Converting Bitrate Type

This forum is for reporting bugs in MediaMonkey for Windows 4. Note that version 4 is no longer actively maintained as it has been replaced by version 5.

Moderator: Gurus

Insomniac

Converting Bitrate Type

Post by Insomniac »

I was going through one of my albums (HIM - And Love Said No) and noticed that the bitrates for all the songs were different, and all around 210-230kbps (MP3). I thought I would just go ahead and edit them all out to 192kbps (MP3).

I made them out to 192, VBR and checked the "Level Volume" box as well. It asked me if I wanted to replace the files it was converting, I said "Yes to All".

Right now it's going through and analyzing every song it does, but each song it finishes, it says it the file was not created. Though when I click "OK", it shows the volume was analyzed correctly, but the bitrate stays the same as before.

Am I doing something wrong here?
rusty

converting track in-place

Post by rusty »

You're not doing anything wrong--it's a bug. To work around it, you should use a different filename and then delete the original track.

-Rusty
Insomniac

Post by Insomniac »

OK, well I tried doing it with a different filename as well, but this time, the bitrates don't come out to what I set them. They still come out all mixed around, except lower. :cry:
Peke

Post by Peke »

VBR is for Variable Bit Rate which means that encoder will calculate apropriate BitRate for each Stream Data and that set value Will be the ~average.

If you wanna set MP3 to 192Kbps Use 192Kbps and CBR (Constant Bit Rate) I'll Preffer useing of VBR but ....
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
pah68

Post by pah68 »

What's the benefit of using VBR over CBR? I guess it creates a smaller file more often than not but is it fully supported through most portable players.

ie. what's the downside of VBR?
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Not all players and software support it, but it is certainly smaller than CBR. CBR remains the safe bet if you work with different devices, but if you only play on your machine with MM, VBR can save you some room.
pah68

Post by pah68 »

Cheers :wink: