Sync with Xbox

Get answers about using the current release of MediaMonkey for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

Slwro_child

Sync with Xbox

Post by Slwro_child »

Hello

I have a modded xbox that runs Xbox Media Center. Right now I have it setup over a wireless network to play mp3s that are on my computer. I have my playlist that is automatically generated by MM setup so it works on the xbox. It just takes forever to cache or whatever it does because of the size of the playlist. So...

Is there a way to sync my MP3 collection that is managed by MM with my xbox. I can connect it through FTP, and I think there is a way to map to it through Windows Explorer. I would love to be able to turn on my xbox, start up MM and let it sync like an Ipod or something. This way all the songs are on the xbox's hard drive, and I will not have to worry about the playlist cache time. Plus the other benefits, ie songs being there when the xbox is not connected to my local network, faster loading, yada yada

If you want to eliminate the xbox from the question then it would read like this... How do I sync a playlist to another folder on my computer? I am confident that I can map Windows Explorer to my xbox. Any help would be great, if this is in the wrong section please move to the correct area, thanks for reading!
Ronny

Post by Ronny »

I have a modded box as well. You should be able to setup an FTP program to sync the files every so often right? Make the FTP program think it is syncing with a website. It sounds like it would work.

You said that MM generates your play list? What exactly does it generate? Moving all of the MP3's over to your XBOX seems unnecessary. Can't you maintain a play list of some kind on the XBOX itself, that way it will play the songs streaming from your computer.

BTW - the 360 looks awesome Vista's media center. :D
Slwro_child

Post by Slwro_child »

Ronny wrote: You said that MM generates your play list? What exactly does it generate? Moving all of the MP3's over to your XBOX seems unnecessary. Can't you maintain a play list of some kind on the XBOX itself, that way it will play the songs streaming from your computer.
Hey Ronny, thanks for the reply. The play list that I am talking about is just my favorites. I use the rating system so any song with 3 stars or more automatically gets added to a play list. Those are the songs that I want to sync with my xbox, not my entire library of tunes.

Right now I do stream music from my computer, but I like to use the play list of my favorites. The way I did that was, first export the play list, edit the m3u so the paths will work when loading from my xbox. For instance a line will look like this in my m3u file
#EXTINF:148,(hed) Planet Earth - Firsty
smb://BIGNATECC/Mp3/(hed) Planet Earth/1997 - (hed) P.E/004 - Firsty.mp3
Quite different from normal m3u's. Really was painless to do, just a bunch of find and replaces. When I load this play list using XBMC, it just takes a while for all the tracks to load or whatever it is doing, and it is because of the size of the list. So I figured, if I copy the tracks straight to my xbox, I can skip that step and just open the folder with xbmc and hit play. I would like for it to sync, that way when I add or remove songs, my xbox stays up to date with my MM library.

Am I making sense to anyone? :-?

Also I like your idea of the website syncing thing. Maybe if I could export all the songs on my play list to a folder on my computer, then upload that folder to my xbox via ftp, and do that every so often, it would be pretty up to date. Maybe I will try that. How could I get MM to export/copy to a folder with options for folders and names? IE I want the files to copied in a certain format ie: artist - title.mp3 Thanks again for the reply.
Hexland

Post by Hexland »

You don't really want to copy files to the Xbox... it uses a disk format called FATX which limits your filenames to 40 characters, and doesn't support filenames containing certain characters which are valid under windows.

I too use XBMC, and just use normal SMB shares from my NAS... I don't use playlists though.

If you're having problems with caching - you could try experimenting with CCXGUI... this streams music from your PC/NAS/Network Share using the XMBSP protocol. I sometimes use it instead of SMB simply because I have a habit of moving my files from one server to another, and I can't be bothered having to go into the XBMC XML files and setting new locations
Ronny

Post by Ronny »

I see what you mean now. I am not too familiar with the auto-playlist function yet. I don't even have the gold version yet. (I have only been using the program for a week at best!)

I love the idea of generating a playlist based on your star rating. Is that easy to setup? I am assuming I need the gold version to do that also, right?
Running:
  • Vista Ultimate (32 Bit Version)
  • XBOX 360 Media Center Extender
  • Modded XBOX running XBMC v2.0
Slwro_child

Post by Slwro_child »

Hexland wrote:You don't really want to copy files to the Xbox... it uses a disk format called FATX which limits your filenames to 40 characters, and doesn't support filenames containing certain characters which are valid under windows.

I too use XBMC, and just use normal SMB shares from my NAS... I don't use playlists though.

If you're having problems with caching - you could try experimenting with CCXGUI... this streams music from your PC/NAS/Network Share using the XMBSP protocol. I sometimes use it instead of SMB simply because I have a habit of moving my files from one server to another, and I can't be bothered having to go into the XBMC XML files and setting new locations
Hey Hex, I am aware of the limit on the file names, found that out when I started to copy over my roms to drive, thank god for goodsnes, it renamed all the files... anyways back on topic.

I don't have a problem streaming at all. The only "problem" I have is when I first load the playlist, it takes a good 2-3 minutes doing whatever it does. If I didn't load the playlist and went to browse to a song, it starts to play right away. I want to get rid of that -3 minute loading whatever phase.

Also another reason for wanting the songs on my box is for when I get deployed/tdy. I created this xbox with that in mind, hence the 400 gig hard drive.

I do believe XBMC has zip support, at least the milkdrop plug in I have supports it. I could zip all the mp3s that I want on the xbox. this leads me to my next question...

If I use the send to - folder (copy) option in MM on my playlist that I want my xbox, i don't get an option of how the files are going to be named. Instead it just copies to the folder I select using the old file name. Anyone know of a work around for this? I would like for it to copy over in this format if possible artist/title.mp3.

I don't know, it just sounds like I am being difficult. I love MM and everything it does, money well spent. Sorry for being a pain.

*EDIT* Nevermind I kinda firuged it out on my own. I just copied the songs over in format track # - title.mp3 and transferred to the xbox. XBMC read all the tags correctly, so no need for fancy format copy options. Thanks for the help