Update Location of Files in Database 1.3 (2012-06-12) [MM2+]

Post a reply

Smilies
:D :) :( :o :-? 8) :lol: :x :P :oops: :cry: :evil: :roll: :wink:

BBCode is ON
[img] is ON
[flash] is OFF
[url] is ON
Smilies are ON

Topic review
   

Expand view Topic review: Update Location of Files in Database 1.3 (2012-06-12) [MM2+]

Re: Update Location of Files in Database 1.3 (2012-06-12) [MM2+]

by Unsunghero » Tue Sep 08, 2020 8:53 am

I am having problems getting this script to work as it is not giving me the option of the correct old path.

I am moving my MM instalation from an old computer to a new one. The location of my music library has not changed as it is on a NAS box, I'm only changing where MM is installed.

When I run the script the 'Update Location of Files in Database' dialogue box shows this information:

I get two old drive paths for some reason:

HD: Storage, ID=********, not accessible - This shows the old Location has 23491 media files, 0 existing + 23491 missing files
HD:, ID=********, not accessible - This shows the old Location has 25 media files, 0 existing + 25 missing files

My options for the old Path are:
?:\
?:\Users\
?:\Users\username\
?:\Users\username\Music\
?:\Users\username\Music\Artist
?:\Users\username\Music\Artist\Album\

When I select this old drive and old path as ?:\Users\username\Music\ and the New Path as M:\, I tells me new location 17345 existing + 6146 missing files

These old paths are not correct, as the old paths did not have \users\username\Music, it was simply G:\Music\Artist\Album which is the folder on my NAS, mapped to G:\

Is there a reason why the wrong old path would be displayed?

Thanks

Re: New Drive nothing works

by jkrafty » Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:45 pm

I downloaded and ran the script and it still isn't working. I didn't see any place in there to change the disk ID. How do you do that? The instructions didn't say either.

Re: New Drive nothing works

by Lowlander » Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:10 pm

New Drive nothing works

by jkrafty » Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:59 pm

I updated my hard drive and now I can't get MediaMonkey to play anything. It all looks just fine but when I click to play something it says its playing but I get nothing. Help!! I understand that somehow MM tracks the HD serial number or something like that but I can't figure out how to update it so I can get things working again. Very frustrating.

Re: Update Location of Files in Database 1.3 (2012-06-12) [MM2+]

by ZvezdanD » Mon Mar 04, 2019 12:11 pm

What is new:
v1.4.4 - 2019-03-04
* Fixed: update when the Old path contains the @, _ or % characters.

Re: Update Location of Files in Database 1.3 (2012-06-12) [MM2+]

by PDoyle » Sat Jan 26, 2019 5:39 pm

thank you for your script; it worked for me when nothing else was. Moved MMW to a new windows 10 pc, and even though Gold was updating the new locations, they were lost again. Your script fixed that. :D

Re: Update Location of Files in Database 1.3 (2012-06-12) [MM2+]

by rbock » Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:07 pm

Hey

Just to let you know, it worked great for me. I keep all my music on an external drive that I back up. My main drive crashed. I plugged in the backup, ran your plugin following the instructions and bam. Was up in and running in less than five minutes. Thanks for all your work on it. I really appreciate it.

Re: Update Location of Files in Database 1.3 (2012-06-12) [MM2+]

by ZvezdanD » Fri Jul 27, 2018 12:54 am

Unsunghero wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 7:39 pmPLEASE GO BACK AND READ ALL MY POSTS. I DID NOT ONCE SAY YOUR add-on does not work. In fact, I have said that clearly your add-on does work.
No, you should go back and read all your posts. Yes, you said clearly that my add-on works, but only in the last post. Go read your first post in this thread. You are blaming me and my add-on, and my user manual and my English knowledge for all your problems from the very first post in this thread. I was thinking if I should answer to such rude and aggressive post, but yet I tried to be helpful.

I spent several hours of my life trying to figure out what is going on with your configuration and you constantly refused to give the answer to my questions, leading the conversation to the unnecessary directions. If I asked you several times to describe how you copied the database file and what you did to it after copying, there was certainly a reason for that. As I explained, there are numerous programs that could copy files, either by drag&drop or in some other way. I cannot know what software you have installed and used for such thing. That is why I am asking about it and that is why you should answer to my questions. It is not because I am pedantic, but because I am not a wizard, nor I have some kind of crystal ball to look at it and to know what is it in your system.

It was evident to me that you uploaded the wrong file from the same moment when I downloaded it and installed on my computer. I told you several times that you uploaded the file that your program is not using, I told you that you should send me a file that you have it on the new drive, I even wrote the script that is telling you where is the file that you should upload, I explained how you could check that you uploaded the wrong file using the SQLite software, but yet you doubted that I am telling the truth and requested that I post the screenshot proving that.

