Can You Suggest Software to Safely Clip MP3s' Silence?

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

latinmusiclover

Can You Suggest Software to Safely Clip MP3s' Silence?

Post by latinmusiclover »

I have a lot of MP3s with a few seconds of silence at the end of the track -- and some with silence at the beginning. It's not a big deal, but I would like to make my collection consistent and remove these silences, but I don't want to have my mp3s re-compressed, just clipped, and I don't want any of my tags damaged in the process. Because it's probably something other people have done, I thought I'd ask here for advice. Thanks.
rovingcowboy

Post by rovingcowboy »

mp3 trim but that might mess up tags? it is the one everyone seems to say to get.

still i would uncompress them from mp3's then open them in a wav editor, and add 2 seconds to the front that don't have it and to the finish that don't have it.

just to make sure i did not mess up the tags.

then recompress them. 8)
roving cowboy / keith hall. My skins http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =9&t=16724 for some help check on Monkey's helpful messages at http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 4008#44008 MY SYSTEMS.1.Jukebox WinXp pro sp 3 version 3.5 gigabyte mb. 281 GHz amd athlon x2 240 built by me.) 2.WinXP pro sp3, vers 2.5.5 and vers 3.5 backup storage, shuttle 32a mb,734 MHz amd athlon put together by me.) 3.Dell demension, winxp pro sp3, mm3.5 spare jukebox.) 4.WinXp pro sp3, vers 3.5, dad's computer bought from computer store. )5. Samsung Galaxy A51 5G Android ) 6. amd a8-5600 apu 3.60ghz mm version 4 windows 7 pro bought from computer store.
latinmusiclover

rovingcowboy wrote:mp3 trim but that might mess up tags? it is the one everyone seems to say to get.

still i would uncompress them from mp3's then open them in a wav editor, and add 2 seconds to the front that don't have it and to the finish that don't have it.

just to make sure i did not mess up the tags.

then recompress them. 8)
But I don't want add silences, I want to remove them. And I don't want to uncompress and then recompress -- that will lose the tags info and make the finished track worse than the original. I just want to trim the silence if a silence exists, hopefully automatically, and without losing tag info or resampling.
Eyal

Post by Eyal »

Why not simply use the DirectSound Output plugin?
It has an option to remove silent at beginning/end of tracks while playing.
Skins for MediaMonkey: Cafe, Carbon, Helium, Spotify, Zekton. [ Wiki Zone ].
Maaspuck

mp3trim

Post by Maaspuck »

Hi latinmusiclover,

as rovingcowboy said you can use MPTrim and this programm should keep your tags. Well i already used it and the tags were still there after cutting of the silence at the beginning and the end of the song. A drawback is that you can use batch operations only with the pro version ($70).

Regards

Maaspuck

Correction (05-27-2007)
The link description above was 'MP3Trim' and was corrected to 'MPTrim' referring to the following post of pah68.

@pah68
thanks for your comment. A single letter can make a big difference.

Maaspuck
Last edited by Maaspuck on Sun May 27, 2007 3:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
pah68

Post by pah68 »

Maaspuck, your link is to MPTrim and not MP3Trim

You don't need to decompress the files firts and your tags will be fine.
Peke

Post by Peke »

According to download.com
it is the same app.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
latinmusiclover

Eyal wrote:Why not simply use the DirectSound Output plugin?
It has an option to remove silent at beginning/end of tracks while playing.
Because I want to actually remove the silence at the beginning and/or end if it is possible to do so without re-compressing the mp3 or losing the tags. then when I burn to CD I end up with all tracks with no odd silences between them. It's not a 'must', just an 'it would be nice'.
Jake Ames

Post by Jake Ames »

mp3DirectCut (google for it) is a wonderful free application that can edit mp3's directly without re-encoding or altering tag data.

It is one of my mainstay applications!

jake
Eyal

Post by Eyal »

I use mp3DirectCut too to do this kind of job, but it's not as automatic as mp3Trim or other software kind. If you have many mp3s to trim but do not mind about time and manual editing work, go for it. And it's free.

The think I like about mp3DirectCut is that you have a visual representation of the mp3, and it is a well built editor (logically speaking) but the learning curve is litlle tough.
Skins for MediaMonkey: Cafe, Carbon, Helium, Spotify, Zekton. [ Wiki Zone ].
Steegy

Post by Steegy »

mp3DirectCut + 1

Why? I like to see what's happening, and the program can do a lot of things. You have to get used to it though (for some things).

I tried other programs (including MPTrim - I don't think it did the job for me) but ended with mp3DirectCut.
Extensions: ExternalTools, ExtractFields, SongPreviewer, LinkedTracks, CleanImport, and some other scripts (Need Help with Addons > List of All Scripts).