from a standalone program, which runs directly off your ipod.

MM handling of iPods isn't amazing yet, though nor is WinAMP to be honest.

Then again, even iTunes can't do much with them, to the extent that i'd say MM has more in the way of customising how the sync is done than iTunes does..!

Hope floola helps...
Get MediaMonkey Gold, I dare you!
MiChO

Re: Create playlist from tracks already on iPOD?

Post by MiChO »

Thank you... I've lost all my data... :evil:
ANON

Post by ANON »

Is there any progress on this feature? It's really needed!

Such basic functionality should be default - there is no other proper way to organize music but using playlists!
anon

Post by anon »

I see that MMs lack of ipod playlist functionality has been a known issue since March of 2007. It is now January of 2009, and still no progress? That is just unbelievable to me. A friend of mine has been trying to tell me how great MM is, and I have been trying it for a few days; finding some pretty nice features. But if I cannot make (and manage) a basic playlist on my ipod, that is a HUGE dealbreaker for me. If I can't get something figured out, I guess I will probably have to go back to using Winamp (which does an excellent job with ipods, by the way).
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

anon wrote:I see that MMs lack of ipod playlist functionality has been a known issue since March of 2007. It is now January of 2009, and still no progress? That is just unbelievable to me. A friend of mine has been trying to tell me how great MM is, and I have been trying it for a few days; finding some pretty nice features. But if I cannot make (and manage) a basic playlist on my ipod, that is a HUGE dealbreaker for me. If I can't get something figured out, I guess I will probably have to go back to using Winamp (which does an excellent job with ipods, by the way).
I don't see why its so necessary to be able to manage iPod playlists directly on the iPod when you can just manage the playlist on the computer and then have it copied to the iPod and overwrite the old playlist.
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
Rednroll

Post by Rednroll »

Hmmmmm???? and here all this time, I was going crazy trying to figure out how to do this in MM and I finally did a Google search and it brought me to this thread. This is very disappointing. I guess, MM just became a tool that I use to Edit my ID3 tag information. Creating playlists that can be played from the iPod when it's disconnected from your PC is a must have feature for me.

I found a nice little free program called Sharepod, which pretty much does what I'm looking for, but it's GUI is a little cumbersome when you're working with a lot of songs and trying to edit the playlist......but it works pretty easily other than that. I wish MM had this type of functionality. I haven't been able to figure out, how to create a playlist in MM and then export it to the iPod so that I can use it directly in the iPod. I bought an iPod so I could travel with my music....I don't need a playlist in MM that will play songs from my iPod when my iPod is connected to my PC.
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

Rednroll wrote:....I don't need a playlist in MM that will play songs from my iPod when my iPod is connected to my PC.
Huh? That's not what I'm saying at all. You manage your music library on a computer, including playlists. You then copy these playlists (and the accompanying music files) to the iPod, so that you have your library on the iPod and can listen to it from there.
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.