I am not the one who corrupted your file. It is not my add-on who corrupted your file. Maybe you don't know who did that, but I know about it even less than you. So, the further conversation was pointless.

By the way, you should not yell at me. That was extremely rude.

Re: Update Location of Files in Database 1.3 (2012-06-12) [MM2+]

by Unsunghero » Thu Jul 26, 2018 7:50 pm

I have been helped with this issue directly by the Peke.

We ultimately did not need to use your script to solve the problem. Nothing that you actually mentioned was a solution to the problem I was having and I had to get help elsewhere.

Thank you for trying, I appreciate it, but sometimes language barriers can make things harder.

Re: Update Location of Files in Database 1.3 (2012-06-12) [MM2+]

by Unsunghero » Thu Jul 26, 2018 7:39 pm

ZvezdanD wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 6:00 pm This is a message to all users of my add-on(s).

Contrary to what the previous poster has to say, yes, I am wiling to help with my add-on(s). Always. You could clearly see that in this and other threads related to my add-ons.

However, if you want my help, you cannot come here and just say "your add-on doesn't work". You should describe the problem in details. You should describe what you did before using my add-on. And most importantly, I expect that you answer to my questions. If I ask you twice the same question and you still don't want to answer to it, I will not be helpful anymore.

I will not answer to someone who write the largest part of posts about things that are unrelated to the problem. Yes, I know I don't speak English well, but you should not play grammar police here. It is not productive. You don't need to mention to me how you have 30 years or so of computer experience expecting that I am some teenager who will be impressed with that fact. It is not productive as well. Your detail explanations of the problem are productive.

So please, before blaming my add-on, go check your computer, check the program, check the database file, and if you are absolutely sure that everything else is fine, then tell me how I could reproduce the problem. I cannot know that your database file is corrupted, it is you who should check that. Or you could send me the right file for my examination.
PLEASE GO BACK AND READ ALL MY POSTS. I DID NOT ONCE SAY YOUR add-on does not work. In fact, I have said that clearly your add-on does work.

Where did i say your add-on doesn't work? Please point me to this because, I simply told you and showed you using the screenshot, that I was not getting the desired results.

I also did not play grammar police, if I wanted to do that there was many errors I could have picked up on but I accepted that English is not your native language and tried to explain to you (teach you maybe), correct use of words that you were using incorrectly, or did not know the meaning of.

I did not say I have 30 years of computer experience, I told you that in 30 years nobody has referred to 'This PC' or 'My Computer' as software to me personally. This is a fact, I even acknowledge that you were correct calling it software, even if it was pedantic and there was no need for you to do it.

So please, before telling people I blamed your add-on, no, I didn't once blame your add-on. I simply came here to find the solution to a problem which ultimately somebody else explained and helped with where you could not help.

Can you explain to me how I would know the database file is corrupt? How can I tell you something is corrupt when I do not know it's corrupt.

Re: Update Location of Files in Database 1.3 (2012-06-12) [MM2+]

by ZvezdanD » Thu Jul 26, 2018 6:00 pm

This is a message to all users of my add-on(s).

Contrary to what the previous poster has to say, yes, I am wiling to help with my add-on(s). Always. You could clearly see that in this and other threads related to my add-ons.

However, if you want my help, you cannot come here and just say "your add-on doesn't work". You should describe the problem in details. You should describe what you did before using my add-on. And most importantly, I expect that you answer to my questions. If I ask you twice the same question and you still don't want to answer to it, I will not be helpful anymore.

I will not answer to someone who write the largest part of posts about things that are unrelated to the problem. Yes, I know I don't speak English well, but you should not play grammar police here. It is not productive. You don't need to mention to me how you have 30 years or so of computer experience expecting that I am some teenager who will be impressed with that fact. It is not productive as well. Your detail explanations of the problem are productive.

So please, before blaming my add-on, go check your computer, check the program, check the database file, and if you are absolutely sure that everything else is fine, then tell me how I could reproduce the problem. I cannot know that your database file is corrupted, it is you who should check that. Or you could send me the right file for my examination.

Re: Update Location of Files in Database 1.3 (2012-06-12) [MM2+]

by Unsunghero » Thu Jul 26, 2018 5:19 pm

ZvezdanD wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 4:59 pm
Unsunghero wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 4:35 pmthe fact you are unwilling to upload a screenshot as evidence makes me doubt you even more.
I told you what you could do to check that I am telling the truth, but since you do not want to do that, here is the screenshot:
Image

I will not comment the rest of your post. You are very rude. You messed up your database file before using my add-on, and yet you blame my add-on for something that cannot be done with it. The further discussion is pointless, I cannot help you.
Can you please point out where I have blamed your add-on? I have never said one bad thing about your add-on, clearly it works. There are many people saying it works. I only said I was not getting the options in the drop down box that you said I should have. You did not believe this, I proved it with a screenshot and you still did not acknowledge that I was right and I was not lying to you.

