Latest update 4.1.31.1919 deleted my tree collection settings

Get answers about using the current release of MediaMonkey for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

Pietercape

Latest update 4.1.31.1919 deleted my tree collection settings

Post by Pietercape »

This update either deleted or ignores all my collection and tree settings meaning that MM needs to be set-up virtually from scratch. My collection is mainly Classical and this means spending a lot of time doing it.

I have a good back-up routine and could simply delete the new install and copy and paste the previous version but until this is resolved I cannot do updates.
Any ideas how this happened?
Lowlander

Re: Latest update 4.1.31.1919 deleted my tree collection settings

Post by Lowlander »

There aren't many settings for the Media Tree unless you were using Magic Nodes. The Collection settings would be in the database: https://www.mediamonkey.com/support/kno ... ini-files/

Can you describe what exactly was lost?
Lowlander (MediaMonkey user since 2003)
Pietercape

Post by Pietercape »

Hi Lowlander,
My tree under say Classical Music or Music consists of just 6 items - location, artist, composer, album, genre, files to edit. After the update there were more than twice as many options.

I use genre as the condition to be included under the criteria tab for classical music and I use more than 60 types. And yes, MM makes it easy by listing all the genre items in my set-up. But it is tedious as I also use 6 groups in addition to Music and Classical Music each with it's own criteria.

My point is that this should not happen after an update.This is what I found thus far, I may find more as I go along.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

That's a database setting, which version of MediaMonkey did you update from?
Pietercape

Post by Pietercape »

It is 4.1.30.1914. I went back to this version.
Pietercape

Post by Pietercape »

Hi Lowlander,
Let me give you a better picture. I use 3 Music Players and to make backup easier (I use Syncback free) they are all in a folder "Musicplayers" in C:/Program Files x86.
When I did the update I did not pay attention to the MM setup location query, I just clicked OK and MM portable was installed in :C/ as MediaMonkey. This was of course a completey new installation. I did not know that those setiings were in the DB file. I copied the MediaMonkey.ini file from the backup location. It did not work. I then decided to just go back to the previous version from the backup.

I will do a new backup of the old version - I have made changes - and will try the update on the existing version 4.1.30.1914 and come ack to you.
Pietercape

Post by Pietercape »

Hi Lowlander,
What the update did was to open a new folder "MediaMonkey" , a brand new clean installation within the existing MM Portable folder instead of just update the proram.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Where and how MediaMonkey installs depends on what you setup in the installer. The installer allows you to select where MediaMonkey is installed and if it installs as a regular or portable install.

A portable install can be deleted by deleting the install folder.
Pietercape

Post by Pietercape »

What was happening was that the installer did not like the location that I directed it to which was :C\Program\Program Files x86\MediaMonkey. It insisted that it should be :C\Program Files x86\MediaMonkey\MediaMonkey which is why it simply created a new MediaMonkey Program within the older version program folder. The new installation will not have access to MM.DB or MediaMonkey.ini which is why it comes up a a brand new installation.

Thank for helping!