Can't import new tracks

Get answers about using the current release of MediaMonkey for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

TulsaMJ

Can't import new tracks

Post by TulsaMJ »

Really weird stuff happening for me today. I bought some new ApologetiX CDs, ripped them at home with MediaMonkey, put them on a flash drive to bring them to work, and then tried to import them... no good! Here's what appears to be the relevant debug stuff:
[1152] Thread initialized 556
[1152] AddToDatabaseDirs: C:\Documents and Settings\mjones\Music\ApologetiX\2004-New and Used Hits Volume 1- New
[1152] 556 DB open SQL: SELECT * FROM Medias WHERE SerialNumber=1016303432 and DriveType=3
[1152] 556 DB lock finished, took 3367136.
[1152] AddToDatabaseRec: C:\Documents and Settings\mjones\Music\ApologetiX\2004-New and Used Hits Volume 1- New
[1152] AddToDatabaseRec: Cache or Preview - exit
[1152] AddToDatabaseDirs: C:\Documents and Settings\mjones\Music\ApologetiX\2004-New and Used Hits Volume 2- Used
[1152] 556 DB open SQL: SELECT * FROM Medias WHERE SerialNumber=1016303432 and DriveType=3
[1152] 556 DB lock finished, took 3137960.
[1152] AddToDatabaseRec: C:\Documents and Settings\mjones\Music\ApologetiX\2004-New and Used Hits Volume 2- Used
[1152] AddToDatabaseDirs: C:\Documents and Settings\mjones\Music\ApologetiX\2005-Apol-acoustiX
[1152] 556 DB lock finished, took 3145568.
[1152] AddToDatabaseRec: C:\Documents and Settings\mjones\Music\ApologetiX\2005-Apol-acoustiX
[1152] AddToDatabaseDirs: C:\Documents and Settings\mjones\Music\ApologetiX\2006-Wordplay
[1152] 556 DB lock finished, took 2435456.
[1152] AddToDatabaseRec: C:\Documents and Settings\mjones\Music\ApologetiX\2006-Wordplay
[1152] AddToDatabaseDirs: C:\Documents and Settings\mjones\Music\NEW
[1152] 556 DB lock finished, took 2363120.
[1152] AddToDatabaseRec: C:\Documents and Settings\mjones\Music\NEW
[1152] Going to make final callback 556
[1152] Thread has finished 556
I've never had any trouble importing tracks before. I can actually play them through MediaMonkey, but they just won't go into my library. I tried a number of times, ran the Maintain Library script, and even rebooted the computer, all with no result. The first time I tried to import the tracks I had "ignore songs less than 20kb" checked, but even when I unchecked that they wouldn't add. Even when I moved them to a new folder hoping to confuse it long enough to add them to library. :roll:
Last edited by TulsaMJ on Tue Jul 03, 2007 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
X2Wolverine

Post by X2Wolverine »

go to options then file monitor. choose the folder where the songs are and clock 'ok.' when you close, then reopen MM, it should start scanning for them. hope this helps :)
Stephen Hawking: "Great. The entire universe was destroyed."
Fry: "Destroyed? Then where are we now?"
Al Gore: "I don't know. But I can darn well tell you where we're not: The universe!"
TulsaMJ

hope this helps

Post by TulsaMJ »

X2Wolverine wrote:go to options then file monitor. choose the folder where the songs are and clock 'ok.' when you close, then reopen MM, it should start scanning for them. hope this helps :)
Already tried it, but I just tried it again to make sure. No good. :-?
TulsaMJ

jacked

Post by TulsaMJ »

I'm really starting to think that my database file is jacked up somehow. I removed a bunch of tracks that had been fine from my library and could not re-scan them in. I really wish I knew what all the "SELECT * FROM Medias WHERE SerialNumber=1016303432 and DriveType=3" was all about. If all I need to do is increment something in the database, well, I can DO that.
TulsaMJ

mdb follies

Post by TulsaMJ »

I made a copy of the mdb file and loaded it into something I can run a query from. Then I executed this command:
DELETE FROM Medias WHERE SerialNumber=1016303432 and DriveType=3
So that effectively removed ALL tracks from my library by making it forget their location. And I STILL couldn't re-scan any of them in! So much for that... I replaced the database with my copy, so I'm still in business. If I could just find out what's pooched I can probably fix it in like 30 seconds. <SIGH>
emalvick

Post by emalvick »

This probably isn't going to help much, but have you tried a manual scan and made sure that all the correct file types are associated for the search / scan?

It seems like the problem you are having is that your drive is not being recognized correctly by MediaMonkey. The SerialNumber and DriveID are just the ID's for your hard drive... You didn't by chance install a new hard drive did you? I had a similar problem with another database program (for photographs) when I replaced the hard-drive. While I had effectively duplicated the hard drive, the different Serial Number confused the database that went on to mark all my files as offline.

You may have to unselect and reselect your hard drive in the scan process to get the program to reference the new serial number if that is the case.

I hope you figure out the problem soon (or someone else can give you better info).

Erik
TulsaMJ

rescan

Post by TulsaMJ »

Oh, believe me... I rescanned it every way I could think of. :) There's no new hard drive. I can't really work on it any more until tomorrow since I'm off work for the holiday today, but right before I left work I actually completely uninstalled and reinstalled MediaMonkey and it looked like it was actually going to be able to import the tracks. I'm still not sure what got fouled up... if anyone else has an idea or suggestion I would appreciate hearing it. I'll post anything else that I figure out here.
TulsaMJ

Reinstall

Post by TulsaMJ »

The reinstall seemed to solve the problem, even using the same mdb file, so obviously something was wrong either in the ini file or in the actual binaries of the program. Weird. <SIGH>
TulsaMJ

AGAIN!

Post by TulsaMJ »

Okay... so today I did this:
  1. Put in a new CD
  2. Added it to Virtual CD so I could put in song titles (it's a friend's original songs so it's not in FreeDB)
  3. Put in the song titles
  4. Ripped the actual CD
  5. Moved the physical files (which disassociated them from the virtual CD)
  6. Deleted the Virtual CD
  7. Tried to rescan the tracks into my library
NO LUCK! For some reason, now I can't add those tracks to my library at all. I don't know if I can add any other MP3s... I don't happen to have anything handy to work with at the moment.

Since last time it wasn't the database itself that was the problem, seems like maybe I need to investigate mediamonkey.ini and see if there's anything wiggy in there.
Teknojnky

Post by Teknojnky »

You can not add virtual cd files or folders to the library.

If you changed your virtual cd folder to part of your main library, then the monitor/add/recan will fail.
TulsaMJ

Bingo!

Post by TulsaMJ »

YES! That did it! I had change the Virtual CD folder to my "My Music" folder, with the idea that I really wanted all of my MP3s to wind up there. When I changed it to "My Music\VirtualCD" suddenly I could import tracks again!

Weird. Might be helpful if that was clearly documented somewhere... it sure gave me a few hours' worth of frustration.