V2.5.5.998 - How to get library Track List to refresh?

Get answers about using the current release of MediaMonkey for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

chrisjj

V2.5.5.998 - How to get library Track List to refresh?

Post by chrisjj » Sat Oct 06, 2007 7:24 am

When I change tags in an external program, the library Track List doesn't reflect the change. How to I get the Track List to refresh?

Not "Add/Rescan Tracks to the Library..." it seems - it offers no way of rescanning just the existing tracks that I can see.

Nor leaving and returning to that node - though this works for My Computer nodes.

Thanks.
Chris

rovingcowboy

Post by rovingcowboy » Sat Oct 06, 2007 2:10 pm

DON'T CHANGE TAGS IN ANY OTHER PROGRAM.!!!!

turn on the option in mm to get the information from the tags if the time date stamp has changed.
then rescan your files since the tags were changed at a different time then when they were added in to mm's database
they should be changed.

if not then go back to the first statement above. 8)
roving cowboy / keith hall. My skins http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =9&t=16724 for some help check on Monkey's helpful messages at http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 4008#44008 MY SYSTEMS.1.Jukebox WinXp pro sp 3 version 3.5 gigabyte mb. 281 GHz amd athlon x2 240 built by me.) 2.WinXP pro sp3, vers 2.5.5 and vers 3.5 backup storage, shuttle 32a mb,734 MHz amd athlon put together by me.) 3.Dell demension, winxp pro sp3, mm3.5 spare jukebox.) 4.WinXp pro sp3, vers 3.5, dad's computer bought from computer store. )5. Samsung Galaxy 5 Android 5) 6. Proscan tablet Android 4.3 ) 7. amd a8-5600 apu 3.60ghz mm version 4 windows 7 pro bought from computer store.

Lowlander

Post by Lowlander » Sat Oct 06, 2007 10:55 pm

To refresh tag information you will need to use Add/Rescan Tracks. To only scan files in the library you will need to select those folders already in your library. This can be achieved easily by using the location node. Browse to the folder you want to refresh right click on the folder node and select Add/Rescan Tracks.

In the MediaMonkey options you will need to make sure that you allow MediaMonkey to rescan tracks for tag changes. The timestamp option only works if your other application changes the timestamp when you edit tags.

At last make sure that your other application actually updates the files themselves as otherwise MediaMonkey can't see the changes.
Lowlander (MediaMonkey user since 2003)

chrisjj

Post by chrisjj » Mon Oct 08, 2007 9:05 pm

> turn on the option in mm to get the information from
> the tags if the time date stamp has changed.

Excellent, thanks. Where can I find this option? I cannot see it anywhere.
Chris

chrisjj

Post by chrisjj » Mon Oct 08, 2007 9:15 pm

> To only scan files in the library you will need to select
> those folders already in your library. This can be
> achieved easily by using the location node.

Thanks, but I can find no way of doing that using the Location node, or at all. If I rescan a folder, MM doesn't "only scan files in the library" - it unfortunately readds the files that I removed from the library because I don't want them there.
Chris

nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 » Mon Oct 08, 2007 9:42 pm

chrisjj wrote:> To only scan files in the library you will need to select
> those folders already in your library. This can be
> achieved easily by using the location node.

Thanks, but I can find no way of doing that using the Location node, or at all. If I rescan a folder, MM doesn't "only scan files in the library" - it unfortunately readds the files that I removed from the library because I don't want them there.
Then you should remove those files you don't want in your library to another folder on your HDD.
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.

Lowlander

Post by Lowlander » Mon Oct 08, 2007 9:55 pm

Yes, MediaMonkey will readd deleted files. You could not scan for that specific filetype if all deleted files have a different one, or you can check out the permanent filters in MediaMonkey 3, to still have those deleted files in the library, but filter them out.

The easiest would be to move deleted files to a different folder you don't scan into MediaMonkey like Nohitter151 suggested.

You can find the rescan option in the options.
Lowlander (MediaMonkey user since 2003)

rovingcowboy

Post by rovingcowboy » Wed Oct 10, 2007 4:44 pm

chrisjj wrote:> turn on the option in mm to get the information from
> the tags if the time date stamp has changed.

