Why Does MusicMatch Sounds So Much Better???

Get answers about using the current release of MediaMonkey for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

groverwestsac

Why Does MusicMatch Sounds So Much Better???

Post by groverwestsac » Fri Sep 21, 2007 12:45 am

I just switched over to MediaMonkey because the MusicMatch Jukebox I have been using for three years is trying to force me to upgrade to Yahoo and I don't want too.

I have dialed-in MediaMonkey, bought the Gold version, downloaded DFX and have it working, and have switched to the MAD output plug-in.

However, Monkey does not sound anywhere near as good as MusicMatch. It is noticeable. If I play the same song side by side the one playing in MediaMonkey has degraded sound, most noticable in the symbols and any horns. The same file playing at the same time with MusicMatch sounds like it should.

Any ideas what could be wrong with my Monkey set-up? I even downloaded the full version of Winamp to see if it was the Monkey player, but no, Winamp and Monkey sounded the same.

Overall the sound isn't high quality but, again I notice it most on cymbols (not a clean "Tsssssssss" more like "Ts-s-s-s-s-s-s-") and horns seem to vibrate.

I want to use MediaMonkey because I like the database functionality, so any help would be apprecaited.

Lowlander

Post by Lowlander » Fri Sep 21, 2007 8:56 pm

You can change output plugin to achieve a better results. You can find more output plugins on the WinAmp plugin website.
Lowlander (MediaMonkey user since 2003)

Post by Guest » Thu Sep 27, 2007 2:32 pm

Yeah I've always noticed this too. MediaMonkey plays my songs lower and with less Oomph than say, listening to websites or another program. Oh well I ignore it because I love the program.

Teknojnky

Post by Teknojnky » Thu Sep 27, 2007 2:44 pm

It is not necessarily winamp/monkey that sound bad, its very likely that MMJ has some sort of additional sound processing that cause it to sound 'better' and by better, I mean different.

My mediamonkey sounds great with no added processing. 8)

edit: btw if it sounds lower you may want to check to see if playback volume leveling is enabled (play menu > level play back volume).

rovingcowboy

Post by rovingcowboy » Thu Sep 27, 2007 2:53 pm

i'll second teknojnky on that one.

i think mmj has an built in bass / treble booster, instead of using a plugin. 8)
roving cowboy / keith hall. My skins http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =9&t=16724 for some help check on Monkey's helpful messages at http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 4008#44008 MY SYSTEMS.1.Jukebox WinXp pro sp 3 version 3.5 gigabyte mb. 281 GHz amd athlon x2 240 built by me.) 2.WinXP pro sp3, vers 2.5.5 and vers 3.5 backup storage, shuttle 32a mb,734 MHz amd athlon put together by me.) 3.Dell demension, winxp pro sp3, mm3.5 spare jukebox.) 4.WinXp pro sp3, vers 3.5, dad's computer bought from computer store. )5. Samsung Galaxy 5 Android 5) 6. Proscan tablet Android 4.3 ) 7. amd a8-5600 apu 3.60ghz mm version 4 windows 7 pro bought from computer store.

TwiztidSinz

Post by TwiztidSinz » Thu Sep 27, 2007 3:06 pm

All it is, is distortion..

It's distorting the sound of the MP3 (or other music file) in a way that 'sounds better' to the 'average listener' as decided upon by the people who work with MMJB's code.

You can most likely achieve the same effect with the Equalizer with a little playing around.
Motherboard: Intel D915PBL
Processor: Intel Pentium 4 550 Prescott 3.4GHz LGA 775 (w/ Hyper-Threading)
Memory: Corsair 2048MB (512x4) DDR2 533 (PC2 4200) Dual Channel
Hard Drive: Western Digital WD800JD 80 GB / WD2500JS 250 GB / WD2500KS 250 GB
Video Card: Sapphire RADEON X1600 XT 256MB 128-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16

Post by Guest » Tue Oct 23, 2007 6:27 pm

MusicMatch supports mp3PRO format, which plays back at a lower bit-rate in decoders that do not natively support the format. Is it possible that your MP3 were recorded in this format?

