Mediamonkey 5?

Post a reply

Smilies
:D :) :( :o :-? 8) :lol: :x :P :oops: :cry: :evil: :roll: :wink:

BBCode is ON
[img] is ON
[flash] is OFF
[url] is ON
Smilies are ON

Topic review
   

Expand view Topic review: Mediamonkey 5?

Re: Mediamonkey 5?

by nauip » Sat Sep 12, 2020 2:42 pm

I keep considering buying a license as I am a long time user of MM and for a very brief moment every now and then I feel a pang of guilt that I just keep using the beta and getting all the paid features (or at least I think I am). I've recently updated my version 5 "beta" and once again I check to see if I can buy a license for it. And again yet another year passes where I can't buy version 5. I don't see the sense in buying version 4 because 5 is right here playing my music and syncing my phone.

Maybe this Christmas I'll gift myself the Lifetime License.

Re: Mediamonkey 5?

by Lowlander » Thu Jul 30, 2020 3:26 pm

It's common to have a good portion of long time users be upset about changes a new release makes. You see it with all software development. It's also common that if those users give it a shot that after a while they wonder how they got things done in the old version. It's simply part of being used to doing things a certain way. Give it a chance and you make come to love it too.

And where you're missing a feature, can't do a task, request it and it may get considered.

Re: Mediamonkey 5?

by Peke » Thu Jul 30, 2020 3:15 pm

Hi,
Why do you think we will be offended, and if so after 10+ years of your trust it is possible that we deserved some. There is no need, I would gladly read your long post and give arguments, facts, apology or even add/assigned things to devs to change/fix apron your suggestions. To be honest I was in your shoes 5 or 6 years ago when I firstly tried to test and install MM5 (and I use MM exclusively for 18 years from v0.x first Alphas).

I was devastated that UI I got used is overhauled and I could not find anything. I even argued with rest of team "Why?".

To be honest and I confessed to them recently that MM5 is much more organized and easier to work with than MM4 eg. found out that for some info I like to to have in my files in MM4 I needed to have Browser open, now in MM5 I get by default and I only thing I need to do is Copy/Paste. In other cases where plugins are missing I have found out that expanding MM5 would be even easier (you have developer console in debug version to see changes in realtime) and it is ready for next 18 years.

If it is possible please write that HATE post or we will certainly think that MM5 is perfect and nothing needs to be changed.

Re: Mediamonkey 5?

by alb123 » Thu Jul 30, 2020 1:37 pm

I've been a happy user of MediaMonkey for well over a decade. I always believed it was a very intuitive, no-nonsense, fast music library manager, and player. I recommended it to others probably as much as any other piece of software in my life. It wasn't the prettiest application ever made, but it was what it was and it did what it did incredibly well. Honestly, I love MediaMonkey and I always will. BTW, I know MM does more than just manage music, but it was my exclusive use for MM.

Yesterday, I decided to try the latest MediaMonkey 5 build. Major, major disappointment. It looks awful, to me. And that's all I'm going to say. I wrote a long post but I decided to delete it. There is no sense in me getting into details about anything because I absolutely am not trying to offend anyone who has contributed to this project. I love MM 4. Do I think it is perfect? No, but you'll have to knife fight me before I ever let someone even try to remove it from my computers. I shouldn't even be posting this. People are going to think I'm an bad and I probably deserve that. I've really bummed myself out because I was hoping that I could write all sorts of positive things. Maybe some music will cheer me up...

I apologize to any MM contributor/developer if my words offended you.

Re: Mediamonkey 5?

by Oztours » Mon Apr 27, 2020 9:31 am

Wow, this thread has been going since 2013 and still getting hits. I found it whilst researching if I should finally relent and try MM5 Beta. Here's my thoughts.

If your a "dyed in the wool" MM user, just do it. Easily installs as a separate version leaving your current one intact. You should also note that any changes you make in MM5 will automatically reflect in MM4 once you run a rescan of your folders.

Although it has what I think are some minor bugs (I may be wrong - after just 2 days of testing it may well be something in settings), I am loving it. Need to spend some more time in testing, but it is looking like I may be happy with it and won't bother going back to version 4.

