Composers and Conductors in Artist node

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

Hugorx

Composers and Conductors in Artist node

Post by Hugorx »

Composers and Conductors show up in the Media tree Artist's node although the files are not tagged as such. This is only true for some files. E.g.: I have a total of 100 Abbado files as conductor, 20 of them can be found under Abbado in Artist node. Same for composers. I checked the metadata with Mediainfo & MP3Tag and the content is perfectly tagged. Files are FLAC format. I could not find any info about this issue, is this a known problem?
MM4 4.1.31.1919
IanRTaylorUK

Re: Composers and Conductors in Artist node

Post by IanRTaylorUK »

Hi Hurgorx,

For my (fairly standard) installation of MMW4, Composer and Conductor appear under another node i.e. are sub-nodes. For example:

Entire Library
--->Artist
--->Actor
--->Composer

Similar for Music and Classical Music top-level nodes.

You seem to be suggesting that Conductor and Composer appear "under" the Artist sub-node. Is this the case? Perhaps you could post a screen shot.

I can't comment on FLAC files as I do not have any in my library. But what you may want to do is view "Entire Library" with "Show Details" and enable "Columns" for Composer / Conductor.

I do this by right clicking one of the existing column titles and getting a selecting menu for ALL the columns. Just tick the extra columns you want. There are a couple of other ways to achieve the same result!
Ian Taylor
Hugorx

Post by Hugorx »

Hi Ian,

Thanks for looking.
I'm aware of the different nodes you mention.

Indeed, composers, conductor and artists get mixed up in one node.
I found out that it happens when a colon “:” is present in the album field.

In the screenshot you can see the artist list on the left which should show 'Royal Scottish National Orchestra' instead of 'Alexander Gibson'.

https://ibb.co/KrF3MX7
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
They are not Mixed but as design. Reason for that is that Artist/Album Artist is handled differently for Classical Music tracks (Track Type should state Classical Music)

Also Artist nodes can in some cases show both Artist and Album Artist which can confuses some users. If you mainly have Classical Music I would suggest that you enable that collection as it would be easier to browse.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
Hugorx

Post by Hugorx »

Hi Peke,

I have a dedicated Classical music library (Track type = Classical music) and the Album artist field is never used.
I find it hard to understand why a colon (not a semicolon) in the track Album fields results in Conductors ending up in the Artist list node. It is very consistent in MM4 and MM5 does not do that.

Composers also end up in Artist list node but only from albums I tagged about 8 or so years ago and have nothing to do with a colon in the Album field.
In both cases, the cure is to delete a character from the composers or conductors name in the corresponding fields (Schubert becomes Schuber, Abbado becomes Abbad), retag the album, add again the character to the name and retag again.
All in all no big deal since MM4 is phasing out but I thought it was a nice little anomaly to report.
IanRTaylorUK

Post by IanRTaylorUK »

Hi Hugorx,

I have a very limited number of Classical type files in my library.

However, I tried to reproduce the issue you described based on a few Type=Classical MP3s by editing the album and including several colons in the Album field. I exited MMW4 and re-started to "re-scan" my files into the library. I did not see the issue described.

Your original post mentioned FLAC.

So either I have misunderstood something OR the behaviour for FLAC files differs from that for MP3s. Is that what you are suggesting?
Ian Taylor
Hugorx

Post by Hugorx »

Hi Ian,

I converted an affected FLAC album to MP3 an added the tracks to the Classical library, leaving the FLAC's in place.
Going back to the Artist node list, the conductor of said FLAC and MP3 files had disappeared from the Artist list. I obviously have no explanation for this. Oh well...:)
IanRTaylorUK

Post by IanRTaylorUK »

Hi Hugorx,

I downloaded a FLAC and changed the Album / Conductor / Composer using properties whilst in my downloads folder. Then Auto-organised to my library and checked under various view with MMW4 and Windows. Even changed the type to Classical.

Everything behaves as expected and same as MP3.

I guess you have a mean to "correct"(?) the 100+ files now if that is important.
Ian Taylor
Hugorx

Post by Hugorx »

Hi Ian,

I'm not planning to remedie because the imported files in MM5 don't have that problem.
Which makes me think that something is wrong in my MM4 database.
Anyway, thanks a lot for taking the time!
IanRTaylorUK

Post by IanRTaylorUK »

Hi Hugorx,

Yes I think that the information does suggest a problem with the MMW4 MM.DB.

You could take a backup copy of the MM.DB and then try:
1). Add / Rescan File to Library
or
2). File / Maintain Library
or
3). Clear database and rebuild

Obviously, the last option means you will loose some tag information.

Did you install MMW5 over MMW4 i.e. so MMW5 "read / converted" the MMW4 library and imported details / settings etc.

Personally, I think there are quite a few reasons to keep running both MMW4 (CD-Burning, Add-Ons, Lyrics, Web Links) alongside MMW5.

I have had quite a few issues with MMW4 over the years BUT just re-installed the operating system and re-installed MMW4 and it is now working really sweetly. Whilst I used to run MMW5 on this PC, I have now moved it to be on a new Windows 11 laptop and it is running about OK.

Hope this helps.
Ian Taylor