No, clearly you can not help as you do not want to help. I have found somebody else on the MM forums who is actually helping instead of calling me a liar.

I have not done anything to the database file, as i said, I would not even know how to change the file. I followed the instructions perfectly and the other user has confirmed that the db was corrupted and it is nothing that I have done to it.

Thank you for taking the time to respond.

Re: Update Location of Files in Database 1.3 (2012-06-12) [MM2+]

by ZvezdanD » Thu Jul 26, 2018 4:59 pm

Unsunghero wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 4:35 pmthe fact you are unwilling to upload a screenshot as evidence makes me doubt you even more.
I told you what you could do to check that I am telling the truth, but since you do not want to do that, here is the screenshot:
Image

I will not comment the rest of your post. You are very rude. You messed up your database file before using my add-on, and yet you blame my add-on for something that cannot be done with it. The further discussion is pointless, I cannot help you.

Re: Update Location of Files in Database 1.3 (2012-06-12) [MM2+]

by Unsunghero » Thu Jul 26, 2018 4:35 pm

ZvezdanD wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 3:20 pm
Unsunghero wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 2:11 pmWhen you say to somebody it is not possible to drag and drop without software, this is extremely pedantic. You know for a fact that files can be dragged and dropped and there is no reason to ask what software is used when I already told you I dragged and dropped.
No, I am not extremely pedantic. I just wanted to know which software you used to drag&drop files. There are bunch of programs that could do such thing, starting with your "This PC", then Windows Explorer, Total Commander and so on. They don't behave always in the same way, although they all have the same drag&drop thing.
Unsunghero wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 2:11 pmYes, I see the new drive ID D460-**** in the Old drive combo box of your add-on.
You still don't get it what I am telling you. You could see the new drive in the add-on only if your database file on the new drive is different than the one that you uploaded to Dropbox. More about this will be mentioned below.
Unsunghero wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 2:11 pmI have no idea what a hex value is or why I would want to find out it's hex value.
Go to wikipedia or any more reliable site that you trust and find information about it. Just for your reference, the Serial Number of a drive shown in the Command Prompt after Dir command is displayed using hexadecimal numerical notation, or short hex. The value of the same serial number in the SQLiteSpy is displayed using decimal numerical notation.
Unsunghero wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 2:11 pmI don't really need it because as I said I believe you, but how about you attach a screenshot of the Update Location dialog box with the Old drive combo box rolled down, so I can see what you really have?
I could upload the screenshot, but I don't need that. I already told you how you could check that I am telling you the truth. Just download SQLiteSpy (it is very short program and doesn't require installation), open the database file that you uploaded to Dropbox, follow my other instructions and you will find the record about your old drive with its serial number; you will not see any record about your new drive. More about this will be bellow.
Unsunghero wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 2:11 pmNo I have not uploaded anything to Dropbox.
Yes, you are. You uploaded the database file to Dropbox after my request. More about it will follow.
Unsunghero wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 2:11 pm11) I navigated, using the 'This PC' software, to this location: This PC\Removable Disk (E:)

12) I uploaded the exact same file, that was copied in step 8 and 9 to dropbox.
Ok now, this is the most important part of your post. You uploaded the database file to Dropbox from your _removable disk_. That is the database file containing the locations of files from your old drive. Yes, it is the same file that you copied to the new drive, but these two files are not the same anymore. I asked you to upload the file that your MediaMonkey program is using on the new computer, i.e. the database file from the new disk which you obviously altered after copying it to the new drive. How? Well, I don't know what you exactly did to it, you should know better about it.
YES, you are being pedantic. Again as I said nobody in 30 years has every referred to 'This PC' as software to me. I have messaged numerous people tonight who deal with computers on a daily basis and some who have done for 40+ years and I will not even repeat what they referred to you as for being so pedantic about this. Every one of them said that as soon as I mentioned drag and drop, they would know exactly what I was referring to, and that if I had used external software to windows to drag and drop they would expect me to tell them this. Which of course I would if I had used anything other than the standard drag and drop.

Clearly English is not your native language and although you clearly have great computer knowledge, you do not interact with people very often or understand certain English words that you have been using.

Why would I want to clutter my computer with extra software to drag and drop files when windows can do it with no hassle?

"You still don't get it what I am telling you." Do you mean that I do not understand what you are telling me?

Correct, I still don't get (understand) what you are telling me. So if you were to explain this better, what it appears you are saying is that by copying the MM.db from the old location and putting it in the new location. My PC or MM will automatically change the MM.db file?

As I thought, there was absolutely no reason for me to know what a hex value is.