Service. You can't beat it. On one occasion with MM4, I required assistance retrieving purchased codecs and despite the fact it was some years after the "you must download by...", they did not bat an eyelid and helped me out. You don't get that sort of service elsewhere.

As far as the cost is concerned, go back to page 5 and see this post.
http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 60#p458494
In my particular case, I have been a Lifetime user since 2010 and some quick maths suggests for the € 34.0 it cost me, that works out at approximately € 0.01 per day which begs the question how do they actually make money? If they turned around now and said I had to pay again, I wouldn't bat an eyelid just as they did to help me out when I needed it. I for one have certainly got my value out of the lifetime membership. Thank you Ventis Media/MediaMonkey.

Re: Mediamonkey 5?

by sterlingm » Sat Mar 14, 2020 10:25 am

Other software I've purchased would grandfather licenses for users who purchased the last version within the last year.

So if a person where to purchase MM4 within a year of the release of MM5 they could either, provide a license to those users for MM5 or provide a 75% reduction.

This way sales of MM4 can continue and customers who are buying now still have a sense of confidence they will be treated fairly if MM5 comes out "soon".

Just a thought.
-Sterling

Re: Mediamonkey 5?

by kris.sparky » Fri Mar 13, 2020 9:04 pm

Mediamonkey 5 has been just around the corner for more than 7 years now.
I'm glad your beta is going well, but I disagree with the licence situation, it would suck to buy MM4 right now and then have to pay again to get MM5 if it was to be released a week later.
The lack of any real date for its release has to be discouraging users and hurting sales.

Re: Mediamonkey 5?

by jmikelong » Sun Feb 16, 2020 2:17 am

Hi, All
I just read through this thread. I have been using MM since Version 3. I bought a lifetime license for MM 4. I have been very pleased with the program in general and thankful for the Dev team's updates. MM 4 has to be one of the best values of the multitudes of programs that I have purchased over the years. I am beta testing MM 5 right now and I am running it in portable mode to jump back and forth with MM 4. IMHO, MM 5 is going to be a great step forward and the fact that I have to buy a new license is not a concern when I consider the amount of work that is going into the new version. (As long as the price is not too high :-). If you are an audio fanatic you need to download MM 5 Beta and give it a test drive. I suggest installing it in portable mode so as not to interfere with your current version. The Dev team releases new builds that need to be applied. I am anxiously waiting for a stable build to be released and new scripts to start appearing. Thanks for reading. Mike

Re: Mediamonkey 5?

by mattiasNYC » Mon Dec 02, 2019 3:36 pm

Oldngrumpy wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 2:29 pmdo i care that it's not MM20? ....get a life! because thats what MM4 allows me to have by saving me alot of time maintaining my large music base.
I don't think anybody disagrees with the above, and it isn't addressing the point(s) I made.
Oldngrumpy wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 2:29 pm@mattiasNYC
MM does have a very usable free version so it would beg the question using your logic, to why would you get even a gold license? ...for most of us users it would be to show that we appreciate the hard work the devs put into the fine piece of software! thats why!
Dude, that doesn't make any logical sense. The free version by definition lacks features that the gold version contains. Why buy "gold"? Because of those features. Exactly the same reason someone like me would pay for any future upgrade if it contains new features that I want.

As for "support": If it's all this obvious then as I said before "donations" are a thing. No reason to not go down that path for a company like this. I'm all for it.
Oldngrumpy wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 2:29 pm I can also see you are from the "Land of the Free", well if you are unhappy with the developers timescale for MM5 and subsequent updates then you are always "Free" to use something else ....or write your own software if you think you can do it any quicker! Nobody is forcing you to use this "in your opinion" outdated software!!
When did I opine that this is "outdated software"??? When did I write that?

If you're going to attribute views to me please make sure they're accurate.
Oldngrumpy wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 2:29 pmWhether we want to use a free license or buy a gold or a lifetime that is our choice, but nobody is forcing you to even use the software if you are that concerned about what you get in value for a lifetime license, for me i have already had my money's worth at this date and anything more would be a blessing.

