Adding Information to the Scripting Help .chm

Download and get help for different MediaMonkey Addons.

Moderators: Peke, Gurus

MoDementia

Adding Information to the Scripting Help .chm

Post by MoDementia » Wed Jul 05, 2006 7:05 pm

Apart from the lack of examples in the scripting help file most of the difficulty was in relating members to methods, code and the overall data picture.

I have started work on adding information to the scripting help file MediaMonkeyScripting.chm

Examples Here and Here

The Hierarchy Code is based on this table Here

1. If anyone has gathered information like this already I would appreciate their data.
2. Comments and Suggestions are most welcome so that it might become more than just for my own personal use.
3. The terminology and even my deductions could be very wrong, as I said it confused me terribly (still does) to the point where I was trying to do impossible things like trying to use Replace on a List etc

DiddeLeeDoo

Post by DiddeLeeDoo » Wed Jul 05, 2006 8:28 pm

Fantastic initiative!

Maybe the chm2web application could help to simplify this. Currently giving this application a go here, to see how it works

By having a web page to refer to, submitted suggestions could use the web page link as a referral. If you have the time to take suggestions from the community, and maybe populate a compiled help file weekly or something like that, I guess this could be a start of something great.

I guess before doing web publication of some sort, it would be best to make sure that the owners of the help file agree with doing something like this.

MoDementia

Post by MoDementia » Wed Jul 05, 2006 9:17 pm

I wasn't expecting that sort of enthusiastic reply, thanks.

With the web version it could become a community effort, great idea.

This looks like it will also do the job CHM Encoder

I would be glad to implement suggestions and update/publish etc. It would help make it usable a lot quicker, and my lack of knowledge would be exposed faster :)

DiddeLeeDoo

Post by DiddeLeeDoo » Wed Jul 05, 2006 10:06 pm

As you'll notice, every page in the help file is marked with Copyright to Ventis Media, and that should be respected. But maybe a project like this could get a trial period of say 3 months At expire date the whole project should be deleted from publicly available sources, unless another 3 months trial is given from Ventis Media. I don't know. Another twist is maybe to give consent to a 'community' version, and an 'official' version. In any case, it is much more fun if Ventis Media allow something like this to take place.

That experiment with chm2web took awhile and generated a hefty 182 MB folder of web pages!! (Did a non-frame version) so relevant pages will show at the address bar.

MoDementia

Post by MoDementia » Wed Jul 05, 2006 11:22 pm

Creating the web help pages isn't really nessessary. The way the chm is extracted makes it easy to find the correct page

The heading on each page says it all. As long as the suggestion includes this, changes can be made correctly and easily.

Even so, you're right, I don't want to get in trouble for using copyright material if I made my (community) copy available for download