Again, you wanted me to upload a screenshot because you didn't believe what I was saying. I have proved to you by use of a screenshot, as requested that I was telling the truth. Think about it, why would I lie? Where would that get me? Would it solve the problem? No. So there is literally no reason to give you false information and until you started accusing me of lying, making comments like "see what you really have" I trusted that you were being honest. Making comments like this has made me doubt you, and the fact you are unwilling to upload a screenshot as evidence makes me doubt you even more.

If you wanted me to upload proof and could not believe what I say, then why will you not upload proof? Instead you want me to go to the trouble to get a program and look if you are telling the truth.

"Yes, you are. You uploaded the database file to Dropbox after my request. More about it will follow."

I think you mean, yes, you have. But once again you are being pedantic. You were asking about how I transferred the files to the new computer. I did not use dropbox, the only time I used dropbox was when you requested that I used it. Therefore there is no reason for you to be so pedantic about this. We both know that I sent the file to you that you requested via dropbox other than this dropbox was not used. Windows software or this pc software or file explorer software what ever name you want to give it was used.

So what I am gathering from your final comments is that you did not correctly explain. I do not know the inner workings of MM, I am a user. I want to organise my music, I want to play my music. You clearly have a greater understanding of MM and also of programming, creating scripts. Yet when you asked me which file I sent to you, as far as I am aware it is the same file that is on the old and the new computer. I was told to copy this over. Nobody, including you has ever told me that by putting it on a new computer the db file would be altered. If I had been told this straight away, then I could have resolved this issue and copied the copied file so that the updated one would be sent to you.

"i.e. the database file from the new disk which you obviously altered after copying it to the new drive. How? Well, I don't know what you exactly did to it, you should know better about it"

Please explain to me how I obviously altered the file after copying? I did not change anything and you have just confirmed that by copying the file to the new location it is automatically altered. This is nothing to do with me (the user), I have not "obviously altered" the file. I have not done anything to the file. If you are saying MM alters the file, then yes the file could have been altered but I know nothing about this. I HAVE NOT ALTERED THE FILE.

I would also presume that there will be no apology for accusing me of lying about what I saw in the "Update location of files in database, old drive dropdown menu"? Clearly from my screenshot that I sent you it proves I was not lying to you yet you fail to even acknowledge this or apologise.

Re: Update Location of Files in Database 1.3 (2012-06-12) [MM2+]

by ZvezdanD » Thu Jul 26, 2018 3:20 pm

Unsunghero wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 2:11 pmWhen you say to somebody it is not possible to drag and drop without software, this is extremely pedantic. You know for a fact that files can be dragged and dropped and there is no reason to ask what software is used when I already told you I dragged and dropped.
No, I am not extremely pedantic. I just wanted to know which software you used to drag&drop files. There are bunch of programs that could do such thing, starting with your "This PC", then Windows Explorer, Total Commander and so on. They don't behave always in the same way, although they all have the same drag&drop thing.
Unsunghero wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 2:11 pmYes, I see the new drive ID D460-**** in the Old drive combo box of your add-on.
You still don't get it what I am telling you. You could see the new drive in the add-on only if your database file on the new drive is different than the one that you uploaded to Dropbox. More about this will be mentioned below.
Unsunghero wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 2:11 pmI have no idea what a hex value is or why I would want to find out it's hex value.
Go to wikipedia or any more reliable site that you trust and find information about it. Just for your reference, the Serial Number of a drive shown in the Command Prompt after Dir command is displayed using hexadecimal numerical notation, or short hex. The value of the same serial number in the SQLiteSpy is displayed using decimal numerical notation.
Unsunghero wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 2:11 pmI don't really need it because as I said I believe you, but how about you attach a screenshot of the Update Location dialog box with the Old drive combo box rolled down, so I can see what you really have?
I could upload the screenshot, but I don't need that. I already told you how you could check that I am telling you the truth. Just download SQLiteSpy (it is very short program and doesn't require installation), open the database file that you uploaded to Dropbox, follow my other instructions and you will find the record about your old drive with its serial number; you will not see any record about your new drive. More about this will be bellow.
Unsunghero wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 2:11 pmNo I have not uploaded anything to Dropbox.
Yes, you have. You uploaded the database file to Dropbox after my request. More about it will follow.
Unsunghero wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 2:11 pm11) I navigated, using the 'This PC' software, to this location: This PC\Removable Disk (E:)

12) I uploaded the exact same file, that was copied in step 8 and 9 to dropbox.
Ok now, this is the most important part of your post. You uploaded the database file to Dropbox from your _removable disk_. That is the database file containing the locations of files from your old drive. Yes, it is the same file that you copied to the new drive, but these two files are not the same anymore. I asked you to upload the file that your MediaMonkey program is using on the new computer, i.e. the database file from the new disk which you obviously altered after copying it to the new drive. How? Well, I don't know what you exactly did to it, you should know better about it.

Top