Excellent, thanks. Where can I find this option? I cannot see it anywhere.
i think it is under the library node on the options tree.

not sure wait a sec.. i'll start mm 2 and look.

yep its under the library node just go to the menu bar in mm 2 click on the word tools then on that menu click on the word options.
then on that panel click on the library node and look at the 3rd checkbox from the bottom of the options.

but as lowlander said if your other program did not change the time stamp then that wont work.. :-?

8)
roving cowboy / keith hall. My skins http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =9&t=16724 for some help check on Monkey's helpful messages at http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 4008#44008 MY SYSTEMS.1.Jukebox WinXp pro sp 3 version 3.5 gigabyte mb. 281 GHz amd athlon x2 240 built by me.) 2.WinXP pro sp3, vers 2.5.5 and vers 3.5 backup storage, shuttle 32a mb,734 MHz amd athlon put together by me.) 3.Dell demension, winxp pro sp3, mm3.5 spare jukebox.) 4.WinXp pro sp3, vers 3.5, dad's computer bought from computer store. )5. Samsung Galaxy 5 Android 5) 6. Proscan tablet Android 4.3 ) 7. amd a8-5600 apu 3.60ghz mm version 4 windows 7 pro bought from computer store.

chrisjj

Post by chrisjj » Wed Oct 10, 2007 9:08 pm

> the 3rd checkbox from the bottom of the options.

Ah, the second of:

. [ ] Update Track info from Tags when rescanning files
..... [ ] Only for files with changed timestamp or size

But since that only works on manual rescan (on non-Gold) and there's no way of manually rescanning just the existing files, that doesn't solve the problem.

Thanks anyway for the suggestion.

PS Is there any workaround for the forum bug that collapses consecutive spaces (try a reply to this to see some here ) upon display?
Chris

chrisjj

Post by chrisjj » Sun Oct 21, 2007 2:13 pm

> Then you should remove those files you don't want in
> your library to another folder on your HDD.

Thanks for the idea, but unfortunately that would cause all sorts of problems, such as breaking every other reference to them e.g. from the WMP library and my .m3u playlists.
Last edited by chrisjj on Sat Jan 17, 2009 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chris

colin_e

Post by colin_e » Sun Oct 21, 2007 4:14 pm

chrisjj wrote: PS Is there any workaround for the forum bug that collapses consecutive spaces (try a reply to this to see some here ) upon display?
This isn't a bug it's a "feature". Normal text renders through HTML, and in HTML consecutive whitespace characters are treated as a single space. Use the CODE tags if you want to preformat your text, including spaces.
Regards: Colin

chrisjj

Post by chrisjj » Sun Oct 21, 2007 5:03 pm

> This isn't a bug it's a "feature".

What makes you think so?

> Normal text renders through HTML, and in HTML consecutive
> whitespace characters are treated as a single space.

Only if the conversion from normal text to HTML fails to use the appropriate character entity.

> Use the CODE tags if you want to preformat your text

Thanks, but I don't want to preformat my text. I just want characters not to be lost.
Last edited by chrisjj on Sat Jan 17, 2009 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chris

colin_e

Post by colin_e » Sun Oct 21, 2007 5:20 pm

chrisjj wrote:> This isn't a bug it's a "feature".

What makes you think so?

> Normal text renders through HTML, and in HTML consecutive
> whitespace characters are treated as a single space.

Only if the conversion from normal text to CDATA fails to use the appropriate character entity.

> Use the CODE tags if you want to preformat your text

Thanks, but I don't want to preformat my text. I just want characters not to be lost.
Take a look at the HTML source of this page. The multiple spaces have been retained in your original posting and in the quoted references, however this text is rendered as plain paragraph text in the output, so the browser collapses the whitespace. I don't see any CDATA involved, as far as spaces are concerned it's text in, text out.
Regards: Colin

chrisjj

Post by chrisjj » Tue Oct 23, 2007 8:38 am

> Take a look at the HTML source of this page.

Yup. It has failed to translate multiple spaces. That's why it fails to preserve them in display.

Take a look of the source of a decent webmail page. It does encode multiple spaces. That's how it succeeds in preserving them in display.

> as far as spaces are concerned it's text in, text out.

Quite how the designer thought that was going to work properly, GOK.
Chris