MM3 resets "play count" and "last played"

To get bugs in the current release fixed, please report them here.

Moderator: Gurus

Christoph

MM3 resets "play count" and "last played"

Post by Christoph » Thu Mar 06, 2008 4:29 pm

Hey,
often I experienced the following problem:
- Play a song and stop playing
- Quit MM and Start it again
- Now, play count is set to zero and last played is empty (of the selected song)
- Play another song and restart MM again
- playcount and last played are restored

But if you wouldn't change the song MM would take the reseted infos and update them. So, the play count would be 1 after the song has been played.

I noticed the problem in 3.0.2 and 3.0.3b1.
It doesn't occur always but very often on my machine.
(ogg and mp3 files)

Christoph

nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 » Thu Mar 06, 2008 4:39 pm

This bug is reproducible on my system (running 3.0.3.1140 on Vista Home Premium).
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.

Ludek

Post by Ludek » Thu Mar 06, 2008 5:33 pm

Thank you,
the bug is reproducible on my system too.
We are looking into it.

spacefish

Post by spacefish » Fri Mar 07, 2008 3:53 am

I have been discussing a very similar issue with Peke and I have surmised that the problem only occurs on my machine with a few different scripts installed. Remove those scripts and the problem goes away. I haven't seen this happen since removing those scripts (which I hated to do because I really liked them). I've given Peke very detailed information about my testing based on a script he gave me to see Track IDs of the currently queued track (bold) in the Now Playing list. I originally discovered that this was a problem while testing the native last.fm plugin. The problem is in fact not at all related to the plugin and I would hazard a guess that it is a problem with MediaMonkey itself and not these scripts. They are all by different authors. I think the scripts just trigger the behavior.

I wonder do any of you have any scripts installed and if you do, have you tried removing all of them and then seeing if this problem persists? My results have been very consistent. That is, the problem is not intermittent for me. I can always reproduce it if I install one or more of these scripts. Without any of them, the problem goes away. As a result, eveytime I install a new script now, I run Peke's Track ID test to see if that script triggers the problem. If it doesn't, great! I keep running it. If it does, I remove it and add it to the list of scripts I can't run.
MM Gold 3.0.3.1183 : Vista HP SP1 (x86) : Zen Stone (2GB)
Zekton: An original MM3 skin by Eyal.
Scripts in Use: Add/Remove PlayStat | Auto Album DJ | AutoRateAccurate | Backup
Case & Leading Zero Fixer | Classification & Genre Changer | Clean Scripts.ini | Clear
Field | Custom Report | Discogs Auto-Tag Web Search | Forget Crossfade | Invert
Selection/Select None | Last 100... | Lyricator | Lyrics to Instrumental | MonkeyRok
MusicBrainz Tagger | My Custom Nodes | Now Playing Art Node | Play History & Stats
Right Click for Reports | Right Click for Scripts | Right Click for Web | Stop After Current
WebNodes

drjboulder

Post by drjboulder » Fri Mar 07, 2008 4:28 am

spacefish wrote:I run Peke's Track ID test to see if that script triggers the problem.
Could you please elaborate on what this is?
Feel like I have missed something that I should be using... :-?
Last edited by drjboulder on Fri Mar 07, 2008 4:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
D Rock
MediaMonkeyGoldv3.0.3.1183
Vista Home Basic|4thGen 20GPod
Zune Small Player Skin w/ Aqua 4 Player Mod
Backup | Last FM Node | Scrobbler DJ | TopTracks | StayInSameStyleDJ
RadioDJ | RadioFreeMonkey | PrettyPictures | MiniLyricsEmbedder
LyricsViewer | Lyricator | LyricsPlugin | VisualizationEmbedder | MonkeyRok
RightClickForWeb | WebSearchPanels | WebNodes | MagicNodes | FavoritesNodes
NowPlayingArtNode |AutoRateAccurate | TaggingInconsistencies
AdvancedDuplicateFind&Fix | CaseModify | PlayHistory&Stats | Etc...

Christoph

Post by Christoph » Fri Mar 07, 2008 4:45 am

Hey,
that's right. I have ScrobblerDJ installed but it's not activated. I will deinstall it an see what happens with my problem.

Thanks for the info.

Christoph

Edit:
Ok, ScrobblerDJ isn't the problem. The WebSearchPanels-Script influences this behaviour.

spacefish

Post by spacefish » Fri Mar 07, 2008 5:03 am

drjboulder wrote:
spacefish wrote:I run Peke's Track ID test to see if that script triggers the problem.
It was a tiny script (just a few lines) he posted in the Native Last.fm Plugin Testing thread when I thought there was an issue with that plugin not scrobbling after MM was restarted and a previously stopped track was resumed. Well, it wouldn't scrobble but that wasn't the issue (the Winamp plugin will scrobble it just fine). MM sees no track ID for that track so it doesn't think it's in the library and therefore won't scrobble it. This is not related to the plugin but rather the non-scrobbling issue is a side-effect of the invalid track ID problem. I've kept the script sitting on my desktop and I run it every time I install a new script now.
Case & Leading Zero Fixer | Classification & Genre Changer | Clean Scripts.ini | Clear
Selection/Select None | Last 100... | Lyricator | Lyrics to Instrumental | MonkeyRok
MusicBrainz Tagger | My Custom Nodes | Now Playing Art Node | Play History & Stats
Right Click for Reports | Right Click for Scripts | Right Click for Web | Stop After Current
WebNodes

Christoph

Post by Christoph » Fri Mar 07, 2008 5:16 am

Ok, then I will try that script too.
I found out that the problem is related to line 320 of the WebSearch.vbs:

Code: Select all

Set Browser = UI.NewActiveX(Panel, "Shell.Explorer")
Deactivating this end the following "with browser" code (only for preventing script errors, the functions don't have any influence on the issue) solves the problem.
I've also tried deactivating all browser relating functions but nothing worked. So, my results are that it depends on this code line. ;)

I'll keep on testing.

