LastFm Scrobblers new quilt that I made and am testing

Discussion about anything that might be of interest to MediaMonkey users.

Moderator: Gurus

Plazma

LastFm Scrobblers new quilt that I made and am testing

Post by Plazma »

I still dont have a website yet - but you can go check it out b/c i uploaded it to widgetbox.

http://www.widgipedia.com/widgets-thumb ... 0__376.gif

My website is only a university page - http://individual.utoronto.ca/incerto/

but you can get the widget to post on your blog or myspace or website by going to the following link.

http://www.widgetbox.com/widget/lastfmtop10

Anyways, any feedback would be appreciated!

Thanks
Last edited by Plazma on Fri Apr 20, 2007 9:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
trixmoto

Post by trixmoto »

Wow that looks fantastic!! :D
Download my scripts at my own MediaMonkey fansite.
All the code for my website and scripts is safely backed up immediately and for free using Dropbox.
Steegy

Post by Steegy »

Very nice!
Extensions: ExternalTools, ExtractFields, SongPreviewer, LinkedTracks, CleanImport, and some other scripts (Need Help with Addons > List of All Scripts).
Plazma

Post by Plazma »

I like MM forum b/c ppl actually respond with insight and helpful comments.

Thx for the replies

Thanks any comments on aesthetics i could / should change?
Or other features i should put up?
Steegy

Post by Steegy »

Well OK then:

2 things about esthetics:
- anti-aliasing would be nice: this would smooth the animation (less "flickering" of details) (maybe not necessary if you resample the images)
- resample images instead of resizing them (less "blocks" on small images that are enlarged, and less "flickering" of details on larger images that are reduced)

1 thing about functionality:
- black wet floor probably looks the best, but maybe people want to be able to (optionally) set another color, if that fits better with the things around your widget

2 things about animation/control:
- a wider "animation-stop" cursor zone (in the middle) would be handier, as now you have to aim very hard to bring the animation to a stop.
- a (smoother) transition between slow-fast, left-right movements would be nicer to look at, and it would make the widget better controllable.

2 questions:
- do you plan to use your work for other things, like to show covers in MediaMonkey?
- how about other animations, like iTunes' CoverFlow?

1 general question:
- is Flash animation really that easy compared to other languages/environments? I'm always surprised by the cool effects, games, animations, ... people do with Flash, while DHTML (with javascript) doesn't even come to the first step of this, and real programming languages don't bring much of that either.

This should keep you busy :lol:.
Extensions: ExternalTools, ExtractFields, SongPreviewer, LinkedTracks, CleanImport, and some other scripts (Need Help with Addons > List of All Scripts).
DaledeSilva

Post by DaledeSilva »

hey Plazma,

nice one.. it looks good..
Steegy's right about the Anti-Aliasing.. that was the only thing that jumped out at me.

if you're willing to use flash 8, you should be able to apply a really small blur to it to achieve a bit of an AA effect... and since you're doing it anyway.. you could then have the blur increase as the image goes further behind the one in focus.

good job!

Dale.
Product Designer & Indie Developer.
Building at the intersection of motion, art, and code.
Find me on twitter and all the other ones here.
Plazma

Post by Plazma »

Kewl thx -
Im not quite sure how to anti-alias with flash - dynamic images are always tricky.

I have totally made a checklist from your post Steegy thx:D

As well, i dont know if flash can be imlemented into MM - but i had made a mediamonkey widget for konfabulator a while back - maybe i could play around and try to integrate flash with mm's browse - i'm so up in the air with - but its a thought.

And ya - flash is a really efficient environment to work in - the scripting is pretty simple object oriented type - you should give it a go sometime.