I'm New & Need Help Organizing My Music Library

Get answers about using the current release of MediaMonkey for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

CSquare43

I'm New & Need Help Organizing My Music Library

Post by CSquare43 »

Hello to all & thanks in advance...I've recently been told all about what MM can do so I'm giving it a whirl, but I need some direction.

Here's my 1st dilemma:

I have music on 2 different hard drives & I want to consolidate them onto one HD. However, I have a lot of the same albums on both HD's & I don't want to duplicate them when I do the consolidation.

I have each album in it's own folder that looks like this: 'Artist - Name Of Album.

Is there a way to create a list of the albums by using their folder names? I've tried to figure this out on my own & it seems like MM is pulling each album/song by it's tags & not by folder. This won't work for me as some of my albums aren't tagged well/at all.

2nd question:
I've renamed an album & it's listed the artist by last name, then 1st name...I want it first/last. I corrected this in the 'artist node', but it didn't correct the songs. How do I do this?

Again, thanks for the help in advance.

CS
Last edited by CSquare43 on Wed May 16, 2007 12:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
nojac

Post by nojac »

Yes, MM uses the tag info, not the file names to organize the collection. (But you can view the file structure in the Library -->Location and in the My Computer-nodes)

I think you should import all your files (from both drives) to the MM-library. Then find the untagged albums, which will probably appear in the "Unknown"-sections in both Album and Artist nodes. Use Tools --> Auto-tag from filename to get the files tagged. (Test with one file to figure out how it works - a powerful tool!)

Then use Files to edit --> Duplicate Titles to find your duplicates. You will have to delete them manually, but sorting the duplicates by path you might delete all of the duplicates on one of the drives in one operation.

If you are ready for scripts, the Advanced Duplicate Find & Fix by Bex might be of help.

The Tools --> Auto-Organize files.. is another powerful tool which will be of much help once you have figured out how it works. You can use this to rename the files after you have fixed the first/last name issue in the Artist node, and much more....

There are many ways to solve your problem, you will probably get alternatives here.... Good luck! (But you should change the "Need help"-subject of your thread to tell us what it is about :) )
emalvick

Re: I'm New & Need Help Organizing My Music Library

Post by emalvick »

CSquare43 wrote:Hello to all & thanks in advance...I've recently been told all about what MM can do so I'm giving it a whirl, but I need some direction.

Here's my 1st dilemma:

I have music on 2 different hard drives & I want to consolidate them onto one HD. However, I have a lot of the same albums on both HD's & I don't want to duplicate them when I do the consolidation.

I have each album in it's own folder that looks like this: 'Artist - Name Of Album.

Is there a way to create a list of the albums by using their folder names? I've tried to figure this out on my own & it seems like MM is pulling each album/song by it's tags & not by folder. This won't work for me as some of my albums aren't tagged well/at all.

2nd question:
I've renamed an album & it's listed the artist by last name, then 1st name...I want it first/last. I corrected this in the 'artist node', but it didn't correct the songs. How do I do this?

Again, thanks for the help in advance.

CS
1. I'm not sure using Media Monkey, but one easy thing to do is to utilize the Command Prompt: Run > cmd

Navigate to the root music location for each drive using the old dos. For instance. Once you are at that location type the following:

tree > list.txt

list.txt can be whatever name you have, but it will now be a text file containing every folder under the location you are at. My setup is similar to yours so the file would look something like:

Code: Select all

Artist 1
\------Album 1
|\-----Album 2
Artist 2
|
\------Album 3

The only other option I can suggest is to look at a program like MP3Tag, which allows scripts to list your folder contents by whatever tags or file name combos you want. There is a great forum there that includes a lot of premade scripts that will surely help you out.

2. The problem you are having is a problem I had... When you look at the Artist node, it shows both "artist" and "album artist" tags. After making your changes you'll probably find a node for both "first/last" and "last, first". If you click on any one file, you want to make sure that the properties include both artist and album artist in the format you want. Of course there may be exceptions if you have a compilation where the album artist is truly different than the song artist. I recently started taking advantage of the "album artist" tag, syncing them to the "artist" tag where appropriate and utilizing the differences on compilations. THis is especially useful with my new folder structure and while using "Magic Nodes" here.

Erik[/code]

Post by Guest »

Erik,
Thanks a lot for the direction. That worked perfectly. Now I'll use MM to properly tag/etc my single HD of music.

Thanks again!!!