Change database location in MM3?

Get answers about using the current release of MediaMonkey for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

dyingpicket

Change database location in MM3?

Post by dyingpicket » Sat Dec 29, 2007 5:04 am

Hi all!

How can I change the location of the new MM Database from "C:\Documents and Settings\<user>\Local Settings\Application Data\MediaMonkey\MM.DB" to another location on my HD?
In MM2 it was somewhere in the MediaMonkey.ini file, but I could not find the value anymore.

cheers,
DP
2 + 2 = 5
FOR EXTREMELY LARGE VALUES OF 2

DC

Post by DC » Sat Dec 29, 2007 8:06 am

Seems to work in the same way as before, with the only difference that the ini file does not contain the option by default. Worked for me by adding the following line to the [SYSTEM] section:

DBName=C:\Home\Dokumente\MediaMonkey\MM.DB

Note that the name of the DB as changed and that the extension is not mdb anymore.

dyingpicket

Post by dyingpicket » Sun Dec 30, 2007 6:25 am

Hi!

Thank you, it works.

But it is in the SYSTEM section of the "C:\Documents and Settings\<user>\Local Settings\Application Data\MediaMonkey\MediaMonkey.ini" file.

AFAICR in MM2 this entry was in the "C:\Program Files\MediaMonkey\MediaMonkey.ini" file, wasn't it?

Cheers,
DP
2 + 2 = 5
FOR EXTREMELY LARGE VALUES OF 2

DC

Post by DC » Sun Dec 30, 2007 8:12 am

dyingpicket wrote: AFAICR in MM2 this entry was in the "C:\Program Files\MediaMonkey\MediaMonkey.ini" file, wasn't it?
You are right, the file location has changed. The previous location was "...\My Documents\My Music\MediaMonkey", not in "Program Files". I figured since you found the new location of the DB you would also see the ini in that same folder ;-)

DC

eAndy

Post by eAndy » Mon Dec 31, 2007 10:34 am

Hi,

thanks for the hint, I had the same question regarding the Database.
But is it also possible to change the location of the other files and folders
in the C:\Users\****\AppData\Local\MediaMonkey directory also?

I would like to have them all in the C:\Users\***\Music folder because I backup them periodically...

thx!
greetz
eAndy

DC

Post by DC » Mon Dec 31, 2007 8:41 pm

eAndy wrote:thanks for the hint, I had the same question regarding the Database.
But is it also possible to change the location of the other files and folders
in the C:\Users\****\AppData\Local\MediaMonkey directory also?

I would like to have them all in the C:\Users\***\Music folder because I backup them periodically...
Well, which other files are there? A temp folder and a virtual cd folder, both can be relocated in the same way as the db, and the ini file. No idea if you can relocate the ini file, but MM has to find its settings at a defined place.

Lowlander

Post by Lowlander » Mon Dec 31, 2007 10:36 pm

In MediaMonkey 2 you could move the ini file to the Program Files folder where MediaMonkey is installed, I don't know if this still works in MediaMonkey 3.
Lowlander (MediaMonkey user since 2003)

MusicBringer

Post by MusicBringer » Tue Jan 01, 2008 7:03 am

DC wrote:... No idea if you can relocate the ini file, but MM has to find its settings at a defined place.
I would like to know how to relocate the ini file to a safe place of my choosing. Such as a place where I keep files I like to backup regularly :)

DC

Post by DC » Tue Jan 01, 2008 8:16 am

I can understand that, I don't use that profile directory myself. Too much unwanted rubbish in there (like My EBooks etc) which you cannot delete because it is promptly recreated. The only way I see how MM could find its ini at an arbitrary location is if you pass it as parameter via commandline or define the location in a registry key. I don't know if MM supports either (but I doubt it). Otherwise, you can only copy the ini to a folder you include in your backup, or create an NTFS link to the file.

AllCammedUp

Post by AllCammedUp » Thu Jan 03, 2008 8:02 pm

Thanks for the info on moving the MM database... I just tried it with MM3 and it worked great! It makes a big difference in MM's speed and responsiveness to get the database off the spindle where the MP3 collection is.