Christoph

drjboulder

Post by drjboulder » Fri Mar 07, 2008 5:28 am

spacefish wrote:
drjboulder wrote:
It was a tiny script (just a few lines) he posted in the Native Last.fm Plugin Testing thread when I thought there was an issue with that plugin not scrobbling after MM was restarted and a previously stopped track was resumed. Well, it wouldn't scrobble but that wasn't the issue (the Winamp plugin will scrobble it just fine). MM sees no track ID for that track so it doesn't think it's in the library and therefore won't scrobble it. This is not related to the plugin but rather the non-scrobbling issue is a side-effect of the invalid track ID problem. I've kept the script sitting on my desktop and I run it every time I install a new script now.
For those interested, here is the scriplet that SpaceFish is referring to: Track ID Test..
D Rock
MediaMonkeyGoldv3.0.3.1183
Vista Home Basic|4thGen 20GPod
Zune Small Player Skin w/ Aqua 4 Player Mod
Backup | Last FM Node | Scrobbler DJ | TopTracks | StayInSameStyleDJ
RadioDJ | RadioFreeMonkey | PrettyPictures | MiniLyricsEmbedder
LyricsViewer | Lyricator | LyricsPlugin | VisualizationEmbedder | MonkeyRok
RightClickForWeb | WebSearchPanels | WebNodes | MagicNodes | FavoritesNodes
NowPlayingArtNode |AutoRateAccurate | TaggingInconsistencies
AdvancedDuplicateFind&Fix | CaseModify | PlayHistory&Stats | Etc...

Christoph

Post by Christoph » Fri Mar 07, 2008 5:30 am

So, it's infact a missing track id that causes the problem.
But why does it resolve when I disable a the browser line? Hmm.

spacefish

Post by spacefish » Fri Mar 07, 2008 5:38 am

Well, I can't go so far as to say that any specific script lines are causing the problem. I get no error messages whatsoever, only the invalid track ID. It's simply too many, unrelated scripts that trigger the behavior and I'm no programmer, so I can't say that they all have the same string involved, though I suppose it's possible if highly unlikely.

To give you an idea of what I'm talking about, at least one of the scripts works fine by itself but triggers the invalid track ID when paired with another script, which doesn't trigger the behavior on its own. Here's what I've come up with so far as scripts that trigger the behavior:
My Custom Nodes = Always Errors
AutoRateAccurate + MonkeyRok = Always Errors
AutoRateAccurate + Play History = No Errors
AutoRateAccurate + Others = No
AutoRateAccurate = No
MonkeyRok + Play History = No
MonkeyRok + Others = No
MonkeyRok = No
Play History + Others = No
Play History = No

And later I found that Lyrics Viewer also causes the problem but I didn't test it by itself. It was simply one of those I'd installed since I uninstalled MonkeyRok and no longer had a lyrics window in my interface. I was pretty bummed when that wouldn't work either. Note that MonkeyRok by itself causes no issue but when paired with AutoRateAccurate, the invalid track ID returns.

The scripts in my sig all work fine and do not appear to trigger an invalid track ID. I didn't test every one individually, but I did test the big-hitters with these smaller scripts installed and found no problems with them, as described above.

For what it's worth, I don't use WebSearchPanels but I do have WebNodes and Classification and Genre Changer installed and neither gives me an issue.
WebNodes

spacefish

Post by spacefish » Fri Mar 07, 2008 5:43 am

drjboulder wrote:For those interested, here is the scriplet that SpaceFish is referring to: Track ID Test..
If you go to that post and read a few more down, I've posted some screenshots and more info (code) related to the invalid track ID. Peke also has more screenshots that specifically show the -1 track ID. I can repost if anyone's interested.
WebNodes

Christoph

Post by Christoph » Fri Mar 07, 2008 6:24 am

Hey,
thanks for the script tip. I will try that if there's no solution for the current problem. Would be better to fix this because it seems that many people have this problem.

Is it possible to log the full SQL queries? The current debug technique doesn't show the inserted parameters.

Christoph

spacefish

Post by spacefish » Fri Mar 07, 2008 6:32 am

I would love to see it fixed so I could go back to using those other scripts again. I miss My Custom Nodes A LOT and MonkeyRok too.

AFAIK, however, this problem has existed since I started using MM in mid-January. I think that version was 3.0.1.1127. I have/had a brand new database with playcounts all at 0. I'm an album listener so theoretically all album tracks should increase by 1 when I play that album. It's definitely easy to see when they don't when your database is new! I found many instances where random tracks within albums I'd recently played had no playcount and no last played date. It was this behavior that confirmed for me it was not an issue with the native last.fm plugin but an issue with MM itself as it relates to scripts. And it's been present since I've been a user.
WebNodes

Ludek

Post by Ludek » Fri Mar 07, 2008 7:58 am

This bug (as been originally reported by Christoph in the first note) was fixed. You can check over in the build 1141 (once is available) and
yes, it was also related to the fact that the current (highlighted) track have SongsID = -1 after restart MM (Was not read from DB). But this problem seemed to occur only for the highlighted track.