Lowlander

Post by Lowlander » Tue Oct 23, 2007 9:29 pm

MediaMonkey supports MP3PRO playback through this plugin.
Lowlander (MediaMonkey user since 2003)

Scooter

Post by Scooter » Wed Oct 24, 2007 3:45 pm

MM plays the track flat, no boost for treble or bass.

You can change this with MM's EQ or your stereo system.

Personally, most audiophiles believe that flat is best, unless there is some peculiar characteristic to you room.
Regards,

Scooter
Registered Lifetime Gold Licensee
Since 2006

HP Z800 Workstation > M Audio I/O > 1g Cat6 Network > Dell Inspiron > M Audio I/O > Adcom Preamp > Vandersteen Crossover > Adcom Power Amp > Vandersteen 3 Speakers > Vandersteen 2wq Subwoofer

Peke

Post by Peke » Wed Oct 24, 2007 3:56 pm

I must Agree with Scooter. I always tend to set Plain and EQ Flat (maybe room size and speaker position in some cases but like Scooter I do settings on my Amp not on computer. I also tested WOW plugin and it works very well on standalone speakers sets (I was surprised that it can clear some sound freq that speakers itself do not support with boosting other frequencies) but when you use Digital output it adds clipping and distortion to original sound and actually make it much worse (most of low freqs are sound so bad and un-natural) as for example I have Hi-Fi that supports 20-25Khz output where I can easily see problems playing tunes on 160w RMS where Bass wants to pop out due to clipping and loosing on power.
Best regards,
Pavle
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to add SCREENSHOTS to forum

matthewhargrove

Re: Why Does MusicMatch Sounds So Much Better???

Post by matthewhargrove » Thu Dec 03, 2009 5:37 pm

So after almost two years of not using Media Monkey because the sound was grating on my ears, I went back and played with it last night. Turns out it is the "preamp" setting in the equalizer. If it is set at "0" or higher it sound really distorted. Simply pulling the preamp lever down a bit clears it up and now it actually sounds a lot better than the other program I was using.

Don't know if this is a software issue, or if there is something wrong with my sound card.

Anyhow, thought I'd report back. I now feel dumb and cheated out of almost two years of Media Monkey because I didn't stumble across this the first time around!

nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 » Thu Dec 03, 2009 6:53 pm

matthewhargrove wrote:So after almost two years of not using Media Monkey because the sound was grating on my ears, I went back and played with it last night. Turns out it is the "preamp" setting in the equalizer. If it is set at "0" or higher it sound really distorted. Simply pulling the preamp lever down a bit clears it up and now it actually sounds a lot better than the other program I was using.

Don't know if this is a software issue, or if there is something wrong with my sound card.

Anyhow, thought I'd report back. I now feel dumb and cheated out of almost two years of Media Monkey because I didn't stumble across this the first time around!
... Or just turn the equalizer off! :wink:
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.

rovingcowboy

Post by rovingcowboy » Thu Dec 03, 2009 8:12 pm

what ? turn off the EQ, thats nuts. just turn the preamp down or got to the windows settings in the controll panel for sound on the first tab you see speakers advanced button, click it and turn the power for the speaker volume down from full power since that is where their preamp setting is adjusted at. :)

what you describe matthewhargrove is called over modulation in raido transmitting, which makes the reciver of the transmission get your voice like you are static, and cutting out. just like the cell phones today use volumn controll to save their electrionic parts from being fryed by people playing loud guitar amps in to them for some one to hear, the phone cuts that down and off if too loud.

the same thing is called overpowering in speaker terms.
roving cowboy / keith hall. My skins http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =9&t=16724 for some help check on Monkey's helpful messages at http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 4008#44008 MY SYSTEMS.1.Jukebox WinXp pro sp 3 version 3.5 gigabyte mb. 281 GHz amd athlon x2 240 built by me.) 2.WinXP pro sp3, vers 2.5.5 and vers 3.5 backup storage, shuttle 32a mb,734 MHz amd athlon put together by me.) 3.Dell demension, winxp pro sp3, mm3.5 spare jukebox.) 4.WinXp pro sp3, vers 3.5, dad's computer bought from computer store. )5. Samsung Galaxy 5 Android 5) 6. Proscan tablet Android 4.3 ) 7. amd a8-5600 apu 3.60ghz mm version 4 windows 7 pro bought from computer store.