Best way to handle "padded" tracks

Get answers about using the current release of MediaMonkey for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

colin_e

Best way to handle "padded" tracks

Post by colin_e » Sat Oct 20, 2007 9:46 am

Some tracks have long sections of silent "padding", that waste a ton of disc space when ripped. The most extreme example i've seen so far is the last track on Robbie Williams' "Ive Been Expecting You" album.

The last track (These Dreams) actually contains two bonus tracks plus nearly 25 minutes of silence. At 112k bitrate it consumes 25MB for one track!

Presumably VBR would be a bit better at handling this?

Ideally MM would have an option to auto-split tracks on a definable period of silence, but I don't think it does.

Failing this, is the only option to load the track up into something like Audacity and split it manually into 3 sensible-sized tracks?
Regards: Colin

Lowlander

Post by Lowlander » Sat Oct 20, 2007 9:48 am

I too assume that VBR would reduce the amount of filesize silence would occupy.

As for editing audio, this is on the wishlist, but there are already some excellent programs out there like the free Audacity.
Lowlander (MediaMonkey user since 2003)

colin_e

Post by colin_e » Sat Oct 20, 2007 12:48 pm

Well, VBR saved a little on file size, but not enough to get excited about.

By comparison, an hour installing Audacity + LAME and learning the basics of driving them, allowed me to strip ~10MB of encoded silence out of this one track!

Now if I could only work out how to get Audacity to re-encode through LAME with VBR enabled...

colin_e

Post by colin_e » Sun Oct 21, 2007 9:54 am

BTW, I've found there are some freeware tools to do direct cutting+splicing of MP3's. This is less flexible than using Audacity, but avoids the potential quality loss of decoding and re-encoding the music.

I'm going to try a couple (mp3DirectCut is first) and i'll let you know what they are like.

emalvick

Post by emalvick » Sun Oct 21, 2007 6:08 pm

colin_e wrote:Well, VBR saved a little on file size, but not enough to get excited about.

By comparison, an hour installing Audacity + LAME and learning the basics of driving them, allowed me to strip ~10MB of encoded silence out of this one track!

Now if I could only work out how to get Audacity to re-encode through LAME with VBR enabled...
From what I remember, setting up Audacity to re-encode through LAME is customizable. You just have to really dig through the settings.

fizzjob

Post by fizzjob » Mon Oct 22, 2007 9:16 am

You already found the program, but I'll just reiterate that MP3DirectCut is the way to go, since it'll directly edit the MP3 so you won't lose any quality.

MQ.

Post by MQ. » Mon Oct 29, 2007 11:25 am

There is no better tool for this job than mp3DirectCut.
Cutting & Splitting mp3 files without quality loss. Your id3 tags stay intact!
You can't beat the price, the small size and the features of this excellent program.

While you're at it you may want to check out his other program 1by1 which does a great job of playing your music collection on very old hardware.
It doesn't have all the great features MediaMonkey has, and it's rather ugly compared to MM too, but it's an amazing piece of software for it's small size.
(1by1 v1.20 was only 26kb for example, the current v1.62 installer is a mere 106kb)
http://mpesch3.de1.cc/