For myself i thank the developers for their continuing dedication to this brilliant software and to all the other MM users in this forum to which i have kept track of but never until now felt the need to comment on!
Grumps
Ok, "good for you".

Re: Mediamonkey 5?

by Oldngrumpy » Sat Nov 30, 2019 2:29 pm

I have been a lifetime holder since MM2, i did not buy the license expecting more than maybe an extension on to MM3 but here we are down the line with MM4.
MM4 which even though has been the "current version" for many years and yes i do wait with everyone else for the official release of MM5 (which has also been in Beta for along time but i would rather have that than a bugfest, which alot of other devs seem to think is acceptable practice.) and guess what for my initial investment and belief in the future of MM i will get the the full version of that on release of MM5 in return!
However MM since the day i started using it, has organised my music and has done it extremly well and still does today with MM4, i'm i unhappy still using MM4? ...... Hell no! it has been kept updated regularly and that is all i ask of it, do i care that it's not MM20? ....get a life! because thats what MM4 allows me to have by saving me alot of time maintaining my large music base.

@mattiasNYC
MM does have a very usable free version so it would beg the question using your logic, to why would you get even a gold license? ...for most of us users it would be to show that we appreciate the hard work the devs put into the fine piece of software! thats why!
I can also see you are from the "Land of the Free", well if you are unhappy with the developers timescale for MM5 and subsequent updates then you are always "Free" to use something else ....or write your own software if you think you can do it any quicker! Nobody is forcing you to use this "in your opinion" outdated software!!
Whether we want to use a free license or buy a gold or a lifetime that is our choice, but nobody is forcing you to even use the software if you are that concerned about what you get in value for a lifetime license, for me i have already had my money's worth at this date and anything more would be a blessing.

For myself i thank the developers for their continuing dedication to this brilliant software and to all the other MM users in this forum to which i have kept track of but never until now felt the need to comment on!
Grumps

Re: Mediamonkey 5?

by mattiasNYC » Sun Nov 03, 2019 6:20 pm

Frankie W wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 3:13 pm 1) it is refreshing to use a piece of software that doesn't change every 6 month to a year, requiring additional learning.
I think you meant "every 6 years to a decade".

Re: Mediamonkey 5?

by dtsig » Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:14 am

Frankie W wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 3:13 pm 1) it is refreshing to use a piece of software that doesn't change every 6 month to a year, requiring additional learning.
2) it is great dealing with a solid company, not a fly-by-night operation or one that keeps getting bought up.
3) Ventis is doing a great job integrating MM with MMA.
4) they are doing a great job of continually improving both softwares. Many companies stop developing their software any further than perhaps ironing out bugs.
5) I am happy with my lifetime membership, costs and membership will only keep going up.
Well said

Re: Mediamonkey 5?

by Frankie W » Sun Oct 20, 2019 3:13 pm

1) it is refreshing to use a piece of software that doesn't change every 6 month to a year, requiring additional learning.
2) it is great dealing with a solid company, not a fly-by-night operation or one that keeps getting bought up.
3) Ventis is doing a great job integrating MM with MMA.
4) they are doing a great job of continually improving both softwares. Many companies stop developing their software any further than perhaps ironing out bugs.
5) I am happy with my lifetime membership, costs and membership will only keep going up.

Re: Mediamonkey 5?

by Skafan » Sun Aug 18, 2019 1:13 pm

MM is hands down THE BEST music manager I have ever used! I have a lifetime license (SINCE MM3) and could care less about the opportunity lost for purchasing it. In the age of Spotify and all... I am just glad that MM allows ME to control, OWN and sync ,my music! THANKS MM TEAM!

Re: Mediamonkey 5?

by dtsig » Sun Jun 16, 2019 1:43 pm

dmcritchie wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 12:41 pm Well, I don't think anyone will convince anyone else as to whether the Ventis licensing approach and release/upgrade schedule is satisfactory. Some of us are happy with it, and clearly @mattiasNYC is not.

IMHO, there is no right or wrong here. I've never yet found a business that can satisfy *all* its customers. And for some, this is probably not the right product.
Agreed.

Top