Synchronization Issue

Get answers about syncing MediaMonkey 4 with iPods and other devices.

Moderator: Gurus

kfomiatti

Synchronization Issue

Post by kfomiatti »

I've been using MM for a few weeks now and really love it. The deeper I dig the more features I find. But I do have an issue with device synchronization. My problem is that no matter what I try MM removes ALL existing content and then recopies everything again. This takes hours each time and is driving me around the twist. I have searched the forums and have noticed that the same issue has been reported many times but there does not seem to be a precise answer given. I'm syncing to a Toshiba F60 Gigabeat and everything seems to be working perfectly except this one thing.
Should resyncing only copy changed files or is MM working as designed? That is, it should always remove existing content and then recopies it all again? If this is correct atleast I can stop looking for an answer.
If it should only copy changed files any advice would be appreciated. I have tested extensively and cannot find a problem. I have checked and rechecked the system time on both the PC and the Gigabeat and they are correct. I have cleared all content from the Gigabeat and synced. I then wait a short time after it completes and then resync for a second time and it again removes all content before copying it all again. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks Keith
emalvick

Post by emalvick »

What you are seeing is an option that is set when you configure the device for syncing. You can change the setting so that music is only added to the device in addition to what is already there.

Erik
kfomiatti

Post by kfomiatti »

Eric thanks for your response.
Where is this option set ?

I'm trying sync to the Gigabeat even if a tag is changed not just add new tracks. But even when just adding tracks ALL existing content is removed first.

My settings and procedure is as follows:
1. Synch to (on Gigabeat): "My Music\<Album>\<Album><Track#>-<Title>". No other options on the synchronization options screen are ticked.
2. I then click the synchronize to portable/audio device icon. This then runs OK and all the music is copied to the Gigabeat.
3. I wait a few minutes and do not make any changes to my music library. I then click the synchronize to portable/audio device icon again. ALL content in the Gigabeat My Music folder is then removed by MM and ALL recopied.

The removal of all content on a small capacity device would be OK as the time taken would be quite short but I'm syncing 25GB and it takes 4 or 5 hours. Could this only be a problem on the Gigabeats or is it just becoming a problem as devices with larger capacities become more common?

Thanks Keith
kdo

Post by kdo »

I'm having the same problem, it seems.

I was just reading the FAQs:
it says it may be because the time is set wrong either on the computer or on the portable player.
So I checked my player, and indeed the date was set wrong.

I didn't try to synch anything to the player yet (Edit: after I adjusted the date/time, that is), so don't know if it will make any difference.
kdo

Post by kdo »

Another thing I see people advise is to disable the option of "updating file timestamps when changing tags".
I will have to try this too. Although this seems a bit odd...

I wonder if MediaMonkey should mess up the tags if I disable that option...
GSV3MiaC

Post by GSV3MiaC »

MM will still update the tags, but it won't update the 'file was last updated at time X' every time it rewrites a tag, therefore synching won't go 'Oh look, the file has been changed, let's resynch the new version' just because you decided to alter the spelling of the album artist or whatever.

Of course you may want to resynch every time a tag is changed, in which case leave the option as it is.
kfomiatti

Post by kfomiatti »

Kdo, I saw that topic in the FAQs also and checked my player and PC. They both had the same time so I will keep looking. Have you retested after changing your time? What type of player do you have?
Keith
kdo

Post by kdo »

Alright, I tested synching again, and this time it seems to work ok! Me very happy happy! 8) :D

So in my case it was enough to set correct date/time on the player.

Important: I only tested the auto-synchronization (with several playlists selected in the options). I didn't test synching a playlist or files manually.

Well, actually there was one more thing which I did differently this time. I changed the mask for the filenames in the auto-synchronisation options. It used to be something like \Music\album\artist - title, and now I changed it to \Music\path:1

The player is a 20 Gb Hard-drive based (it's Archos Gmini). MM handles it as a generic USB hard-disk device.

kfomiatti, if your player allows it, perhaps you could also somehow check that the files are not modified by the player itself. Just to exclude all possible sources of error.
blindlemon57

Post by blindlemon57 »

kfomiatti,
Did you ever find where that option to set add only new music is?

Thanks
Blind Lemon
GSV3MiaC

Post by GSV3MiaC »

You just un-tick the option which says 'delete tracks which aren't on the auto synch list from the device'. Then it doesn't delete them. (Although it will still rapidly delete any which are on the list, and which are deemed to be out of date - I wish it would just over-write them one at a time).