Somehow messed up my MediaMonkey?

Get answers about using the current release of MediaMonkey for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

JCfantasy23

Somehow messed up my MediaMonkey?

Post by JCfantasy23 »

When I now turn the program on, it says "File C:/ProgramFiles/MediaMonkey/Scripts/MediaMonkey.init.vbs cannot be opened: The file in unavailable or may not have permission to access it" I click the Ignore to all option, then of course all the "Ok" buttons when it informs me with each script it can't load.

But now it refuses to convert any song whatsoever to another format. It says cannot be decoded, possibly due to DRM restrictions. This may happen sometimes with a song every once in awhile, but there's no way all my songs would suddenly be DRM restricted.

It would be useful I guess to redownload MediaMonkey (this would be the third time), but how to avoid all the remanaging and duplications of the music library hassle?
MediaMonkey fan since 2006/ Last.FM Profile / 8Tracks Profile
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Do you have any issues on your PC with other software or other programs disappearing? Could an over anxious anti-virus be deleting the file?

I would advice to reinstall MediaMonkey again as that generally solves these issues. It is up to you to see if you can find the cause behind this issue as it's hard to determine for us.

If you use the free MediaMonkey you can only decode mp3's for 30 days. This is due to a time limited Lame encoder. You can either purchase the Gold version or replace the Lame encoder with one you can find online without time limit (time limit is due to licensing requirement for Lame encoder).
Lowlander (MediaMonkey user since 2003)
JCfantasy23

Post by JCfantasy23 »

Thanks for your answer :) I do suspect I have a virus (anyone with cable now of days always seems to, even if they never know it). The computer shuts down, especially with any music orientated activity, including just youtube, any mp 3 song on a website, media monkey, etc, etc. Nothing can be found with Zonealarm, Avast, Norton, etc, so there's no telling if this is just a bizarre coincidence.

I did not know that on encoding, but I would figure it would tell me my time limit was up rather than the DMR. I will redownload MediaMonkey, I think that's my best option right now.
JCfantasy23

Post by JCfantasy23 »

Oh, and to answer your first question - no, nothing dissapears as in files or programs, etc.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

You might have issues with the drivers of your sound card or a codec conflict. You could try reinstalling the drivers for your sound card and see if this solves some issues you have.

PS. If you feel that your machine (Windows) is fairly messed up it might be time to reinstall Windows. This often "cures" a lot of ills. Especially if you run an older version of Windows you can experience corruption of Windows resulting in all kinds of unexpected behavior.
Lowlander (MediaMonkey user since 2003)