convert iTunes protected music

Any ideas about how to improve MediaMonkey? Let us know!

Moderator: Gurus

Jenna

convert iTunes protected music

Post by Jenna » Sun Jan 22, 2006 1:47 pm

I wish that MdeiaMonkey could convert the music I purchased through iTunes to any other unprotected format.

Steegy

Post by Steegy » Sun Jan 22, 2006 2:18 pm

Your options:

Code: Select all

Unprotect DRM WMA
  older versions (DRMv2): FreeMe
  newer versions:
    TuneByte: http://www.tunebite.com/website/v2/en/home.php?affiliate=70112
    Tutorial (write to and rip from virtual cd): http://uk.geocities.com/thetomcatslair/Entertainment/DRM/drm.html

Unprotect DRM iTunes:
  versions < 6: JHymn: http://hymn-project.org/
  versions 6++: not possible yet
As you can see, there's not yet a "solution" for protected files from iTunes' newest version 6 and above.

Cheers
Steegy
Extensions: ExternalTools, ExtractFields, SongPreviewer, LinkedTracks, CleanImport, and some other scripts (Need Help with Addons > List of All Scripts).

Josti

Post by Josti » Sun Jan 22, 2006 4:00 pm

AFAIK you can burn it to a CD (or better an Image of a cd) and rip it to mp3/wma/etc... from it.

bbrodka

Post by bbrodka » Sun Oct 22, 2006 10:24 pm

trixmoto

Post by trixmoto » Mon Oct 23, 2006 4:15 am

I couldn't get SoundTaxi to work at all, well the free demo anyway, which didn't encourage me to invest in it.
Download my scripts at my own MediaMonkey fansite.
All the code for my website and scripts is safely backed up immediately and for free using Dropbox.

alanl

Post by alanl » Wed Oct 25, 2006 4:01 pm

Steegy

Post by Steegy » Wed Oct 25, 2006 4:41 pm

Go DVD Jon, go!! Kick Apple's *ss :D
Extensions: ExternalTools, ExtractFields, SongPreviewer, LinkedTracks, CleanImport, and some other scripts (Need Help with Addons > List of All Scripts).

Morten

Post by Morten » Wed Oct 25, 2006 4:41 pm

That would be great to include with MediaMonkey, but I'm sure there are legal issues.

paulmt

Post by paulmt » Wed Oct 25, 2006 6:46 pm

I wish the Bands and Artists would stop pissing on the hands of the people that do legitimately support them!
If some of the more influential artists would make a stand against this restrictive piracy that is being pushed by some high profile artists as well as production companies, maybe a reasonable approach to copywrite infringements could be found. One that is fair to the consumer and the artist, and recognises how music is listened to and stored in the 2000's

If this were done, we wouldn't have to make endless wishes for ways to listen to, and use the music we have paid for.

Spazz

Post by Spazz » Thu Oct 26, 2006 11:55 am

http://www.emusic.com ktx

Anyways in all seriousness. The way I understand it the major labels own the songs, the artists write them for the labels and in return they get all kinds of services like sound equipment. In return they get x amount of money from each cd sold. Blame the companies.

paulmt

Post by paulmt » Thu Oct 26, 2006 8:54 pm

Fair Comment Spazz, though I still feel that some of the big name artists are very active in pushing for electronic protection and others could, if they wished, speak up in opposition.

Anyway that web site (eMusic) is awesome. I don't see how they are any more legal than allofmp3 who are under attack at present.
Other than a lot of their tracks are by relative unknowns I can't see how these sites keep popping up and operating openly in the environment that exists at present.
I got my 25 free songs, and recommended a few friends and have another 150 free as well, so I have a smile a mile wide at present.

Lowlander

Post by Lowlander » Fri Oct 27, 2006 11:45 pm

EMusic is legal as the artist agree to have there tracks sold there. Problem is that few big name artist will do so, so it's mostly lesser know music. allofmp3 has big name artist which don't agree to being sold on that website.
Lowlander (MediaMonkey user since 2003)

paulmt

Post by paulmt » Sat Oct 28, 2006 12:37 am

Thats what I thought. But a lot of the music is great! unknown, sure, but a lot of the pleasure in music for me now is finding music that not many of my friends have.

I downloaded, Natacha Atlas - Something Dangerous, I have never heard of her in this part of the world before, but thought this a really cool album.
Excellent fusion of European Drum & Bass but with Middle Eastern and Indian Sub Continent overtones.