Questions about Playlist Creations and Deletions

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

Bespin1138

Questions about Playlist Creations and Deletions

Post by Bespin1138 »

I use Media Monkey Player Gold Version 4.1.31.1919. I have a couple of general playlist questions. I have read Media Monkey's online guide about playlists.

1. My understanding based on what I read in the guide is that regardless of whether I add or remove a song from a playlist, it does not delete the song from either my Media Monkey library or computer. My song would still be listed and playable in my library and still be located in my assigned folder location on my computer. Am I correct in my understanding from the player's guide?

2. In relation to question one, if I create a new playlist and add songs to it and for some reason either delete the playlist or delete an existing playlist that already has songs populated in it, would my songs that were in the playlist still be listed and playable in my Media Monkey library as well as still be located in my assigned folder location on my computer?

Thanks.
Erwin Hanzl

Re: Questions about Playlist Creations and Deletions

Post by Erwin Hanzl »

1. Compare the confirmations (TOOLS> Options)

2. If you have created the confirmations as shown in the photo, a new window will appear after pressing the Delete button and let you decide to delete.

MMW 4.1.31.1919 Gold-Standardinstallation
Bespin1138

Post by Bespin1138 »

Thank you for the information. However, what I am asking is if I add a song to or delete a song from a playlist, create a new playlist and add songs to it, but for some reason decide to delete the playlist, or delete an existing playlist that already has songs listed in it, would my songs that were in those playlists still be present and playable in the Media Monkey library and still exist in their assigned folder locations where I had my songs ripped from CDs or downloaded from the web? Basically, does adding, modifying, or removing the playlists impact the song files themselves in anyway in the Media Monkey library or in the computer folders where my songs are stored or are they unaffected?

Thanks.
IanRTaylorUK

Post by IanRTaylorUK »

MMW4 Playlists are independent of the MP3 files in the music library.

However, you have the option - if MP3 file(s) are selected when viewing a Playlist - to do one of 3 things:
1). Remove from the Playlist ONLY
2). Remove from the Playlist and the MMW4 Library
3). Remove from the Playlist, Library AND the Computer
in the confirmation box that pops up (see Erwin's previous).

It is for this reason that I would personally recommend you have a backup of the MP3 files in your music library folders e.g. external hard disk copy or cloud backup storage.

I also find it useful to keep a "backup" of all my Playlists (Tools / Scripts / Export ALL Playlist).

There is also an excellent Add-On "Export / Import Playlists for Child Noes" that allows you to change the "path" during the export i.e. for "moving" Playlists to another computer / disk etc.
Ian Taylor