Can MediaMonkey Completely Replace iTunes for iPod?

Get answers about using the current release of MediaMonkey for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

Iggy64

Can MediaMonkey Completely Replace iTunes for iPod?

Post by Iggy64 »

I recently received an iPod as a gift, and have begun encoding a large collection to mp3. I started playing with iTunes and found it very limiting in terms of how I could view and organize my files. So I've switched to MM and am very happy with the improvement. Now I wonder if I can dump iTunes completely. Specifically, I wonder:

(1) Can MM download future iPod software upgrades to the iPod? I understand that the iPod software needs to be updated occasionally, and I wonder if MM can do that for me.

(2) Can MM command iPod to defragment its hard disc? Do I need iTunes for that? What are the options?

(3) Forgive me for asking this again, but I'm still not sure of the answer: Can MM create AutoPlaylists that will work on the iPod? If an AutoPlaylist works OK on my computer, will it work OK on the iPod? Will it recognize new files that are added later to the iPod? If not, do I have to go back and rewrite the AutoPlaylist on my computer, then resync it to the iPod?

Thanks for any help on any of these items. I'm a newbie to both MM and iPod, and I'm sure I could benefit from others' experience.
Teknojnky

Re: Can MediaMonkey Completely Replace iTunes for iPod?

Post by Teknojnky »

I don't own an ipod and never will, so consider my answers as educated guesses.
Iggy64 wrote: (1) Can MM download future iPod software upgrades to the iPod? I understand that the iPod software needs to be updated occasionally, and I wonder if MM can do that for me.
No I am sure you need itunes or at a minimum the ipod updater utility.
(2) Can MM command iPod to defragment its hard disc? Do I need iTunes for that? What are the options?
I doubt it. You can defragment the drive by clearing and re-syncing tho.
(3) Forgive me for asking this again, but I'm still not sure of the answer: Can MM create AutoPlaylists that will work on the iPod? If an AutoPlaylist works OK on my computer, will it work OK on the iPod? Will it recognize new files that are added later to the iPod? If not, do I have to go back and rewrite the AutoPlaylist on my computer, then resync it to the iPod?
The auto-playlists in MM are dynamic, when these auto-playlists are sync to the ipod they are then STATIC and do not update on the ipod itself.

Every time you sync, if the auto-playlist in MM has changed (ie you added new files) then it would re-sync the new playlist to your ipod, again it will be STATIC while on your ipod.
Iggy64

Post by Iggy64 »

Thanks, Teknojnky.

Your observations are helpful on all three questions. I think I now understand how AutoPlaylists work, based on your explanation.

I'll do some more digging to follow up on your comments to my questions (1) and (2). If anyone else has some experience or expertise pertaining to those, I'd love to hear it.

Thanks.
Slwro_child

Re: Can MediaMonkey Completely Replace iTunes for iPod?

Post by Slwro_child »

Iggy64 wrote:I recently received an iPod as a gift, and have begun encoding a large collection to mp3. I started playing with iTunes and found it very limiting in terms of how I could view and organize my files. So I've switched to MM and am very happy with the improvement. Now I wonder if I can dump iTunes completely. Specifically, I wonder:

(1) Can MM download future iPod software upgrades to the iPod? I understand that the iPod software needs to be updated occasionally, and I wonder if MM can do that for me.

Thanks for any help on any of these items. I'm a newbie to both MM and iPod, and I'm sure I could benefit from others' experience.
1 and 2 = no. You will need Itunes installed just for these two functions. That is the only time I EVER start Itunes.
3 = Yes. The auto play list work great. And it works both ways. Sometimes i rate a song to high, and when I hear it on the ipod, I lower the star rating. Then when I sync with MM, the song gets a new rating and MM removes it from the autoplaylist that has any song with so many stars.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Doesn't Apple have standalone iPod updater software. As I don't own/use an iPod I'm just guessing.
Lowlander (MediaMonkey user since 2003)
Slwro_child

Post by Slwro_child »

They used to, but that firmware is old and if you want to use the latest, you have to use Itunes... sucks, I know.
Pablo

Post by Pablo »

Get http://www.rockbox.org and forget about Apple firmware :wink: .